Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 10:59 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have decided to move to FL in the Fall. I have a 10 year old and my divorce will be finalized by the end of the year. (We are on good terms). I work remotely and will be renting for a while.

I am not super familiar with Orlando but I have chosen the area because I have friends who live there. I have never been south of the city by the way.

What are some good areas I should look into? (Within 30 mins of it) I am hoping to find a 2 or 3 bedroom house for rent (pet friendly) soon and get the ball rolling. I just returned from a vacation there and I will be driving to FL again next month for two weeks.

I am laid-back and don’t mind driving places to get things done. I don’t need to be in the middle of all the action - so to speak. I just want a safe area with a good school district.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:10 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Based on what you wrote, I'd go with Oviedo. It's reasonable priced, low crime and has good public schools.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:30 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Lake Mary-West Sanford and much of Longwood are good areas too with better schools and less spread out/traffic-ridden as Oviedo tends to be.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:14 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Both choices above are good.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
How is the Hunters Creek area? We are looking at the Orlando Metro as an area of interest.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:41 PM

9 posts, read 12,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Based on what you wrote, I'd go with Oviedo. It's reasonable priced, low crime and has good public schools.
Oviedo was first to pop up in my mind as well! Lake Mary/Sanford area as a close second.

But as you know, you usually trade in one set of problems for another.

In the Oviedo community, theirs an ongoing conversation about the sexual assault allegations in the schools. Making me feel like it's higher than average.

I didn't even know this had happened before stating the above:

https://www.ibtimes.com/high-school-...throom-3241750

In Lake Mary/Sanford, you generally have sanford which has more crime than usual in some parts. As pp noted, less congested and access to I4. Lake Mary has been slowly developing its projects while Oviedo seems to be on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnl702 View Post
How is the Hunters Creek area? We are looking at the Orlando Metro as an area of interest.

Hunters Creek is good if you are a Spanish speaker. It's a decent middle class area, but unless I was a Spanish speaker, I'd choose to live in other areas.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:36 PM

169 posts, read 126,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Hi all. I have decided to move to FL in the Fall. I have a 10 year old and my divorce will be finalized by the end of the year. (We are on good terms). I work remotely and will be renting for a while.

I am not super familiar with Orlando but I have chosen the area because I have friends who live there. I have never been south of the city by the way.

What are some good areas I should look into? (Within 30 mins of it) I am hoping to find a 2 or 3 bedroom house for rent (pet friendly) soon and get the ball rolling. I just returned from a vacation there and I will be driving to FL again next month for two weeks.

I am laid-back and don’t mind driving places to get things done. I don’t need to be in the middle of all the action - so to speak. I just want a safe area with a good school district.

Thank you
What’s your budget? Hard to answer without knowing that. As far as good districts go, I’d steer clear from Osceola County, as the schools aren’t great. Orange County and Seminole are A rated districts. OCPS schools can be hit or miss — it just depends on where you’re zoned. SCPS are generally pretty solid.

There are a lot of great areas all over metro Orlando. Again, it just depends on what you can afford.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 126,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Hunters Creek is good if you are a Spanish speaker. It's a decent middle class area, but unless I was a Spanish speaker, I'd choose to live in other areas.
Agree with this. It wouldn’t be my first choice. It definitely isn’t a bad area though. Just too close to Kissimmee and OBT for my taste.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:47 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
What’s your budget? Hard to answer without knowing that. As far as good districts go, I’d steer clear from Osceola County, as the schools aren’t great. Orange County and Seminole are A rated districts. OCPS schools can be hit or miss — it just depends on where you’re zoned. SCPS are generally pretty solid.

There are a lot of great areas all over metro Orlando. Again, it just depends on what you can afford.
Orange County is not an "A" rated district, not even close. There are 67 school districts in FL and Orange County is ranked at #25 and actually Osceola County edged out Orange County in the US News rankings due to better performance on Math and English test scoring, as well as "College Readiness" criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando