Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:19 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Dig the outside of the basement and put insulation layer. That prevents every mold problem.
Have you actually ever lived in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 01:09 PM

297 posts, read 196,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It appears you have a severe lack of knowledge on how homes are built, if you think all homes without a basement are mobile homes.
They are. Your home is either in the earth or on top of the soil. One moves, the other doesnt (by laws of physics).

Old 01-26-2021, 03:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,096 times
OK, that answers my question. He definitely hasn't lived in Florida.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:24 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Please stay in New York and keep your attitude up there with you.

We don't want you.

Sincerely,

All Floridians That Have To Deal With New Yorkers Like You.
This, this and THIS! ^^^^ Please stay up north. Florida is NOT a "basement" type of place!!!!

Old 01-26-2021, 05:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,034 times
Quote:
They are. Your home is either in the earth or on top of the soil. One moves, the other doesnt (by laws of physics).
I’m sure you’re well aware that there are hundreds of thousands of houses in FL that don’t have basements but aren’t mobile homes. Are you just trolling?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:25 PM

297 posts, read 196,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I’m sure you’re well aware that there are hundreds of thousands of houses in FL that don’t have basements but aren’t mobile homes. Are you just trolling?
I am referring to the house in relationship to the earth soil, not the legal terms of what a home is.

When I say mobile, I mean that it moves, slides, etc. A house without a foundation is similar to a legal mobile home - it's not affixed to the portion of earth designated to the home.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM

786 posts, read 626,208 times
Quote:
I am referring to the house in relationship to the earth soil, not the legal terms of what a home is.

When I say mobile, I mean that it moves, slides, etc. A house without a foundation is similar to a legal mobile home - it's not affixed to the portion of earth designated to the home.

A lot if homes especially the older ones are built with posts fixed Into the ground. There really isnt a foundation to speak of just a few blocks to down there to support the flooring. There are no basements in homes like these, just a small crawlspace which in a lot of cases it's not even possible to crawl under there. If you were to move or slide these homes they would collapse instantly. They are not mobile at all.

You'll find that newer homes in Florida are block and fairly bland. The older homes that have a lot of character are built this way but still no basement. The environment just doesnt make it easy or even worth it in a construction.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:

Not even close, you demonstrate even more your severe lack of knowledge regarding homes. I have never actually encountered anyone that knew so little about homes. It is almost like you are trolling at this point.

Do you know what a foundation even is? Here are the three types:

https://www.reinbrechthomes.com/blog...the-pros-cons/

A basement is a type of foundation, but even that, it has the same slab floor, as the article above states, the benefit is it extends the foundation below the freezing line. Florida has no such freeze issues, thus the lack of basements.

Your basement you are so fond of is merely a slab built into the ground, with concrete walls extended above to the surface for the home to fasten to, that is it.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:11 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not even close, you demonstrate even more your severe lack of knowledge regarding homes. I have never actually encountered anyone that knew so little about homes. It is almost like you are trolling at this point.
Yeah, a house with a basement is built in the exact same way as a house with a crawl space. A full basement is just a deeper hole in the ground.

Also - what is this dude talking about? Besides a home with actual wheels on it, a house built over a basement is the easiest kind of house to move.
https://www.wolfehousebuildingmovers...move-building/

Old 01-27-2021, 08:27 PM

786 posts, read 626,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Yeah, a house with a basement is built in the exact same way as a house with a crawl space. A full basement is just a deeper hole in the ground.

Also - what is this dude talking about? Besides a home with actual wheels on it, a house built over a basement is the easiest kind of house to move.
https://www.wolfehousebuildingmovers...move-building/

I've seen a few documentaries on moving houses.its a very interesting process. The results are often mixed. As many would assume the older the home the more issues can arise later in. Most of them happen a year or two after the home is set back down or when there is a freeze thaw cycle. Not immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando