Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,747,890 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a thing like this? I just moved here about a month and a half ago and I'd love to find some recent moves from California who I can chat with. I'm starting to have doubts about Orlando (this heat is crazy!) and I need to find people that have made this move to remind myself why I left in the first place.

The heat is bad enough for me, but the worst thing is my dog... I have to take him out at 7:30 at the latest in the morning to get him some park time or it gets too hot. Even at that time it's still 80 degrees and I worry it's still too hot for him. We can only hang out for like 20-30 minutes max and then I have to take him home. He likes to chase squirrels and I'm worried he won't stop until he's dead unless I force him to stop. Then it hovers at like 90 until 9 and it's still 80 out at that time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 11:18 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,454,542 times
You could start one on meetup.com

Sounds like you didn't do your homework prior to moving.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:56 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,078,986 times
Well, California is a big state so you might wish to seek out something a bit more specific.
I find people from Fresno, Marin County, and Los Angeles don't have a ton in common.

Plus, if you ask me Californians are probably the best reason to LEAVE the state, so why seek them out?

To put your worries aside though, this is summer. It's like the winter in the Northeast. Worst season hands down. It cools off in late Sept. and is beautiful through May.

There are plenty of dogs in Orlando. They don't die if you keep an eye on them.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Did you not know that it gets hot in Florida for the entire summer before you moved? Like that won't change. Give it another 7 or 8 weeks or so and the weather will break and from October until about May the weather will be much less extreme. In Dec, Jan and Feb, you'll even get some cold nights and days up in Orlando, but give it until October and you'll notice much better weather.

Keep in mind, you've only been on otown for a month or two--- that's not nearly enough time to be acclimated. You might wanna try getting out and checking out some local swimming areas or try kayacking or paddleboarding. Maybe plan a weekend at one of the beaches in the Tampa area. Try and make the best of the warm weather, but I promise you it'll become less hot by about late Sept. Walk your dog in the evenings, even tho the air is hot as long as the sun is not beating down on the dog--it'll be fine. Be sure to bring water and keep the dog hydrated.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 PM

cfbs2691 I knew it was hot, but guess I wasn't prepared for how it would actually be to live here.

WithDisp, good point about Californians being the reason to leave. Certainly part of my decision!

Optimus, I have gone up to New Smyrna a few times and love water sports. We are in a small short term rental for now so I can't purchase a kayak and can't keep renting them. I have yet to get out on the lakes in Orlando. I'd love to take my 30 lb dog on the kayak, but I fear of him falling in and getting snatched by a gator.

For myself I think I'd be fine, it's mostly the dog. I feel bad for him.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Have you gone to Fleet People's Dog Park in Baldwin Park? It's a huge park where dogs can swim in the lake- perfect for keeping cool on these hot summer days. I'm sure your dog will be fine. My dog made it through 17 summers here. I've never heard of a dog dropping dead from FL heat (aside from awful locked car situations), and I've lived here a long time.

You'll get used to the heat, although FL summer will always be hot. Our winters are wonderful though.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Have you gone to Fleet People's Dog Park in Baldwin Park? It's a huge park where dogs can swim in the lake- perfect for keeping cool on these hot summer days. I'm sure your dog will be fine. My dog made it through 17 summers here. I've never heard of a dog dropping dead from FL heat (aside from awful locked car situations), and I've lived here a long time.

You'll get used to the heat, although FL summer will always be hot. Our winters are wonderful though.
No have not been to fleet dog park yet. Is the swimming safe? What about Gators? I'm not really worried about the dog dying, more that he'll be unhappy and not get out enough. You know how crazy Californians are about their dogs....

Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I moved from San Francisco at end of 2015 / start of 2016, but the weather in Florida was one of the main reasons for moving. Do more water activities during the summer months. Go to a dog beach like in Melbourne, take your dog to Kings Landing in Apopka, you could even go to Lake Baldwin Dog Park, so your dog can swim (it will be hot for you though), but I'd really recommend Kings Landing. As far as worrying about your dog dying of heat, don't worry, I have numerous friends with huskies and one has a keeshond and they play for a long time even in summer. Just bring water with you or use the water at most dog parks.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:02 PM

Ok but what about the Gators!?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:17 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Ok but what about the Gators!?
Lots of dogs swim in that part of the lake... is it risk free maybe not, but it'd be on the news if an attack happened... I used to hike in Santa Cruz, Marin And around the Bay Area in general where there are mountain lion warning signs everywhere... nothing is risk free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando