Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:50 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I see them I'd say about 50% of the time I hit the water in my area, but I live in a much more "untouched" place than I imagine you do. I also see gators on my evening jogs by the lake, whereas some of my friends who live closer to you have yet to see any gator outside of Gatorland. So yeah, you're right, it's all dependent on which lake/stream and the areas surrounding it.
Yep, exactly. I like to go on the boardwalk hike to Apopka Lake where most times I will see gators and other creatures. I'd never want to step foot in that water or even kayak. However, I have no problem paddle boarding in Lake Killarney. I'd even jump in my lake if someone gave me $1 without even thinking about it (well if I was planning to swim anyways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 20,497 times
What about the noise? Any of them “noisy”?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 PM

17,211 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychickens View Post
Define noise. If by wildlife, yes. There are these EXTREMELY loud bugs that love to scream in unison at dusk. Then, of course, owls, frogs, and other random grunts. As far as human noise, not really. I think the loudest I have seen is Lake Harris in Tavares and that’s because they hold boat races and seaplane shows on the regular.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Not noisy from me, many lakes don't allow motorized boats, others are too small to make it worth buying a motorized boat. I do hear night crickets, but only if I'm by the shoreline.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:26 PM

493 posts, read 520,179 times
Are you swimming or boating on these lakes? As a boater here is my list.

1.) Winter Park (if you can afford it)
2.) Butler chain
3.) Conway chain
4.) John’s chain
5.) Lake Monroe/Jesup

Honorable mention: Lake Toho.

All of them have adult Gators except Butler and Conway because there are homeowners completely around the lake, they’ve been clear for a while. Occasionally a small gator may get in but homeowners call Orange County immediately to have it removed.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 PM

493 posts, read 520,179 times
Quote:
FYI the snakes part for some reason is my least favorite. Does having an enclosed pool help significantly with the snake part or it doesn’t matter cause they sneak in thru anything?
Naw. Not really. I live 200 yards from party central on a major lake and you only hear it if it is quiet in your house.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 AM

73 posts, read 65,084 times
The proposition that venomous snakes are "rare" in Florida is false.
In central Florida, beware, especially of moccasins and pygmy rattlers.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynex View Post
The proposition that venomous snakes are "rare" in Florida is false.
In central Florida, beware, especially of moccasins and pygmy rattlers.
It depends where... I have yet to see a single venomous snake, it's been over 2 years, I also never saw a poisonous snake when I lived here during high school. To me... that would qualify as rare, definitely not common. However, as mentioned already, I'm sure certain parts of Central Florida it isn't a rare event.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 20,497 times
Thanks to everyone for commenting, your inputs are very interesting.

What would you say is the difference between Winter Park lakes vs Butler chain? Is the Butler chain bigger? Do they both allow motorized boats? Jet ski’s?

How easy or hard is it to move between the lakes in the Butler chain?

We are interested in both areas, it does seem the Butler chain/Windermere area is more affordable but what from a boating perspective would make you choose one over the other?

Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for commenting, your inputs are very interesting.

What would you say is the difference between Winter Park lakes vs Butler chain? Is the Butler chain bigger? Do they both allow motorized boats? Jet ski’s?

How easy or hard is it to move between the lakes in the Butler chain?

We are interested in both areas, it does seem the Butler chain/Windermere area is more affordable but what from a boating perspective would make you choose one over the other?
Butler is better for motorized boats imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando