Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 53,221 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to move to Orlando from Houston. A few questions for everyone.

1. Does Orlando have a big Indian community, contact/ links?
2. Which part of Orlando do most Indians stay?
3. I have been hearing a lot about crime in the city. Is it like any other large city in the US or elsewhere in the world OR is it high enough to not warrant a move to the town?
4. I will probably need to commute to downtown Orlando. What will be the best place (traffic wise and form a safety standpoint) to stay? Budget should not be an issue.

Look forward to your answers.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM

51 posts, read 245,897 times
1. Not sure how large the Indian population is compared to other cities in Florida, but I encounter more Indians in Orlando that I did where I grew up in the midwest, which was probably 95% white.
2. No idea.
3. Crime in metro Orlando is comparable to cities of its size.
4. Depending on traffic, downtown Orlando can be reached fairly quickly from any part of town... North, South, East, or West. You should look for an area that best suits you and your family. If budget is no issue and you need to be close to down town, you may want to look in Winter Park or similar.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 53,221 times
Thanks.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:43 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Indians are around, but I would not say a lot compared to some larger, tech heavy cities. There are some good Indian restaurants in town (Tabla is excellent), most of which are near the tourism corridor to the southwest of downtown. Perhaps many Indians live near those areas...not sure as I don't really hang out there much.

As for crime, it is not a big enough issue to not move here. Then again if you pick the wrong area of town to live it could be an issue. If budget is not an issue, I would highly suggest just living downtown in a condo or small house or condo in Thornton Park. This area is safe, clean, and I always see Asians and Indians strolling around Lake Eola.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
I'm sorry are we talking Indians from the subcontinent of India or Indians like Native Americans? The word does mean both so I'm not going to assume one or the other.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
There is a fairly decent population of Indians around. There is a large hindu temple in Casselbery, along with a gurudwara not too far from there.

Also, there are a ton of indian restaurants IMO, much more so than I've seen in other cities around FL.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,307 times
There's alot. I can't speak for all, but I know that alot of the Indians in Central FL are Indian but are infact from Guyana, Trinidad or Jamaica...I guess you'll just have to ask around...lol

Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoind View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to move to Orlando from Houston. A few questions for everyone.

1. Does Orlando have a big Indian community, contact/ links?
2. Which part of Orlando do most Indians stay?
3. I have been hearing a lot about crime in the city. Is it like any other large city in the US or elsewhere in the world OR is it high enough to not warrant a move to the town?
4. I will probably need to commute to downtown Orlando. What will be the best place (traffic wise and form a safety standpoint) to stay? Budget should not be an issue.

Look forward to your answers.

Thanks.

1)Indian from India? or Native American? I assume from India
2)I would say near the tourist corridor in my experience working down there, but maybe someone knows of an Indian community. Indians from India is what I'm speaking about here.
3)The crime is higher percentage wise than most U.S. cities. Ranked in the top cities for crime, but there are plenty of good areas too. I wouldn't worry about crime unless you are into drugs or if you are oblivious to your surroundings like leaving a car running to go into the gas station for a second.
4)I would stay in downtown if budget doesn't matter because the freeway system is not that good. I-4 the main freeway through the city only has 3 lanes at some points, and the rest of the main freeways are toll roads.

P.S. If choosing a community near downtown. Stay to the east of I-4. The west of I-4 is the ghetto.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
P.S. If choosing a community near downtown. Stay to the east of I-4. The west of I-4 is the ghetto.
unless you are talking about SW of downtown

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
unless you are talking about SW of downtown
It depends on how far south and how far west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando