Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:47 PM

81 posts, read 55,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
We’re planning to relocate down to Orlando area..we’ve been wanting to move to Florida for over 10 years now..my husband is a commercial flooring contractor, and would want to get into the hotels etc as far as what he’d like to do for work down there. Problem is we don’t know how to go about getting him into something and if we should start before we move or after? Does anyone have any tips or advice..or possibly any connections? TIA
If you haven’t done so I would strongly recommend visiting for two weeks if you can to get the pseudo permanent living feel rather than vacation. That means research where you want to live and then research based on that zip code everything that is important to you to include work travel. If you’re planning to start a business look into all of the intricacies surrounding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Your going to want to live near the parks. Poinciana, Kissimmee, Four Corners.
Lol... Three areas that are very questionable and Poinciana is in the noon docks. It takes roughly 30 minutes along jut to get to I-4 and that’s with the new extension out which is toll based and expensive. You’ll spend $5 a day generally just to get halfway towards civilization unless you want to drive up the traffic heavy Plesant Hill Rd and John Young just to get to Kissimmee. Plus the crime.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They are always hiring and it makes for great PR, but the reality is they don't offer enough hours at that rate to live on (20-25 hours per week). Since Amazon's acquisition WF no longer offers health insurance benefits for part-timers either. Target is paying $13 an hour now which seems great but they too don't offer full-time hours at that rate, and also do not offer healthcare to part-timers.
That is why I don’t know how people make it here unless they have at least 2 part time jobs but still no healthcare or benefits. It’s not uncommon people here have to room with other folk be it couples or singles just to make ends meet.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 PM

Here’s what no one talks about with financials long term. If you are working $10-15/ hr because the vast majority of jobs here are hourly not salary, it is practically impossible to save for retirement and at that rate you Social Security will be minimum. Everyone talks about that huge house and living only for today’s dreams, but what the future. Heck, if you’re working part time jobs and still not get healthcare benefits through the employer and you end up in emergency like my relative did now they have a $7,000 bill. Things to consider.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
Not a great idea. Try and find employment or other income BEFORE you move here. The roach motels off of 192 are filled with people who decided to move here without a source of income "because they loved the parks"
LOL... Yup very true.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Yes. We wouldn’t go down there without a nice chunk of change as a security blanket..and like I said were going to make a nice amount off the sale of our home..we don’t have much debt, maybe 30k..so we’d pay that off and still have a minimum of 70k to go down there with..we’re not trying to live lavishly, more just want a nicer/newer home, that has a good neighborhood for my kids (there are literally NO kids I’m my neighborhood now).
I’m sick of seeing my kids inside all day long due to weather, and nothing to do. We visit Florida often and I know there’s a VAST difference in vacationing in Florida and living there..but the one thing Florida does have is sun! And lots of it! I get really bad seasonal depression and each year it seems to get worse..this affects me as a mother and wife..each spring it’s like my mood flip flops..

I just want to be happy, so my family can be happy. I just want my kids to be able to ride their bikes without 30,000 pot holes along the way, and I want my kids to go outside to make friends, have stuff to do year round not just 3 months out of the year..so Florida it is. I wonder about the jobs more for buying a house purposes than actual income amounts..right now our mortgage is $1300 a month and my house is very old, small, and offers nothing as far as areas for my kids to hang out, make friends. Our electric bill is around $400 a month, and we stream tv so that’s $140(including the internet)..we are doing very well here financially so paying this much here is very easy, plus I’m not working (due to kids) and my hubby pays for everything...but down there I WOULD be working, so even if for $250 a week that’s $2k more than I’m bringing in a month here..so I figure as long as I can cover the mortgage, he will only be responsible for bills..so I don’t think we will struggle too badly, plus we’re go getters, far from lazy (I’m going crazy cooped up at home, I can only clean so much!) so between both of us being hard workers, and the fact that we will have a decent sum of money to ‘sit on’ just in case of anything we will be okay. I mean some people clearly doing ok down there, so there’s no reason why we wouldn’t imo.

But like I said, it’s more on how to secure a mortgage without having employment in the state we’re trying to move to.
Here you will have the same issue with being in the house because of the heat. Most people are couped up in the homes 8-9 months with their AC cranked which btw $300/ month depending on age and size of the home is not uncommon. Heck even $400 is not out of the question. Plus water can generally be about $100 +/- a month. Car insurance is quite costly as well depending on area of Orlando. As far as schools research the county and school system. In general they are not as great as up north but Seminole county is better generally speaking. Making $250/wk would be $1k a month not $2k. Perhaps that was just a typo. Home rentals here in a decent area with good schools for a 3bd / 2bath is upwards of $1,700 and I think those are low numbers. That same configuration for apartments in good locales is above $1,800 closer to $2k or more. Personally I would recommend renting for 6-12 months before deciding on where to buy your home.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 11,913 times

A bit dated, but still holds value. The amount of money you make from the sale of your home, and the savings you have, are the big questions.

Car Insurance, Home Owners Insurance, and Registration are all very expensive here. Schools are proportional to the median home value...The extra 1.00% sales tax Seminole County has makes all the difference. It's an echo chamber who's roots are in that 1.00%. People move, build, buy, and renovate where schools are best.

I don't ever want to dissuade anyone from a better situation, but know this area has it's pitfalls like any other. Central Florida is Socially Liberal, but Fiscally Conservative.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,819,057 times
Depends on how much you have saved up. If you have enough saved up for at least 3-4 months of living expenses then I would say go for it. However, if the move would put you in immediate financial hardship then I would postpone the move until you either have enough saved up or you both (or at least one of you) have a viable employment opportunity lined up. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:29 PM
aax

710 posts, read 498,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetraveler View Post
Lol... Three areas that are very questionable
Why do you say that?

Old 02-09-2020, 11:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Yes, unless you are a millionaire, don't move without a job lined up. There are bills to be paid and you don't know how long you could be unemployed for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando