Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 11:00 PM

10 posts, read 9,925 times

Advertisements

I am buying a house which has 7K sqft of back yard space, and I am considering building a small detached house in this lot for relatives or renters to live.

I'd like to get a rough idea of:

1. Whether the city would allow such a thing
2. What would be a very rough breakdown of the costs, including any permits,
3. How long this would take

I have no experience with this and have no idea where to start.

I found the following website:
https://www.orlando.gov/Building-Dev...-Dwelling-Unit

While trying to determine the zoning district, I find that there seems to be no zoning information. Is this because the lot sits on unincorporated land? What rules apply in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 06:03 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
If your lot is in unincorporated Orange County (as opposed to within city limits of Orlando, Winter Park, etc.), you need to check the county's website rather than the city's.

Here's a link to the Orange County zoning division: https://www.orangecountyfl.net/Permi...x#.YBlNTGhAq5c

Old 02-02-2021, 03:29 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
If you type Orlando, FL into Google maps it will show you the municipal boundaries. There are other cities in the county but a majority of people in OC live in unincorporated county areas. If you post the name of the neighborhood I can help you find the zoning regs.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjoalgo View Post
I am buying a house which has 7K sqft of back yard space, and I am considering building a small detached house in this lot for relatives or renters to live.

I'd like to get a rough idea of:

1. Whether the city would allow such a thing
2. What would be a very rough breakdown of the costs, including any permits,
3. How long this would take

I have no experience with this and have no idea where to start.

I found the following website:
https://www.orlando.gov/Building-Dev...-Dwelling-Unit

While trying to determine the zoning district, I find that there seems to be no zoning information. Is this because the lot sits on unincorporated land? What rules apply in this case?
If you are in unincorporated Orlando, the county will have jurisdiction over it. Having built homes in Orlando and having spoken with various inspectors, I think your best bet is to hire a general contractor (GC) and have him take care of everything including permitting. You will pay extra for him to pull permits but he also assumes liability.

You are looking at quite a bit of work from utility set up to the actual building of the structure itself. This is not a project that will take a few weeks. This will take months.

Orange County inspectors, in my experience, are quite strict. Especially after the accident in 2019 where there was a huge investigation. Also, expect to report the rental income to the IRS.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
If you type Orlando, FL into Google maps it will show you the municipal boundaries. There are other cities in the county but a majority of people in OC live in unincorporated county areas. If you post the name of the neighborhood I can help you find the zoning regs.

From the county appraiser website the neighborhood seems to be COLLEGE HEIGHTS, it is near UCF.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
If you are in unincorporated Orlando, the county will have jurisdiction over it. Having built homes in Orlando and having spoken with various inspectors, I think your best bet is to hire a general contractor (GC) and have him take care of everything including permitting. You will pay extra for him to pull permits but he also assumes liability.

You are looking at quite a bit of work from utility set up to the actual building of the structure itself. This is not a project that will take a few weeks. This will take months.

Orange County inspectors, in my experience, are quite strict. Especially after the accident in 2019 where there was a huge investigation. Also, expect to report the rental income to the IRS.
How likely do you think that such a project would be approved? Do you have a rough range for how much this project could cost? 20K, 50K, 100K?

Last edited by erjoalgo; 02-04-2021 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 09:57 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjoalgo View Post
From the county appraiser website the neighborhood seems to be COLLEGE HEIGHTS, it is near UCF.
I know of no such subdivision or neighborhood in Orange County. Are you reading that off of the plat? Is it in Seminole County?

Anyway, if it is in Orange County and it's out near UCF it's unincorporated.

Here's a link to the code for ADUs - https://library.municode.com/fl/oran...1426ACSTACDWUN

Here's the use table showing a "P" for permitted in almost every zoning district
https://library.municode.com/fl/oran...OMA_S38-77USTA

Here's the zoning map but it's not very user friendly. You have to select "zoning" under the "Layers" tab then click on "Land Development" then "Zoning" then "Zoning outlines".
Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

Anyway, most of that area is R-1, R-1A, R-T, or PD. If the zoning is PD the rules are going to be whatever is written in the PD. And even if your zoning is R-1, if you have an HOA, they may get final say over whether or not you can build one.

If you're buying a house with the intention of building an ADU absolutely, 100% get a zoning verification letter from the permitting agency and get it in writing from the HOA before you purchase - I'd make it a condition in your agreement of sale.

If the property is in Seminole County you'd need to search for the same things on the Seminole County page. Best thing to do is to call the county with an address and ask them if an ADU would be permitted. If you get a hard no you can move on. If you get a yes or a maybe, ask for that zoning verification letter (usually $25 to $75 but worth it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: