Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:52 PM

167 posts, read 190,631 times

Advertisements

Recently went there for the first time. I won’t be going back. Unless i am gifted the admission or the price is drastically reduced.

Let me start with the good:
Fireworks and parade were excellent, which is saying something because I always skip fireworks and parades when at parks.
The candy given out was nice.

The bad:
For a Disney operation I expected a LOT more thought and effort. Disney is usually careful about every detail. The whole thing was terrible lacking. The park entrance and Main Street area had a few orange ribbons and banners, a couple pumpkin motifs on lamp posts. Once past that, other than A few randomly placed orange lights and most of the rides not operating it was business as usual. There were no more decorations. They didn’t play any halloweeny music. They only played the beginning of “tocatta and fugue “on loop in liberty square and they might have played the haunted mansion theme in fantasyland. Some of the rides received a makeover however what that consisted of was the haunted mansion attendants wearing face paint, a cast member imprisoned in pirates of the Caribbean and another cast member taunting riders on pirates. Supposedly space mountain had another soundtrack playing, big deal. I would have expected pumpkins scattered throughout the rides, some of the characters on the rides with pumpkin heads or draped in sheets.

I didn’t like the way the “trick or treating” was set up either. Guests in winding lines waiting on cast members dispensing candy from big 75 gallon bins. Cast members weren’t spooky or halloweeny. It would’ve been nice to get candy from jafars minions, the cards soldiers from Alice, or any other good or evil Disney character.

I saw all these people passing by with their t shirts and other memento of all the times they’ve been and I sincerely don’t understand how given the current admission price (plus parking and dinner) you would even want to go back a second time. Like I said coming from Disney I expected MUCH more. As it stands, admission should be no more than $40.

Anyone have similar or different experiences? Is there something I missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
I never really understood the appeal to those sorts of things. I went to the one at Universal a few years ago and was very underwhelmed.

For one, it was ridiculously overcrowded. Much more so than on a normal day/evening.

Second, nothing really seemed "special" either. There were a few decorations here and there, but for the most part, it was just a bunch of smoke/vapor dispensers to reduce visibility, and staff members dressed up jumping out of bushes and making noises. It severely lacked creativity.

The highlight of the night was The Mummy Returns ride... Which isn't even a Halloween event, but blends in with the theme very well.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I love HHN at Universal but I’ve never gone to Disney because they dont do haunted houses.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I've been to Disney World around a dozen times when my kids were of the age to enjoy it, and my favorite memory was the year we were able to take them to the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Short lines at the rides, the parade, decorations, fireworks, and of course the candy and fun cast members. I wish I could have taken them other years, but it was difficult with school.

Maybe it just wasn't for you OP?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I love HHN at Universal but I’ve never gone to Disney because they dont do haunted houses.
Yeah Disney doesn't seem like a good Halloween place. Better for Christmas imo

Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Agreed

Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 PM

283 posts, read 289,975 times
The Christmas one was much better. Little to no wait in the lines for the rides. Just walk in and speed walk through the barricades and hop-on. The fireworks was awesome, felt like it lasted for 30 minutes and I thought it would never end. Unfortunately my kid was asleep by the time the parade happened. Worth it imo

Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
The Christmas one was much better. Little to no wait in the lines for the rides. Just walk in and speed walk through the barricades and hop-on. The fireworks was awesome, felt like it lasted for 30 minutes and I thought it would never end. Unfortunately my kid was asleep by the time the parade happened. Worth it imo
The fireworks shows are always amazing. Coupled with the music and the lights, I am blown away (no pun intended) each time.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
I do Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and Howl o Scream at Busch Gardens,I love these events,everything about them,the Universal one has been getting just way too crowded in the last couple of years,I'm hearing this year has been awful as far as crowds.I did Howl o Scream on opening night and it was great,great houses with reasonable crowds and wait times,much cheaper too,highly suggest Busch Gardens for those thinking Horror nights.The Magic Kingdom event is nice but overpriced in my opinion,its a parade,a special fireworks show and trick or treating,if you're here for Disney and you have younger kids its a good option.Sea World has a similar event with trick or treating,characters and its included in regular park admission,not an upcharge special event,I went this year and it didnt seem as good as last year,they didnt have a map of all the candy stations and they were spread out throughout the park,last year it was concentrated in the area between the Bayside pathway and the old kids area,it seemed more festive last year.The kids area is being changed to Sesame street so its in construction which is the reason for the change.Also to note the candy bags are not free this year,last year they were free but a cheaper paper bag,this year they're .99 cents and are reusable with unique halloween designs.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah I don’t think Disney’s mission is to scare the crap out of little kids.... just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando