Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:39 AM

57 posts, read 45,657 times

Advertisements

I’ve been job searching for over 10 years and have yet to land a job or interview. I have my bachelors in accounting but that doesn’t help much. There has to be a way!

I had one job offer but it pays only $12 an hour!

I’m a single mom so that won’t help.

I’d like to add I live out if state but use my parents home as my addresss and for all I rents and purposes, I reside in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
That doesn't make sense. Do you get interviews? You may want to focus on resume building and interview skills. My GF fresh out of college was getting interviews in various finance and accounting positions within a couple months. The good ones here require 2-3 years of experience though. Check on job websites, contact some local recruiters as well. However, if you've been searching for 10 years, I think it has more to do with your resume and interview skills.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That doesn't make sense. Do you get interviews? You may want to focus on resume building and interview skills. My GF fresh out of college was getting interviews in various finance and accounting positions within a couple months. The good ones here require 2-3 years of experience though. Check on job websites, contact some local recruiters as well. However, if you've been searching for 10 years, I think it has more to do with your resume and interview skills.
It may be my resume, but I had it done by a professional.

All in all, I’ve had 4 interviews. Besides the $12 offer, another one looked promising but then the hiring manager rescinded and said they prefer someone bilingual in Spanish.

Any recommendations to recruiters?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:59 PM

17,136 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree. I find this strange.
My sister had several job interviews before she even completed her degree in finance.

If you're going to go the "recruiting" route, get a premium LinkedIn account and make your profile look attractive, yet simple enough.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:29 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
What work do you do now or do you not work? Employers don't like to see gaps in a resume and while it's noble to take care of your kids employers don't care. They are hiring for skills and experience.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
What work do you do now or do you not work? Employers don't like to see gaps in a resume and while it's noble to take care of your kids employers don't care. They are hiring for skills and experience.
I’m currently working in the healthcare field. I handle insurance authorizations among other administrative duties.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Do you want to be an accountant? Do you have the hours to sit for the CPA exam? There seems to be a disconnect between your degree and work experience. You probably don't have the work experience typical of someone with an accounting degree.

Your job sounds like something where a degree isn't necessary.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Do you want to be an accountant? Do you have the hours to sit for the CPA exam? There seems to be a disconnect between your degree and work experience. You probably don't have the work experience typical of someone with an accounting degree.

Your job sounds like something where a degree isn't necessary.

That is correct.

I’ve yet to find a job related to my degree. I’ve been told for years that I need more experience and it’s now been about 10 years. My job in theory does not require a degree but my company requires one. I feel stuck and don’t know what to do.

I had a great interview for a staff accountant interview but was then told I should stick to roles similar to what I’m doing since I have that experience, which sucks.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM

17,136 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflycricket View Post
That is correct.

I’ve yet to find a job related to my degree. I’ve been told for years that I need more experience and it’s now been about 10 years. My job in theory does not require a degree but my company requires one. I feel stuck and don’t know what to do.

I had a great interview for a staff accountant interview but was then told I should stick to roles similar to what I’m doing since I have that experience, which sucks.
This doesn't make any sense. You went to interview for a higher-skilled job, and they told you to stay at the bottom?

That's like someone completing their engineering degree while working at McDonald's, going for an interview to be a CAD tech straight out of college, and being told to stick to McDonald's.

What you need to do is to get an entry level job in the field you want to work in. I'd assume some sort of data entry involving a company's finances. While you do that, familiarize yourself with the accounting profession, and if possible, study for your CPA exam. Not that you ABSOLUTELY NEED that, but at this point, it can't do anything but help.

By the way, a data entry job is normally going to pay more than $12/hr. $12/hr is a telemarketing/call center salary.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM

If you don't have your hours for the CPA, many states like Florida require 150 and a master's, you could consider getting a master's in accounting and finding a school that is proactive with internships to get you hooked up with an entry level job in accounting while you qualify for the CPA.

It may be your only way out of these dead end jobs, just carefully consider debt. It would be best to find a public state school where tuition is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: