Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:05 AM

238 posts, read 99,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
They are $1m+ because the demand and concentration of jobs in the Seattle area is insane. The wages are high, and to boot WA is one of the prettiest states in the country. Limited topography dictates how much you can actually build. All in all, you grt not enough housing for an excess amount of people looking to live in said area. Its why you have seen prices more than triple in highly desirable, high wage cities like Seattle, Austin, Boston and San Jose.

You are comparing to Seattle, a borderline Alpha city with high wage tech jobs to Florida which excels in other industries. Theres no comparing the two.
You're right... after 10 years in Seattle I can honestly say it's the armpit of America... and now dead last in job growth... with red states TX and FL at the top.

https://komonews.com/news/local/a-ne...-in-job-growth

It is one of the prettiest areas of the country... but that doesn't offset everything else that is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When was the last time you've been to Seattle? Have you ever been to Seattle? There isn't an overpass without shoulder to shoulder homeless tents. The majority of the downtown is covered with homeless. Trash everywhere. And this idea that high paying jobs are easy and plentiful is just hilarious. If you work at McDonalds in Orlando, you aren't going to be working as a programmer for Microsoft if you move to Seattle lol. If you are a skilled person with the proper education and experience there is more room for advancement for sure, but the idea that "aww I only make $20k in Orlando, if I lived in Seattle I'd be pulling in $100k at least" is such a joke lol. One of my friends was an engineer at Kennedy Space Center and now is working in Seattle at Blue Origin. He wasn't working as a restaurant server here. Ask all the homeless people living in tents, "guys didn't you know Seattle is covered with high paying jobs, there are so many they give them away guys!" I used to live in Seattle and still have most of my dad's family there. My last trip back I was beyond disgusted how dirty and abused the city is looking these days compared to when I used to live there.
Amazing post. Wish I could rep you again.

I did exactly that... advancing my career when I moved to Seattle in 2011 and brought those wages with me to Orlando in 2021.

You're right about the homeless... I've never seen it sticking out like a sore thumb like I did in Seattle. I'm talking tents all over the city... next to landmarks... on public school grounds... in the parking lots of local businesses... and lets not forget the RVs parked on the streets. Most didn't even run. You'd see some truck pull up next to them every few days, latch on, and tow the RV 2 blocks down the street to avoid the abandoned vehicle laws.

https://komonews.com/news/local/enca...rn-frustration

Someone told me last week that FL and WA have roughly the same number of homeless... something like 28k people. I guess FL is doing pretty good then considering the state population is 3x... 21M vs 7M. I've yet to see a single tent or RV around the Orlando and Tampa area. Must be hiding pretty well...

I'm not surprised about your friend either. Seattle ain't what it used to be. Orlando and Florida is a refreshing change.

Last edited by FLcycler; 06-30-2021 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: ... typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 04:10 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Could all the theme parks and seevice industry jobs have anythimg to do with that?

Old 06-30-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
You're right... after 10 years in Seattle I can honestly say it's the armpit of America... and now dead last in job growth... with red states TX and FL at the top.

https://komonews.com/news/local/a-ne...-in-job-growth

It is one of the prettiest areas of the country... but that doesn't offset everything else that is bad.

Amazing post. Wish I could rep you again.

I did exactly that... advancing my career when I moved to Seattle in 2011 and brought those wages with me to Orlando in 2021.

You're right about the homeless... I've never seen it sticking out like a sore thumb like I did in Seattle. I'm talking tents all over the city... next to landmarks... on public school grounds... in the parking lots of local businesses... and lets not forget the RVs parked on the streets. Most didn't even run. You'd see some truck pull up next to them every few days, latch on, and tow the RV 2 blocks down the street to avoid the abandoned vehicle laws.

Someone told me last week that FL and WA have roughly the same number of homeless... something like 28k people. I guess FL is doing pretty good then considering the state population is 3x... 21M vs 7M. I've yet to see a single tent or RV around the Orlando and Tampa area. Must be hiding pretty well...

I'm not surprised about your friend either. Seattle ain't what it used to be. Orlando and Florida is a refreshing change.
Someone told me last week Trump wears diapers, probably the same person that told you the homeless population is the same! A very reliable source!

Old 06-30-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Could all the theme parks and seevice industry jobs have anythimg to do with that?
I'd say it's a huge factor. McJobs require little skill... most can be automated... and pay accordingly.

Quote:
Someone told me last week Trump wears diapers, probably the same person that told you the homeless population is the same! A very reliable source!
What's your point? I don't know what the homeless numbers are in FL or in WA and honestly don't care... I only mentioned it for the sake of comparison in case it was accurate. What I do know is it's out of control out west and that's plainly visible with a visit to Seattle or any other left coast city like Portland or SF.

The perks of voting Democratic for 35 years?

Old 06-30-2021, 06:18 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
I'd say it's a huge factor. McJobs require little skill... most can be automated... and pay accordingly.
That’s exactly what it boils down to. Many refuse to understand or accept this concept.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:

What's your point? I don't know what the homeless numbers are in FL or in WA and honestly don't care... I only mentioned it for the sake of comparison in case it was accurate. What I do know is it's out of control out west and that's plainly visible with a visit to Seattle or any other left coast city like Portland or SF.

The perks of voting Democratic for 35 years?
Throwing around baseless claims based on what you heard from someone is pretty laughable. If you make that bold of a claim facts would be nice.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Throwing around baseless claims based on what you heard from someone is pretty laughable. If you make that bold of a claim facts would be nice.
What are you talking about? I'm not claiming anything. Are you talking about the homeless numbers? Where I said "someone told me?"

Quote:

That? ^

Again... what are you talking about? Tell me as if I took them for their word and didn't actually go research it because a) I'm too lazy and b) I don't really care.

Actually don't... it doesn't matter. Not gonna try to debate you when I have no idea what you're talking about.

Back on topic now...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
That’s exactly what it boils down to. Many refuse to understand or accept this concept.
Yep... and they act as if the government owes them a living and "would you like fries with that" is a $30 an hour skill.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:48 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Yep... and they act as if the government owes them a living and "would you like fries with that" is a $30 an hour skill.
As usual over-exaggeration from the opposing viewpoint of others being allowed to live a decent life by those who "got theirs". I cannot recall anyone ever demanding $30 an hour for service sector work and see almost exclusively a demand for half that, $15 an hour. The very fact that anyone could besmirch someone an amount that's still not considered a living wage in many areas ($15 an hour) is nauseating and yet the typical everyday greedy American of late. Feeling proud?

Old 06-30-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As usual over-exaggeration from the opposing viewpoint of others being allowed to live a decent life by those who "got theirs". I cannot recall anyone ever demanding $30 an hour for service sector work and see almost exclusively a demand for half that, $15 an hour. The very fact that anyone could besmirch someone an amount that's still not considered a living wage in many areas ($15 an hour) is nauseating and yet the typical everyday greedy American of late. Feeling proud?
Proud of the fact I started at the bottom and worked my way up the chain the old fashioned way... by learning a trade and becoming good at it... good enough to where I was hired by an employer on the other side of the country... twice.

So yeah, $30 an hour was an exaggeration... point remains the same though. McJobs don't feature $15 an hour skillsets either. I don't see what's so difficult about learning a better skill if you want better pay. Make yourself valuable? Anybody can work a McJob... and the entire $15 an hour thing means we'll soon be seeing more automation... like the order kiosks I saw at 2 fast food places when I was at the airport last month.

Either that or items on the $1 menu will cost $6.

It's not really about me not wanting others to live a decent life... it's more about the entitlement we see in today's society and people wanting everything handed to them that I don't like... doesn't have anything to do with greed.

Anyway... nothing else to really see here on this topic about low wages in Orlando. It's pretty obvious as to why as has already been stated.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Proud of the fact I started at the bottom and worked my way up the chain the old fashioned way... by learning a trade and becoming good at it... good enough to where I was hired by an employer on the other side of the country... twice.

So yeah, $30 an hour was an exaggeration... point remains the same though. McJobs don't feature $15 an hour skillsets either. I don't see what's so difficult about learning a better skill if you want better pay. Make yourself valuable? Anybody can work a McJob... and the entire $15 an hour thing means we'll soon be seeing more automation... like the order kiosks I saw at 2 fast food places when I was at the airport last month.

Either that or items on the $1 menu will cost $6.

It's not really about me not wanting others to live a decent life... it's more about the entitlement we see in today's society and people wanting everything handed to them that I don't like... doesn't have anything to do with greed.

Anyway... nothing else to really see here on this topic about low wages in Orlando. It's pretty obvious as to why as has already been stated.

Good luck.
Denmark McDonalds pays $22 an hour, minimum. The price of the Big Mac went up less than 0.50. Keep in mind, universal healthcare, free education balance out the slightly higher COL and tax burden. They still take home way more than US equivalents making 9.00.. even 15.00/hr.
Your theory has been debunked.. many many times. People don't want freebies.. they want to be able to work 40 hours a week and be able to pay their rent + have their electric on + eat. Its not that crazy of an idea.

Im not sure what you are trying to prove. You just sound mad you couldn't make it in Seattle. Don't take out your frustrations on the people of Orlando. Orlando has a big wage problem. And if you truly loved Orlando, you would want to fix that.. not talk about the privilege's you made and why you didn't make it Seattle. Which has nothing to do with this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando