Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 09:45 AM

44 posts, read 121,984 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orlando for work in May, and I have a 15-month lease I can afford. But rent will go up dramatically by the end of that lease at this complex. It already has gone up now (for new tenants here) and I can only image it will be even more by the end of the 15-month lease.

When doing apartment-searching, I only seem to come across two types:

- "Income-restricted" (under $32K/year) complexes with horror story reviews
- "Luxury" apartments that are overpriced with amenities I don't need (pool, gym, etc)

Is there such a thing as decent, working-class apartments in this area?

I don't qualify for income-restricted, but these luxury apartments cost more than 50% of my monthly income.

I'd like to be a close commute to work. Work is in the "Medical City" part of Lake Nona, and my current apartment is close to that. But with Disney moving to Lake Nona (with their 2000+ Californian workers), I fear that the area will cost San Francisco levels of ridiculousness by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 12:38 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,146,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post
I moved to Orlando for work in May, and I have a 15-month lease I can afford. But rent will go up dramatically by the end of that lease at this complex. It already has gone up now (for new tenants here) and I can only image it will be even more by the end of the 15-month lease.

When doing apartment-searching, I only seem to come across two types:

- "Income-restricted" (under $32K/year) complexes with horror story reviews
- "Luxury" apartments that are overpriced with amenities I don't need (pool, gym, etc)

Is there such a thing as decent, working-class apartments in this area?

I don't qualify for income-restricted, but these luxury apartments cost more than 50% of my monthly income.

I'd like to be a close commute to work. Work is in the "Medical City" part of Lake Nona, and my current apartment is close to that. But with Disney moving to Lake Nona (with their 2000+ Californian workers), I fear that the area will cost San Francisco levels of ridiculousness by then.
The land that Tavistock controls is on both sides of the Orange/Osceola county line - there's more land on the Osceola side than on the Orange side so, as big as Lake Nona seems, it's only about 1/3 of what they're actually building. Some of their projects on the Osceola side are already underway (Sunbridge) and others are being permitted now. The 2,000 jobs from CA (assume 2,000 new households) amount to a small part of what they're building.

As for cheap(er) apartments - if you're only looking on zillow or one of the other big apartment websites you're already filtering for the most expensive places. Keep an eye on Craigslist. I would focus on the 417 corridor and not limit yourself to new(ish) apartment complexes. When I first moved here some of the cheapest places I saw were between downtown and Winter Park in small buildings with 3-5 units. Also, with a roommate you can rent a nice 3 bedroom house and pay less in rent than a one bedroom apartment. Or, if you have decent credit, buy. There are still a lot of townhomes in the low to mid 200s that would be smart investment and a mortgage/tax/hoa/insurance bill of around $1400-$1500 a month for 2 or 3 bedroom.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 PM

I don't even need an apartment complex. I don't use any of the amenities when I live in one. I wouldn't mind renting a house, or unit in a high-rise that doesn't necessarily have a pool or gym.

Sometimes I wonder if it would just be best to buy a double-wide (installed on a base so it's not taxed as a vehicle).

Old 08-16-2021, 05:46 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,763,215 times
There’s really not much of a visible market of in-between units. I’ve said the same thing. Things are either luxury or lower end. One solution is to find an older building (which could mean 1990s era) that have been renovated in the past few years. That may be a good middle ground.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
One solution is to find an older building (which could mean 1990s era) that have been renovated in the past few years.
In my old state, I've lived in apartment complexes and buildings from the 1960s or even older. So 1990s isn't old... unless it's termite-damaged. Which means I wouldn't mind such a building, if I could find them.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:05 AM

183 posts, read 147,357 times
Keep in mind that a "Luxury apartment" is only a marketing term. Don't think you're priced out already because of a name.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:50 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,171,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post
In my old state, I've lived in apartment complexes and buildings from the 1960s or even older. So 1990s isn't old... unless it's termite-damaged. Which means I wouldn't mind such a building, if I could find them.
There are some out there. Here's several:

http://www.winterparkoaks.org/

https://lakeivanhoeshores.pmiflorida.com/

https://pmiflorida.com/property/st-regis/

https://pmiflorida.com/property/yale-town-homes/

https://www.concordlake-apt.com/index.htm

https://www.highmarkapt.com/

https://longmanagement.net/our-communities

Old 08-17-2021, 04:56 PM

17,472 posts, read 15,617,347 times
Be careful with St Regis… They are set to sell the land for condo high rise development.

Add to your list: On Baldwin Pond just outside of Baldwin Park.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:38 AM

2,943 posts, read 4,146,572 times
Lake Ivanhoe Shores are vintage Florida. 100%. It's also a great location that's close to everything. The only downside is that you're close to I-4 but with the new sound walls you can't really hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando