Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:57 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,141,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I think online school has been tough for everyone.

I don't get the sense that WP High is a great school. Just a decent school. The best high school is Orlando Science - it's a charter with about 800 students. Other good high schools are Lake Nona, Timber Creek, and Hagerty. Just below that are Windermere, Boone, and Winter Park. Hagerty is out near UCF but it's actually in Seminole County (in Oviedo) so it won't show up on the OCPS website.

I know next to nothing about 504 plans - I'd poke around on the school district website and maybe just call them. High schools here are big. Generally 2,000 to 3,500 kids. WP High is about 3,500. The 9th graders are on a separate campus at the old WP high while the 10-12th graders are at the "new" high school built in the late 60s.

They're smaller but be careful with the charters. There seems to be two camps - good and really bad - with nothing in the middle.
Thanks! Yeah, schools here are huge too. Her current public school has 2800 kids, the private school she was before that had 800. The tiny middle school she came from had 25!!

Honestly academia is not her strong suit. I’m looking to just get her through the next 4 years so we can figure out how she can utilize her artistic talent into a career. High schools rarely have the drawing and art classes she would need to bump her up in that regard.

BUT, I’m also looking ahead for my soon to be middle schooler. She completely opposite and lives school, makes a straight As and is 1-2 grade levels above in math. So I am also looking at schools that can accommodate her academic abilities with harder courses. It would be amazing if she could get some scholarships since my oldest has had to have private school and eaten up a lot of our funds for college.

I don’t rely on ratings from websites - greater schools, schooldigger, etc. but I do like hearing from personal experiences and do plan on talking to various schools in the area. I am flying into town in a couple of weeks to check out neighborhoods and mainly drive around, and plan on visiting with some schools then (Covid dependent of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 11:21 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I don’t rely on ratings from websites - greater schools, schooldigger, etc. but I do like hearing from personal experiences and do plan on talking to various schools in the area. I am flying into town in a couple of weeks to check out neighborhoods and mainly drive around, and plan on visiting with some schools then (Covid dependent of course).
Yes, high school is more than just academic performance. Definitely a lot to consider.

On the plus side, I think it's Junior year that Florida high school kids can dual enroll at their local community college (for free) but you have to test into it and have the requisite GPA. You can graduate high school and finish your first two years of college at the same time.

http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse....ollmentFAQ.pdf

Old 01-30-2021, 08:13 AM

54 posts, read 55,576 times
[quote=lhafer;60259439]Thanks! Yeah, schools here are huge too. Her current public school has 2800 kids, the private school she was before that had 800. The tiny middle school she came from had 25!!

Honestly academia is not her strong suit. I’m looking to just get her through the next 4 years so we can figure out how she can utilize her artistic talent into a career. High schools rarely have the drawing and art classes she would need to bump her up in that regard.

BUT, I’m also looking ahead for my soon to be middle schooler. She completely opposite and lives school, makes a straight As and is 1-2 grade levels above in math. So I am also looking at schools that can accommodate her academic abilities with harder courses. It would be amazing if she could get some scholarships since my oldest has had to have private school and eaten up a lot of our funds for college.

Last edited by MortgageInFlorida; 01-30-2021 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Post did not display right

Old 02-05-2021, 11:14 AM

141 posts, read 115,625 times
Is jet noise something that bothers you? If so keep it in mind when thinking about Lake Nona and especially Laureate Park. During your visit make sure you check out your prospective area while planes are taking off to the south. Take your time really evaluate it because it will be a fact of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando