Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 10,443 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in the Harmony community, my husband and i are moving to the Orlando area, he works remotely and i am a self employed lawyer so daily commuting is also not an issue. I find myself very attracted to Harmony but what i am reading online that being said i am concerned that the real estate listings seem to be sitting for over six months as compared to say Windermere where real estate sits for week, maybe, it has me concerned that buying in Harmony may not be a good investment. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand Harmony is off the beaten path but how far is it realistically form any place that is growing and/or with a decent population, say Lake Nona etc.? Fast growing areas are great for my business so Windermere looks great but like i said Harmony is speaking to me....i have a 6 and 8 year old and i am really looking for a community that feels like a neighborhood where kids play in the street, they can walk to school, there are community amenities like playgrounds, pools trails etc. Does anyone have any other recommendations for specific neighborhoods to get that feel in a place that may not be as remote. Price range is $350,000-$400,000.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Harmony is just too far out and Kissimmee/St. Cloud don't have the best name. If you aren't into dining out often, then I think Lake Nona or Windermere/Dr. Phillips would be fine choices. I would also include Oviedo.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM

378 posts, read 487,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you aren't into dining out often, then I think Lake Nona or Windermere/Dr. Phillips would be fine choices
Did I read that right? I always thought Dr. Phillips, and Windermere by association since its nearby had plenty of options

Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 AM

I'm not familiar with the community so I'm going to assume you mean the area off 192 (Harmony High School)? If this is the case then thats way off the beaten path IMO (Getting close to Holopaw which is known for camping/hunting/off-roading).

If you're looking to relocate to the Orlando area then I'm with bmx on Windermere/Dr. Phillips, but would also add Lake Nona and Winter Garden (Specifically the southern portion known as Horizons West or Hamlin) due to the development that is occurring that should help maintain/grow your resale value if thats a concern.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
Did I read that right? I always thought Dr. Phillips, and Windermere by association since its nearby had plenty of options
Oops! That was a typo, I meant that for Lake Nona, not Windermere or Dr Phillips haha.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:25 AM

I have done a bit of research on Winter Garden/Windermere as well as that was our first thought. I am trying to learn more about the Independence Summerlake and Summerport neighborhoods, do they have that neighborhood feel, does anyone know anything about the specifically? When you say Harmony is pretty far out what do you mean, such as it takes 15-20 minutes to get to a grocery store or a target? Or it takes an hour to get downtown? When i map out certain neighborhoods to say Disney parks or the Airport even some houses in Windermere, Doctor Phillips and Winter Garden tell me its 40-45 minutes or so which blows my mind as they are no more than 7 miles from Disney in particular, whereas when i map out Harmony to say Disney it says 50 minutes and its 30 miles. I don't need to be close to something if it just means i am going to sit in traffic and take me just as long to get there anyway.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Dr Phillips is in my opinion the most convenient district in Orlando.

You have 3 publix, 1 whole foods, 1 trader joes, 1 fresh market, 1 walmart neighborhood markets, banks, restaurants, bars etc all right there. You are about 20-30 minutes at any time from disney, 5-10 minutes at any time from Universal, 10-15 minutes from international drive, 15-20 minutes from mall at millenia, two orlando premium outlets, seaworld, 20-30 minutes to florida mall, 10-20 minutes from disney springs, 20-30 minutes to MCO.... basically it's central to shopping, theme parks, airport, restaurants, doctors, groceries etc. I can shop at publix, trader joes, whole foods with a 5 minute drive. Sorry I'm on my phone typing lol.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 AM

That is extremely good to know, from what i was seeing on the map app i was using it kept saying it would take 45 minutes to get to the magic Kingdom from most addresses in DP (i am using Hotpads.com and they have a map app) i am not necessarily all that concerned with getting to the magic kingdom on a daily basis but i was using it as a point of reference to see how far everything was from "the attractions" and my husband is a disney freak, that aside, i kept thinking how is that possible given it is only 5.3 miles away, it gave me the impression that the area was seriously congested traffic wise and i don't want it to take me 15 minutes to cross the street, its great i can see it from my house but if i cant get there that isn't helpful.....maybe the app is counting waiting for the ferry or something from the transportation center i don't know

Old 06-29-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcerasuolo View Post
That is extremely good to know, from what i was seeing on the map app i was using it kept saying it would take 45 minutes to get to the magic Kingdom from most addresses in DP (i am using Hotpads.com and they have a map app) i am not necessarily all that concerned with getting to the magic kingdom on a daily basis but i was using it as a point of reference to see how far everything was from "the attractions" and my husband is a disney freak, that aside, i kept thinking how is that possible given it is only 5.3 miles away, it gave me the impression that the area was seriously congested traffic wise and i don't want it to take me 15 minutes to cross the street, its great i can see it from my house but if i cant get there that isn't helpful.....maybe the app is counting waiting for the ferry or something from the transportation center i don't know
I live in DP and have annual passes to all the parks including Disney. It has never taken me 45 minutes, ever haha. Depending which park, it will typically always be between 15-30 minutes. There are also multiple routes you can take from DP as well.

Google Maps is pretty accurate, so I'd use that from now on to get an idea on how long it would take during various times of the day.

Epcot for example right now is around 17-19 minutes from my home and Disney Springs is 11-13 minutes right now.

You can find homes in your budget along Apopka Vineland Road (South of Sand Lake Road). It's a very nice area, I moved from San Francisco and absolutely love it.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I am trying to learn more about the Independence Summerlake and Summerport neighborhoods, do they have that neighborhood feel, does anyone know anything about the specifically?
I'm currently in the Summerlake neighborhood, so if you have any questions let me know, but yeah they have that neighborhood feel and the HOA does a lot to get people together for introductions and such.

Quote:
When you say Harmony is pretty far out what do you mean, such as it takes 15-20 minutes to get to a grocery store or a target? Or it takes an hour to get downtown?
IMO I would say thats a country/rural area and would take you awhile to get to the usual Orlando items (Theme Parks, Airport, Beaches or etc).

Quote:
When i map out certain neighborhoods to say Disney parks or the Airport even some houses in Windermere, Doctor Phillips and Winter Garden tell me its 40-45 minutes or so which blows my mind as they are no more than 7 miles from Disney in particular, whereas when i map out Harmony to say Disney it says 50 minutes and its 30 miles.
It would likely depend on time of day as rush hour will likely impact things a bit. I work from home so the only real issues I encounter are the occasional backup on i-4 or around the i-drive exits during the peak times, but traffic still flows fairly decently (I was in Miami for 3 years and had to deal with full stop traffic jams almost daily)

As far as travel times - I can get anywhere I need to be in Orlando (Dr Phillips/Restaurant row, i-drive, universal and etc) within 30 minutes with very few exceptions (I.E. If I need to visit Valencia East Campus, that is usually a 40 min. drive) and 15-20 minutes to the Kissimmee/192 area (Magic Kingdom, Downtown Disney and frequent lunch spots)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando