Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 10:11 PM

41 posts, read 65,633 times

Advertisements

Debating moving to Orlando (or perhaps Tampa, or St. John's County, or N. Jax). Want a 4K sq foot house with true multi-gen components (kitchenette, separate living spaces under same roof) for around $650K. Have a middle schooler so schools important. Windermere looks great (visited recently) but determining school quality in that area seems challenging (Windermere High vs. Dr. Phillips, etc.)

Would prefer to be in a primarily year-round neighborhood. Also CDD/HOA well under $5K. Love the Winter Garden area. Am I crazy or will I see anything like this when the spring inventory picks up? All thoughts welcomed, especially neighborhood suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 04:45 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Winter Park or Maitland would be a good choice for an established area with your requirements. If you insist on being close to Winter Garden, then maybe the Horizon West area will suit you well. Nearly everything there is shiny and new.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 AM

496 posts, read 520,977 times
Have you thought of building? Wedgefield has space and a good K-8.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:25 AM

Trying to avoid building given the high cost of lumber but may have to go that route. Are there any recommended builders for this purpose? Don't want to be further out than Oviedo I think.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:20 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie100 View Post
Debating moving to Orlando (or perhaps Tampa, or St. John's County, or N. Jax). Want a 4K sq foot house with true multi-gen components (kitchenette, separate living spaces under same roof) for around $650K. Have a middle schooler so schools important. Windermere looks great (visited recently) but determining school quality in that area seems challenging (Windermere High vs. Dr. Phillips, etc.)

Would prefer to be in a primarily year-round neighborhood. Also CDD/HOA well under $5K. Love the Winter Garden area. Am I crazy or will I see anything like this when the spring inventory picks up? All thoughts welcomed, especially neighborhood suggestions.
Most cities - and unincorporated Orange County - permit accessory dwelling units as long as the lot is big enough and you have room for an extra parking space. If you're looking at 4k square feet it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of builders in Orlando are doing them. A lot of homes in Baldwin park were built new with them. From what I've seen it takes 9-12 months from concept to completion.

I'm just saying that if schools are a concern, you're better off trying to find the house you like in the neighborhood you want and then build your ADU rather than trying to pull off all of those requirements at the same time. Besides, then you get the mother-in-law suite you want rather than what someone else built.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:44 PM

Great post -- thx drive carephilly! I'll keep my eyes open. Are there impervious limitations to consider as well? I'm hoping to do this in an area that's not rural.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:23 PM

237 posts, read 283,922 times
https://www.lennar.com/ProductsAndServices/NextGen

Old 01-27-2021, 08:25 PM

54 posts, read 55,620 times
If schools are concern, your best areas are: Windermere, Dr Phillips, Winter Park, and Oviedo.

I personally reside in Dr Phillips, and we chose it because it was the best option for us. It still remains so after many years. My kids went through all the schools, the youngest now is in middle, so schools are excellent and many programs are available.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:53 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie100 View Post
Great post -- thx drive carephilly! I'll keep my eyes open. Are there impervious limitations to consider as well? I'm hoping to do this in an area that's not rural.
Most cities in the area have their code on Municode - library.municode.com - click on Florida, then all the cities are alphabetical. Once you're on the city's page just search "accessory dwelling unit"

I looked up Windermere and it's pretty boiler plate -

Sec. 7.02.07. - Accessory dwelling units.
(a)Within residential areas, only one accessory dwelling unit may be provided in addition to the primary dwelling unit.(b)The accessory dwelling unit may be located within the primary building (i.e. accessory apartment) or may be located within a separate building (i.e. guesthouse) on the lot or parcel.(c)The accessory dwelling unit may not be sold independent of the principal structure, rented, or leased.(d)If the accessory dwelling unit is located within the primary building (i.e. accessory apartment), then the following regulations apply - (1)No more than one accessory apartment shall be permitted on any residential lot or parcel.(2)Any accessory apartment shall be located within the principal building. (Note: The principal building shall be construed to mean the dwelling unit or house located on the lot or parcel, and not any other accessory structure.) An accessory apartment shall not be construed to be located within the principal building if connected only by a breezeway, roofed passage or similar structure.(3)The accessory apartment shall not exceed 25 percent of the gross floor area of the principal building within which it is located.(4)The accessory apartment shall be located and designed not to interfere with the appearance of the principal building as a single-family dwelling unit.(e)If the accessory dwelling unit is not located within the principal building (i.e. guesthouse) and is located in a separate accessory building, then the following regulations apply - (1)The accessory dwelling unit must be no closer than ten feet to the principal building or any other accessory building.(2)The accessory dwelling unit may not exceed 45 percent of the gross square feet of the principal building.(3)The accessory dwelling unit shall be located within the building envelope for the lot or parcel.(4)The accessory dwelling unit shall be designed to be similar in appearance to the principal building.

There will be impervious requirements in most places but it usually depends on the zoning for that particular house. For larger lot zoning it's usually around 35-45% impervious. If you're buying into a subdivision that has PD zoning, call the local planning department, sometimes developers negotiate higher impervious cover requirements so they can have smaller stormwater ponds (but again, probably less of an issue if you're looking at a larger lot). If you find a house you like I'd just call them and ask, "Hey, Is an ADU possible here? What's the impervious ratio?" From there it shouldn't be difficult to find out how much hardscape is already on the property.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:48 PM

170 posts, read 571,545 times
I second Wedgefield. Easy access to Orlando, but a little closer to the beach than the rest of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando