Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 22,130 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are relocation to the area and I would very much appreciate some local opinion as to which areas are best. Their will be my husband, myself and our three girls(elementary and middle school ages). We are considering Windermere and Oviedo but are open to other areas. The schools are our main concern. My husbands work will be near Waterford lakes town center area so I know Oviedo is closer but he doesn't mind a short drive. I work from home. We would like something newer (not more 10 years old) with preferably newer surroundings and a neighborhood with families/children. Currently we have the largest house in our neighborhood and would like to avoid that when purchase in orlando. We learn our lesson because it doesn't do well for resell value. Our budget is 400k-700k. Thanks for your advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
Personally I prefer Windermere, but it is a bit of a drive. Keep in mind he'll have to take toll road 408 to work everyday. The backside of Windermere, around 535 and Reams Rd. is almost all new construction, with a brand new high school being built for the area. I don't think you'd have to worry about having the largest house, as generally the houses are all very similar within a subdivision.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:56 AM

27,192 posts, read 43,886,661 times
If working on the east side near Waterford Lakes, Oviedo by far makes the most sense...especially when factoring in schools. The drive to and from Windermere would not only be a toll road situation daily, but approximately 45 minutes to an hour drive time during rush hours.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
I also prefer Windermere, but that would be an annoying commute unless you're coming from a major city like Los Angeles, where you are used to hour commutes.

Oviedo is still a nice and safe community with great schools too. It would make the most sense between the two choices.

If I were you though, I'd rather get less house and buy in Winter Park, which has a much better central location with great schools, safety and the big bonus... tons of restaurants, coffee shops, and things to see. It's a very nice town as well, great farmers market on the weekend. You aren't in the outskirts of Central Florida. It's just overall one of the nicest, if not nicest parts of Central Florida. With that being said, you pay a premium for that, but your budget will still get you a house.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 AM

617 posts, read 832,461 times
A $700k house in Oviedo will get you a very nice new build. Not sure what kind of level of "luxury" you're used to, but Oviedo is a very middle class suburbs. You're not going to see rows of mansions here like you would in Windermere (one of the most expensive areas in Central FL). Oviedo is a great suburb though with good schools and a family friendly sense of community.

I would also look into Winter Park. A lot of older smaller homes are being torn down in great neighborhoods with new construction being built. Your budget will not go as far in Winter Park, but $700k will still get you a very nice house. Just be prepared to be living among million dollar houses (kind of the opposite of what you're dealing with now).

As others have said, Windermere is WAY too far of a commute to Waterford Lakes. That's an easy hour long commute during rush hour.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 22,130 times
Thanks for the advise

Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I also prefer Windermere, but that would be an annoying commute unless you're coming from a major city like Los Angeles, where you are used to hour commutes.

Oviedo is still a nice and safe community with great schools too. It would make the most sense between the two choices.

If I were you though, I'd rather get less house and buy in Winter Park, which has a much better central location with great schools, safety and the big bonus... tons of restaurants, coffee shops, and things to see. It's a very nice town as well, great farmers market on the weekend. You aren't in the outskirts of Central Florida. It's just overall one of the nicest, if not nicest parts of Central Florida. With that being said, you pay a premium for that, but your budget will still get you a house.
I agree regarding Winter Park other than the fact you will get a lot less house than what is in Oviedo. The average price per square foot in Winter Park is $287 while Oviedo is very nearly half that at $145. So in other words a 2500 square foot home in WP will run around 715K depending upon condition, while in Oviedo it would run about 360K. A tad over 350K seems rather significant in my opinion and given the lack of a drop off in lifestyle/amenities would find it difficult to merit spending that much more, unless mortgaging to the hilt for "prestige" is worth that much to you.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree regarding Winter Park other than the fact you will get a lot less house than what is in Oviedo. The average price per square foot in Winter Park is $287 while Oviedo is very nearly half that at $145. So in other words a 2500 square foot home in WP will run around 715K depending upon condition, while in Oviedo it would run about 360K. A tad over 350K seems rather significant in my opinion and given the lack of a drop off in lifestyle/amenities would find it difficult to merit spending that much more, unless mortgaging to the hilt for "prestige" is worth that much to you.
It's not about prestige, it's about do you want to live in a bland suburb on the outskirt of town or in a thriving quaint peaceful community in the center of town.

We are not talking California prices here... the OP's budget will still get them a home in the 2000 square foot range, granted they could get a 4000 square foot home in Oviedo for the same price, but is it worth it? Only the OP can answer that.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We are not talking California prices here...
Ummm, yes we are. The SF Bay area median home price is 700K, the LA area median home price is 600K and San Diego comes in at 500K. A 2000 square foot home in Winter Park would land in the 575K-600K bracket. For a home outside of Orlando, Florida. The salary differential alone makes that a terrible idea.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:23 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
I live in Oviedo and my children went to school here and in Winter Springs. I prefer Oviedo of those two. My budget is less than yours and as a now single retiree my needs are less, but Oviedo gives me everything I could want.

One man's positive is another persons' negative.

But if I had the $$$ I wouldn't mind at all getting one of those condos in downtown Winter Park where I could partake of a kinda urban walking lifestyle. At my age, that would be kind of romantic. Even Maitland condo would be good. I used to take dance lessons at the activity center there. (maybe I am just getting to that stage of life)

But with school age children, there is a lot to be said with the number of good kids in Oviedo, the parks and activities, the schools, and the quality of youth sports and activities. Many of my son's little league buddies ended up pro and several of his coaches were former professional players who coached the "love of the game" not just the skills. My daughter was a marvelous sprinter of near olympic quality who got good coaching and clean recognition

I wouldn't chose Windermere myself. My experience has been (having lived in affluent areas and less affluent areas by choice) that it is better for (my) kids to be in a more middle class environment. Affluence brings a different world which may be OK for adults but less so for growing young ones.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando