Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,746 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I have decided to relocate to florida preferably in the Orlando area. We will be buying a house when we move there, so we want to make sure that it’s a nice and safe area to live in. We visit the Kissimmee area almost every year. Although we like it there, it is just too crowded, but homes seem to be more affordable there. Any suggestions on where we should start our search? Can someone tell us about these areas the good and the bad: Poinciana, St. Cloud, Lakeland, winter haven, Davenport, Orlando, deltona. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I would recommend checking out Winter Garden, especially the area around downtown / Plant Street Market. It's a quaint charmign small town or suburb, yet you are still close to everything.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olopez037 View Post
Hi, my husband and I have decided to relocate to florida preferably in the Orlando area. We will be buying a house when we move there, so we want to make sure that it’s a nice and safe area to live in. We visit the Kissimmee area almost every year. Although we like it there, it is just too crowded, but homes seem to be more affordable there. Any suggestions on where we should start our search? Can someone tell us about these areas the good and the bad: Poinciana, St. Cloud, Lakeland, winter haven, Davenport, Orlando, deltona. Thank you so much!
If you find Kissimmee crowded I would avoid anything within the immediate Orlando area. Deltona and Poinciana besides being more remote/lacking in services aren't the best in terms of crime and are also not known for providing a good return on investment when buying a home. Davenport is a little less crowded but still not advisable as much of the city consists of vacation rental housing so it has a touristy feel that probably won't feel like "home". St Cloud is less crowded and has some nice areas including the planned community of Harmony. Winter Haven is a bit of a gem in my opinion with a quaint downtown area and beautiful older neighborhoods wedged between several lakes, as well as new construction too. Home prices are probably the best in terms of dollars per square feet/quality of home with nicer new construction homes as low as 200K. Neighboring Lake Wales is a nice area to check out too. Lakeland is the most distant of the group and is about halfway to Tampa. It's a growing city with plenty to do including an active downtown area and much less touristy than most of your other options. It's actually a little closer to Tampa than Orlando so it has the advantages that both cities present in close proximity. The south side around Lakeside Village/Lakeland Highlands area is the most desirable area.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:46 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you find Kissimmee crowded I would avoid anything within the immediate Orlando area.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Fascinating argument, care to make it literate or are emojis all you have?

Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 8,746 times
Thank you so much for all the info. This will definitely help us on our search for our home.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Just remember what you see on vacations is usually just the main thoroughfares for tourists to get to
Disney or the beach etc. Even in the busy tourist cities the residential areas are way different. You only have to contend with the traffic when in those areas. You can find quiet neighborhoods away from the tourists.

Look to the neighborhoods in the western part of Kissimmee. Check out Clermont area etc. My son is moving to a new gated community with an elementary school just up the street just West of Kissimmee. He lived in Davenport for the last 5 years and the drive on I-4 to Disney has gone from being a 15 minute drive to sometimes taking an hour to get home in the middle of the afternoon or early evening. The Davenport house was 5 bed 3 bath so a beautiful house but the neighborhood built in the old Boardwalk and Baseball theme park off 27 area just seemed crowded. Houses were close to street so driveways were short and almost all families have more than 1 or 2 cars so lots of street parking taking up the streets. Almost all the houses on his street that were short term rentals were sold to families at way reduced prices so not the most stellar people living on his block now. They got a good price for the house and didn't lose any money. We are so glad they are moving back to Kissimmee.

Probably best to figure out where you will be working and how long a commute you are willing to drive each day. Also if you have kids look for areas where schools are better.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:21 AM
aax

710 posts, read 498,549 times
Check out Four Corners and Poinciana. They are less crowded than Kissimmee and more country, but still part of the metroplex.

Deltona is a huge "no".

Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
What is your housing budget? That could dictate where you'd be able to afford a family home.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Check out Four Corners and Poinciana. They are less crowded than Kissimmee and more country, but still part of the metroplex.

Deltona is a huge "no".
Apparently you have zero familiarity with Deltona or Poinciana given the amount of similarities they share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando