Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM

493 posts, read 520,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychickens View Post
Thanks to everyone for commenting, your inputs are very interesting.

What would you say is the difference between Winter Park lakes vs Butler chain? Is the Butler chain bigger? Do they both allow motorized boats? Jet ski’s?

How easy or hard is it to move between the lakes in the Butler chain?

We are interested in both areas, it does seem the Butler chain/Windermere area is more affordable but what from a boating perspective would make you choose one over the other?
Butler is better for motor boating/jet skis than Winter Park(higher priced homes). Butler is bigger but the place that everyone goes to is Bird Island on the weekends. The lowest priced home that I've seen recently on that chain is $1.2M. Conway is the other chain for motor boating/jet skis (sandbar). The water is clear/cleaner on Conway and has a sandy bottom. Right now the least expensive lakefront homes on Conway are in the high 600's but they are renovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:14 AM

13 posts, read 20,497 times
So far Butler chain is winninng!

I like the idea of living next to area that has some activity in it. More questions:

Is this bird island party central nowadays? Which brings me to...
Are lakes like clubs? You know how they come in and out of style...so people may hang out more at one vs the other depending in the season/year? Are there any clubs, groups lake related?

Are people familiar with each other? Is there a consistent community or is it more of everyone on their own? Is it a close knit community? How easy or hard is it to meet other people/families at the lakes?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
So far Butler chain is winninng!

I like the idea of living next to area that has some activity in it. More questions:

Is this bird island party central nowadays? Which brings me to...
Are lakes like clubs? You know how they come in and out of style...so people may hang out more at one vs the other depending in the season/year? Are there any clubs, groups lake related?

Are people familiar with each other? Is there a consistent community or is it more of everyone on their own? Is it a close knit community? How easy or hard is it to meet other people/families at the lakes?
Clubs? Sort of. The same groups that hang out at Butler (Bird Island) have been there for years like "Grillin' & Chillin'." So you'll see a consistent group of the same people and another group that likes to experience different lakes and different crowds. It's very easy to meet people. Butler by far is the easiest lake to get your boat into, the county has a nice ramp at Keene's point. Bass fisherman get out there early and usually pull their boats out by noon, then the party crowd starts putting their boats in. There is limit parking space, I'm not sure if they still charge. Sometimes there is a person there to collect money and other times there isn't.

There is a party every weekend on Bird Island. However, there is a party side (on the left when facing) and an adult side (on the right when facing). I don't think Bird Island will go out of style unless the local residents prevent boats from tying up there. You aren't suppose to tie your boat to any part of the island or go on the island as it is a bird sanctuary.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Clubs? Sort of. The same groups that hang out at Butler (Bird Island) have been there for years like "Grillin' & Chillin'." So you'll see a consistent group of the same people and another group that likes to experience different lakes and different crowds. It's very easy to meet people. Butler by far is the easiest lake to get your boat into, the county has a nice ramp at Keene's point. Bass fisherman get out there early and usually pull their boats out by noon, then the party crowd starts putting their boats in. There is limit parking space, I'm not sure if they still charge. Sometimes there is a person there to collect money and other times there isn't.

There is a party every weekend on Bird Island. However, there is a party side (on the left when facing) and an adult side (on the right when facing). I don't think Bird Island will go out of style unless the local residents prevent boats from tying up there. You aren't suppose to tie your boat to any part of the island or go on the island as it is a bird sanctuary.
This is fascinating. Adult side? Like quiet? What is the age group of one side vs the other? Was is the age requirement for someone to drive a boat? 16? Do you need a license?

Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
This is fascinating. Adult side? Like quiet? What is the age group of one side vs the other? Was is the age requirement for someone to drive a boat? 16? Do you need a license?
The adult side isn’t that quiet, you are just going to get more music from the 70’s and 80’s. Average age late40’s/early 50’s. The party side will have current music, Average age late 20’s/ early 30’s

Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 PM

33 posts, read 35,062 times
This is an interesting post, moving to Central Fl in June and still trying to figure out where to buy. I like so many of the Lake homes and I see people paddle boarding on Instagram all the time and now seeing the lakes all have alligators how are these people paddleboarding? Is a water moccasin poisonous???

Old 03-28-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyncal View Post
This is an interesting post, moving to Central Fl in June and still trying to figure out where to buy. I like so many of the Lake homes and I see people paddle boarding on Instagram all the time and now seeing the lakes all have alligators how are these people paddleboarding? Is a water moccasin poisonous???
They don't all have alligators. Stick to lakes that are inhabited with people (homes surrounding them) and you'll be fine.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 AM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
They don't all have alligators. Stick to lakes that are inhabited with people (homes surrounding them) and you'll be fine.
It’s not so much that they “don’t have alligators.” It’s that they aren’t all heavy in concentration, and generally, if there is lots of noise and activity, they will avoid certain parts of said lake. Lake Killarney has gators in it, and it’s surrounded by homes and popular with SUP boarders.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 10,941 times
If you are going to go Paddle-boarding most of the lakes that were all mentioned on this thread are fine. Butler Chain of Lakes/Lake Isleworth, Winter Park Lakes, if you want to drive a little you can hit up DeLeon Springs. While alligators definitely pose a threat all over FLs lakes and springs, they are not going to ruin your boating fun. If a alligator is less than four feet in length they are not large enough to be dangerous unless you try to handle them or feed them. Will you see a snake or water moccasin, possibly. It's FL and you are around the water, we have critters everywhere.

Anytime you are in or near water there is the possibility of alligators near fresh or brackish water. Do not swim outside of posted swimming areas or in waters that might be inhabited by large alligators. Do not swim or paddle in grassy, marshy areas. That is where female gators prefer to build nests and lay eggs.

Alligators are most active between dusk and dawn and mating season. Mating season for gators is courtship typically in April, followed by mating in May and June. Avoid swimming at night.

We've been in FL since 2004, we've seen several snakes in our pool, around and in the house. None of them dangerous and yes we have a cage around our pool. I have a pond in the back of my house and occasionally we have gators but I see them all over town in small and large bodies of water. Don't bother them and they won't bother you.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 PM

May I ask What part of Orlando/Florida are in? Just saw on the news a few days ago someone had an alligator fall in their pool. They also had a fenced pool. I’m still excited about coming down and being near water though. I’m not so much looking to get inside the water as I like the idea of having the view as a relaxing background element. It still doesn’t mean I will ignore what goes on. Hence all the critter questions.

Does having the pool “elevated” help? I see some properties where the pool is almost on an elevated terrace or concrete platform while the rest of the backyard slopes down into the water. Would that help to keep the animals at a distance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando