Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 19,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
Good luck finding insurance if the home you are considering is near anything that has had a sinkhole ! We are due to close very soon on a property and we cannot find an insurer because the house was near a very large sink hole in 2012 !! . We have been quoted 10,000 and 2 actually said no. There is a map that can identify sinkhole activity in the area you are looking. I think you may be okay in a new neighborhood, Nationwide told us they were only insuring homes built after 2002 now.
Are you buying in a new development in Windermere? The one I am looking to purchase is a new construction home being sold by Ryan Homes at Sanctuary, Windermere. Btw, thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I may have to reconsider my decision to buy there. I also saw a large sinkhole incident back in 2012 at Windermere, I am getting nervous now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
About six years ago, I bought a house in a suburb of Orlando. After I'd been living there awhile, I learned that the house directly across the (narrow) street had had a sinkhole on the property that had been filled in with concrete. It had no effect on my ability to get homeowner's insurance for my house, but I think the owners across the street had a hard time selling their house.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 19,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
About six years ago, I bought a house in a suburb of Orlando. After I'd been living there awhile, I learned that the house directly across the (narrow) street had had a sinkhole on the property that had been filled in with concrete. It had no effect on my ability to get homeowner's insurance for my house, but I think the owners across the street had a hard time selling their house.
Thanks. So I guess it’s a lingering issue. Any day one is vulnerable to the inability to sell the house or get in to a situation of not being able to renew the insurance policy at least with reasonable terms. My sole purpose of buying in FL is just to spend some time during winters as I hate cold weather of east coast, but looks like I will be moving in to constant fearful or uncertain situations

Old 03-04-2021, 11:55 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saivaranasi View Post
looks like I will be moving in to constant fearful or uncertain situations
This stuff makes for great clickbait "Florida man swallowed by sinkhole!"

but it's not a reality most people concern themselves with. Hurricanes are a much larger, much more realistic concern.

Sinkholes larger than 10 ft. in diameter are rare and sinkholes that render a home uninhabitable are even more rare. If you're that concerned about it look for a home in a more upland location - and a place that's either well established or more rural. In either case, away from intense, new development and groundwater pumping.

The corollaries with sinkholes are big ups and downs in the water table and putting water on top of the karst where it wouldn't naturally go.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:05 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
A psychiatrist may help with your “constant fear and feeling of uncertainty” this is meant genuinely not as a jab. There is no reason to have constant fear, so if you do, you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: