Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:17 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,129,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycupstate View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, we actually went to check it out today. It was nice but not what we're looking for.

I picked Downtown since it's not Manhattan but a little similar, so it would likely provide some of the amenities and feel we're used to. I would not expect to have 4 supermarkets, including a Trader Joe, 25+ restaurants (5 Chinese), etc all within a block or two like we currently do in Manhattan. But I do want walkable choices and I either like the Urban feel or will go full Suburbia, ie Windermere, etc.
Chiming in to agree that the neighborhood south and east of Lake Eola is your best bet downtown. Along Orange and Rosalind is really loud, late into the night and especially on the weekends.

Also, have you checked out downtown Winter Park? It doesn't have the look or feel of downtown Orlando but there are some nice apartment (more likely condo) buildings just east of downtown on Lake Osceola and a lot of townhomes just west around the train station.

Nothing against downtown Orlando/Lake Eola. Before the pandemic I was there often. But when I think of practical places to live, if you're not working in downtown Orlando, then Winter Park would be much higher on my list. If I was in downtown Orlando I don't know where I'd go to buy a pair of shoes or get a box of nails to hang some picture frames. Winter Park has those practical, everyday things and, IMO, a better mix of restaurants. Trader Joe's might be a far walk in the heat but this time of year it's fine.

I was once a young-ish 20-something living in South Philly and it only briefly occurred to me to live in Center City. Rent was just too expensive. Even in my late 30s, I very briefly looked at rents in San Francisco, laughed, and found a place to rent in the East Bay. I still don't understand why the downtown cultural scene is so young here. Even in other similar sized cities - Charlotte, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc - it doesn't seem to skew as young. My best guess is that it's at least partly because of the relatively small downtown office market and at least partly because, with the exception of the Dr. Phillips Center, most of the cultural institutions are either in Loch Haven Park or in Winter Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 PM

14 posts, read 13,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Chiming in to agree that the neighborhood south and east of Lake Eola is your best bet downtown. Along Orange and Rosalind is really loud, late into the night and especially on the weekends.

Also, have you checked out downtown Winter Park? It doesn't have the look or feel of downtown Orlando but there are some nice apartment (more likely condo) buildings just east of downtown on Lake Osceola and a lot of townhomes just west around the train station.

Nothing against downtown Orlando/Lake Eola. Before the pandemic I was there often. But when I think of practical places to live, if you're not working in downtown Orlando, then Winter Park would be much higher on my list. If I was in downtown Orlando I don't know where I'd go to buy a pair of shoes or get a box of nails to hang some picture frames. Winter Park has those practical, everyday things and, IMO, a better mix of restaurants. Trader Joe's might be a far walk in the heat but this time of year it's fine.

I was once a young-ish 20-something living in South Philly and it only briefly occurred to me to live in Center City. Rent was just too expensive. Even in my late 30s, I very briefly looked at rents in San Francisco, laughed, and found a place to rent in the East Bay. I still don't understand why the downtown cultural scene is so young here. Even in other similar sized cities - Charlotte, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc - it doesn't seem to skew as young. My best guess is that it's at least partly because of the relatively small downtown office market and at least partly because, with the exception of the Dr. Phillips Center, most of the cultural institutions are either in Loch Haven Park or in Winter Park.
Funny, we actually just spend the afternoon in Winter Park. It's very nice, a little suburban. I took a look at apartments.com and a lot of the places in the best locations seem to not have vacancies. Might be worthf looking at in person.

How is Baldwin Park?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:56 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Funny, we actually just spend the afternoon in Winter Park. It's very nice, a little suburban. I took a look at apartments.com and a lot of the places in the best locations seem to not have vacancies. Might be worthf looking at in person.

How is Baldwin Park?
Baldwin Park is great. I currently live there, and it’s probably my favorite part of the city. Very walkable too.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:18 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Quote:

As far as practical shopping, downtown is really not that far from shopping in SODO, along Colonial Dr. and up into Winter Park. I live in Lake Eola Heights and have made it to Trader Joe’s in 7 minutes. For nails, there’s an Ace on Colonial/Bumby. Personally I love being able to walk to Lake Eola, Thornton Park, and the rest of downtown. As a former Manhattanite I understand the appeal of being in a tower in a walkable area. It’s the closest you’ll get to urban living here.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:24 PM

54 posts, read 55,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
As far as practical shopping, downtown is really not that far from shopping in SODO, along Colonial Dr. and up into Winter Park. I live in Lake Eola Heights and have made it to Trader Joe’s in 7 minutes. For nails, there’s an Ace on Colonial/Bumby. Personally I love being able to walk to Lake Eola, Thornton Park, and the rest of downtown. As a former Manhattanite I understand the appeal of being in a tower in a walkable area. It’s the closest you’ll get to urban living here.
I definitely agree with you! Not a NewYorker, but I’m European from the capital city, and Thornton Park and Lake Eola area looks most citiesh and very appealing to live in.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Funny, we actually just spend the afternoon in Winter Park. It's very nice, a little suburban . . .
Were you in downtown Winter Park? Near Park Ave? Just asking because Winter Park is large and varied and, if you're out on the highway, it looks a lot different from downtown. When I think suburban I think large lot subdivisions with big lawns. Not a mix of shops, townhomes, and apartment buildings but sure, Winter Park has a small town vibe.

Quote:
How is Baldwin Park?
I can (and do) walk to the Publix in Baldwin Park. It's a good place to be. I can't vouch for any of the larger apartment buildings but they seem to be well managed from the outside, anyway. The retail on New Broad was in a state of flux before the pandemic. I'm not sure what to expect over the next year or two. I don't know how much this really matters if you're going to have a car here anyway. It's probably just as practical a place to live as the downtown. There aren't nearly as many restaurants and you can't walk to soccer or basketball games but for the everyday stuff, sure. I certainly take advantage of most of what's there.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I wasn't trying to diminish downtown. I'm just saying that you can't walk to Trader Joe's in 7 minutes or even 20 minutes. There is a lot of useful stuff on Colonial but most of it is between Mills and Primrose. I'm just thinking for me, on the the everyday stuff I go out for and more often ride my bike to, if I lived in downtown Winter Park most of that stuff would be within a 10 minute walk and almost all of it would be within a 15-20 minute walk.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I can (and do) walk to the Publix in Baldwin Park. It's a good place to be. I can't vouch for any of the larger apartment buildings but they seem to be well managed from the outside, anyway. The retail on New Broad was in a state of flux before the pandemic. I'm not sure what to expect over the next year or two. I don't know how much this really matters if you're going to have a car here anyway. It's probably just as practical a place to live as the downtown. There aren't nearly as many restaurants and you can't walk to soccer or basketball games but for the everyday stuff, sure. I certainly take advantage of most of what's there.
Same... I walk to the Publix in Baldwin Park, as the walk is nice, even though I'm on the edge, a good 1/2 mile away.
Frankly, I don't need much else in terms of places to walk to: Publix is there, I can walk to Target (and Burlington, etc.) if I need to, there are enough bars and restaurants that if I want to sit outside and have a beer, I have no trouble finding that. There are cigar lounges and wine bars for those who are into that. There's a top-notch Sushi place, a decent steakhouse, a Gator's sports pub, etc. And a CVS. And gyms. An indoor pool, karate centers... All on or near New Broad St. Not to mention miles of bike trails scattered around.
I live in a 2-story apartment here. No issues whatsoever. A friend of mine lives in a studio in a 3 story right by Publix. He's been there for 10 years. Similarly, no issues. The high prices drive out most of the riff-raff.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,514,033 times
Quote:
Agreed. I wasn't trying to diminish downtown. I'm just saying that you can't walk to Trader Joe's in 7 minutes or even 20 minutes. There is a lot of useful stuff on Colonial but most of it is between Mills and Primrose. I'm just thinking for me, on the the everyday stuff I go out for and more often ride my bike to, if I lived in downtown Winter Park most of that stuff would be within a 10 minute walk and almost all of it would be within a 15-20 minute walk.
I think it’s subjective. I’m less than half a mile away from Publix, and can walk to anywhere along Mills, down to Thornton Park, Lake Eola or Orange Ave. There’s also all the rental scooters around if I don’t feel like walking or taking my bike.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I think it’s subjective. I’m less than half a mile away from Publix, and can walk to anywhere along Mills, down to Thornton Park, Lake Eola or Orange Ave. There’s also all the rental scooters around if I don’t feel like walking or taking my bike.
But your Publix (downtown) is horrible lol... Ours (in Baldwin) ROCKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando