Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 AM

276 posts, read 283,269 times

Advertisements

"Semi Retiring" to Orlando from the Northeast, will be renting in either Windermere or Winter Garden for at least a year or two to determine if we like the community.
Flat Free Brokers, have become more popular here, which I believe will help my FSBO listing by having the listing on MLS, Realtor.Com, Zillow, Trulia, and other partner sites. We decided to use the flat fee broker and are offering 2.5% broker cooperation for a buyers agent. This will be our 5th home that we have bought and sold in almost 36 years of marriage. I had a real estate license for a short period of time, sold 1 home, but am an inactive license. We feel confident that we can represent ourselves well as the selling agent; we also have employed the services of an attorney that we previously used in two of our transactions. We believe that we have a very "sellable" home, impeccably maintained, very desirable family oriented neighborhood 14 year young home and our lucky enough at this moment to have no other homes in the development on the market, two are under contract using a full service broker. We recently went "live" on MLS, only 5 days now on market, have had one showing, one very detailed inquiry from another agent on MLS, but expected to have more interest so far.
We are able to substantiate our selling price by using the purchase price from 9 years ago, plus ugrades such as 2 year old New Central Air, New Insulated Pella Garage Doors, 5 year old Carpet Upstairs, etc, 1 year old 75 gal HW heater, etc. We feel that local agents "may" be boycotting home, waiting for us to give them a full service listing. We have only gone "live" on May 1st, but thinking of increasing the broker cooperation fee to 3% to generate more interest. Is it too soon to increase the broker cooperation fee?
Can sellers who have successfully used a flat fee listing with broker cooperation or any brokers/agents weigh in here? Real Estate Law prohibits outright boycotting technically, but where is the burden of proof.
I truly feel that the local agents are saying, lets hang back and they will list full service and then we will go after it.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotravel15 View Post
We are able to substantiate our selling price by using the purchase price from 9 years ago, plus ugrades such as 2 year old New Central Air, New Insulated Pella Garage Doors, 5 year old Carpet Upstairs, etc, 1 year old 75 gal HW heater, etc. We feel that local agents "may" be boycotting home, waiting for us to give them a full service listing. We have only gone "live" on May 1st, but thinking of increasing the broker cooperation fee to 3% to generate more interest. Is it too soon to increase the broker cooperation fee?
Can sellers who have successfully used a flat fee listing with broker cooperation or any brokers/agents weigh in here? Real Estate Law prohibits outright boycotting technically, but where is the burden of proof.
I truly feel that the local agents are saying, lets hang back and they will list full service and then we will go after it.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
You're offering 2.5% now. Why would any agent boycott your listing? They're getting paid the same as if you listed full-service and offered out 2.5%. I think it's extremely doubtful that an agent with a buyer ready to buy a house like yours would not show it and collect the 2.5%.

How sure are you of your asking price? You went into a lot of detail to justify it which makes me think it might be optimistic. That's the number one reason properties get few or no showings.

On another note: do you know what happens in the event of an escrow dispute if you decide to hold the escrow at your attorney's office?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 19,773 times
whats the $ value of the 2.5%? Id go 2% personally if its 500k+. and at some point id go flat fee. most buyers look for themselves online now and if you get professional photos and stage your property well it will sell itself.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM

210 posts, read 271,726 times
My parents have used flat fee successfully twice. I advised my dad to start at 3% and if it came down to it he could negotiate to 2.5%. While no agent should be skipping your listing based on .5%, the greedy ones may. How are your pictures? The other bit of advice I gave my parents was to hire a professional photographer. It only cost them $150 and the images were stunning. And are you really certain you are priced well?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM

605 posts, read 712,806 times
Get an appraisal. You're most likely overpriced. A few hundred dollars on an appraisal will tell you a LOT. Totally worth it.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
I don't buy homes from FSBO.

Best advice doing it yourself...

Stage the house properly then hire a real estate photographer... get an appraisal and use that to come up with a list price (if you don't know how to do a CMA). However, I just like dealing with professionals, so I don't even consider FSBO properties. I'm sure there are many who don't care though.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM

605 posts, read 712,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't buy homes from FSBO.

Best advice doing it yourself...

Stage the house properly then hire a real estate photographer... get an appraisal and use that to come up with a list price (if you don't know how to do a CMA). However, I just like dealing with professionals, so I don't even consider FSBO properties. I'm sure there are many who don't care though.
I wouldn't buy a FSBO either. I don't want to deal with an emotional seller directly. Too unpredictable and too much emotion involved.

I'm sure he knows how to do a CMA, but probably has no access to the MLS so he can't get good data. And there's so much nuance to it, that he's probably not proficient having sold one house in his whole career.

Many people think that an agent is unnecessary, but I disagree. I think a GOOD agent is worth every penny. Not every agent is a good agent, however. Maybe 10-20% of them are. So that's where the problem is.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,433,307 times
I'd pass on FSBO.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I'd pass on FSBO.
Seems silly imo... Honestly realtors seem like the next tech disruption. We went to the listing agent directly and bought a place well below the comps in the neighborhood and the selling agent of course got both commissions so they were incentivized to deal directly with us

Old 05-06-2019, 08:12 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Seems silly imo... Honestly realtors seem like the next tech disruption. We went to the listing agent directly and bought a place well below the comps in the neighborhood and the selling agent of course got both commissions so they were incentivized to deal directly with us
A realtor is more important on the listing side vs buying side like in the OP’s situation. However, a good realtor is still nice to have on the buying side for help with various things like renovation estimates, connections with contractors, general advice, etc. A novice buyer can be taken advantage going directly to the listing agent as well. In California, you have to sign a disclosure that says I know the listing agent is working in the best interest of the seller and not mine. An experienced buyer it doesn’t matter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando