Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lessman View Post
Of all the states to imagine Florida aspiring to be, why choose Massachusetts?
Highest ranked public schools, well-educated population, low crime generally speaking, diverse economy, top-tier healthcare, fairly minimal environmental issues and an overall lack of catastrophic weather to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The article states that the ~$36k is the MEDIAN salary. Elsewhere, I’m seeing that the AVERAGE is over $60k.
https://www.payscale.com/research/US...ando-FL/Salary
All that the median salary is saying is that half of the jobs pay less than $36k, which again, is due to the high number of service and retail jobs catered around tourism. There are more of those jobs in Orlando than in most places.
The average sits right where it should. If anything, it means that there isn’t much of a middle/lower-middle class in the region. You have service jobs (where the high volume of students in the area work) that pay poorly, and then you have high-paying jobs that being the average up.
As is the perception by many of the national minimum wage situation, not really the reality. Around 48% of minimum wage workers are under the age of 24. The remaining 52% account for over the age of 25 with 22% age 25-34, 12% age 35-44, and the remaining 17% age 45-65. 67% of all minimum wage workers are female, 72% are white/non-Hispanic, over half of all workers in the labor market work for minimum wage and around 40% are single mothers with children.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What part of Florida is a retirement state don't you understand? FL was never meant to be or going to be Massachusetts.
That notion of exclusiveness sailed years ago as many retirees are discovering there's more to paying no taxes and the largely cultureless FL retirement. States like OR, ID, TN and NC are drawing away from the retirement pipeline although the NY-NJ-PA to FL retirement migration shows no sign of letting up.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:05 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As is the perception by many of the national minimum wage situation, not really the reality. Around 48% of minimum wage workers are under the age of 24. The remaining 52% account for over the age of 25 with 22% age 25-34, 12% age 35-44, and the remaining 17% age 45-65. 67% of all minimum wage workers are female, 72% are white/non-Hispanic, over half of all workers in the labor market work for minimum wage and around 40% are single mothers with children.
All I said was that a “high volume of” students work, and I’d assume in a place like Orlando, where there are over 100k college students and high tourist activity, that the numbers are well above 48%. Look at who is working the theme park rides, the ticket booths, etc.
All I can do is assume based on my observations, as I do not have raw numbers for the age distribution among minimum wage earners in central Florida. I will say this, however: I do not know a single person over 30 earning minimum wage in Orlando. I’m sure there are quite a few, but I haven’t encountered them.

Also, I'm not in any way implying that Florida has "high wages." I myself work for an out-of-state firm. Just that Florida has a disproportionate amount of service jobs, as well as students (huge universities in all major cities,) and this particularly applies to Central Florida and SFL.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 06-28-2021 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 12:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Of all the states to imagine Florida aspiring to be, why choose Massachusetts?
He chose MA because its a high wage, recent graduate magnet, life science/tech/startup booming city of endless opportunities and upward mobility. Its expensive, ~880k for a home in Boston on average, but the wealth builds over time. Its fast paced, cut throat, expensive and sometimes it can be a drag... but everyday a new company is moving there and bringing their 200k jobs with them for recent grads to come, flourish, raise their kids in A1 top tier schools.. maybe an ivy or two for your kids, build wealth, live that desired NE lifestyle, and then when it is time to settle down.. go for a cheaper less crunching state like NH RI FL SC NC or ME. Im year 1 into my PHD and I already have a pipeline of job opportunities with private firms in Boston (And New York). But in 30 years, Florida will eventually become desirable to someone like me. I wont bring my job with me upon retirement, but what I will be bringing with me is possibly a new warm climate home to hide out in winter months? (Not me specifically, just people in my age cohort who do land jobs and will move south. Id personally just move to NH or RI upon retirement or hideaway)

FL is expensive because it is highly desirable in a completely different way than MA. Not just retirement, but change of lifestyle. Jobs are coming to FL.. but not at the depth and quality as in MA. Make your money, give your intellectual property in NY/NJ/MA, build your stocks/portfolio, watch your value grow.. and then buy and life a high quality life style in FL. Whether that be Orlando, Miami, Tampa, a Beach, etc.

im going to go out on a limb and say FL isnt all that great for retirees anyway. Its expensive, lacks public transportation and the heat can be unbearable all year round. Its serving a way different group of people now. Which honestly, might be better for the state. Attracting New Yorkers, Midwesterns and New Englanders with $$, having them start lives down here.. maybe start a few new businesses? Sounds like a win win for FL

Old 06-29-2021, 03:44 PM

141 posts, read 115,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
He chose MA because its a high wage, recent graduate magnet, life science/tech/startup booming city of endless opportunities and upward mobility.
All of those things are achievable in Florida. Bear in mind that Florida is a much younger state in terms of development, with heavy population only happening in the latter half in the 20th century, thanks to air conditioning and mastery over water.

Quote:
Jobs are coming to FL.. but not at the depth and quality as in MA.
It will take time for Florida to mature and develop a more diversified economy. Tourism and real estate hold sway and get the most attention from politicians.

Quote:
Make your money, give your intellectual property in NY/NJ/MA...
I suppose your handle says it all, and that MA must loom large in your imagination, but I find your mention of it in the same slash-delimited list as NY and NJ to be remarkable. I've seldom heard MA mentioned by anyone, despite the fact that it has a rich history and is home to some storied institutions of higher learning. Maybe that's because NY / NJ contribute so strongly to the transplant community in FL.

Quote:
im going to go out on a limb and say FL isnt all that great for retirees anyway. Its expensive, lacks public transportation and the heat can be unbearable all year round. Its serving a way different group of people now. Which honestly, might be better for the state. Attracting New Yorkers, Midwesterns and New Englanders with $$, having them start lives down here.. maybe start a few new businesses? Sounds like a win win for FL
It's not that treacherous a limb. The days of shuffleboard and cheap living are in the past. I agree that people coming to FL to build lives rather than just to retire, attend a rehab, or "sort things out" is a boon to the state.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:45 PM

238 posts, read 99,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando ranks 50th out of the Top 50 metro areas
Guess the wife and I are doing alright then... moved from Seattle and brought our pay rates with us... but not the left coast garbage we never voted for. I'm 46, she's 53... and the cost of living was a lot higher out there. These $300k houses you see around here would easily be $1M+ out west as long as they were within 100 miles of Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
“Get better skills”

*sarcasm*
You're right though.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
All of those things are achievable in Florida. Bear in mind that Florida is a much younger state in terms of development, with heavy population only happening in the latter half in the 20th century, thanks to air conditioning and mastery over water.

It will take time for Florida to mature and develop a more diversified economy. Tourism and real estate hold sway and get the most attention from politicians.

I suppose your handle says it all, and that MA must loom large in your imagination, but I find your mention of it in the same slash-delimited list as NY and NJ to be remarkable. I've seldom heard MA mentioned by anyone, despite the fact that it has a rich history and is home to some storied institutions of higher learning. Maybe that's because NY / NJ contribute so strongly to the transplant community in FL.

It's not that treacherous a limb. The days of shuffleboard and cheap living are in the past. I agree that people coming to FL to build lives rather than just to retire, attend a rehab, or "sort things out" is a boon to the state.
They are not achievable in Florida by any means in this current day and age.

Again, it doesnt take much typing to find out the top job markets ad who runs the lists for best wage growth + highest paying jobs. Again, you make your money in MA/NY/NJ, once you have a million or two in the bank and a home in cash, you head to FL SC NC GA etc and let your dollar go further while living off of that 401k and IRA.

And COVID migration patterns have taught us that. But a whole new wave moves into NY/NJ/MA, and then the cycle continues.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
Guess the wife and I are doing alright then... moved from Seattle and brought our pay rates with us... but not the left coast garbage we never voted for. I'm 46, she's 53... and the cost of living was a lot higher out there. These $300k houses you see around here would easily be $1M+ out west as long as they were within 100 miles of Seattle.

You're right though.
They are $1m+ because the demand and concentration of jobs in the Seattle area is insane. The wages are high, and to boot WA is one of the prettiest states in the country. Limited topography dictates how much you can actually build. All in all, you grt not enough housing for an excess amount of people looking to live in said area. Its why you have seen prices more than triple in highly desirable, high wage cities like Seattle, Austin, Boston and San Jose.

You are comparing to Seattle, a borderline Alpha city with high wage tech jobs to Florida which excels in other industries. Theres no comparing the two.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:00 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
They are $1m+ because the demand and concentration of jobs in the Seattle area is insane. The wages are high, and to boot WA is one of the prettiest states in the country. Limited topography dictates how much you can actually build. All in all, you grt not enough housing for an excess amount of people looking to live in said area. Its why you have seen prices more than triple in highly desirable, high wage cities like Seattle, Austin, Boston and San Jose.

You are comparing to Seattle, a borderline Alpha city with high wage tech jobs to Florida which excels in other industries. Theres no comparing the two.

When was the last time you've been to Seattle? Have you ever been to Seattle? There isn't an overpass without shoulder to shoulder homeless tents. The majority of the downtown is covered with homeless. Trash everywhere. And this idea that high paying jobs are easy and plentiful is just hilarious. If you work at McDonalds in Orlando, you aren't going to be working as a programmer for Microsoft if you move to Seattle lol. If you are a skilled person with the proper education and experience there is more room for advancement for sure, but the idea that "aww I only make $20k in Orlando, if I lived in Seattle I'd be pulling in $100k at least" is such a joke lol. One of my friends was an engineer at Kennedy Space Center and now is working in Seattle at Blue Origin. He wasn't working as a restaurant server here. Ask all the homeless people living in tents, "guys didn't you know Seattle is covered with high paying jobs, there are so many they give them away guys!" I used to live in Seattle and still have most of my dad's family there. My last trip back I was beyond disgusted how dirty and abused the city is looking these days compared to when I used to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando