Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 09:12 AM

31 posts, read 18,208 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the general US forum and it seemed to point towards CA do I’m posting it here again. I am trying to find a place with better climate, scenery and for allergies. I grew up in the south, and my family is comprised of myself, wife, young children and older parents (active and independent as of now). I do not need a job. I do not think money would preclude my ability to move somewhere.

While I love the people of the south, I do not like the fact that many are less educated/sophisticated/worldly, the gun culture, the allergies (I have mildly bad allergies), the climate, the lack of natural beauty. I have also created a lifestyle (my fault) that is not how I want to continue for my children to grow up in. I grew up in the 80s and nineties in a middle class suburb where the neighborhood kids would ride around our bikes and have sleepovers, play basketball and hang out at each other’s houses. I want my kids to have some semblance of this but they do not. They go to private school where kids live all over the city and we do not talk to our neighbors. I am getting sick of the material lifestyle and want my kids to appreciate a good work ethic and values.

I am looking for a place where there are:

-excellent neighborhood schools
-Highly educated people
-people are wealthy but not preoccupied with making more and more and are simple people (yet not old either meaning in their 30s and 40s)? Relationships are valued.
-really nice climate. I don’t care if it has 4 seasons or not I do not like cold or snow)
-beautiful, water, mountains, etc..
-Good or average for allergy sufferers
-low gun ownership
-within 1 or so hours of an international airport
-socially left leaning (fiscal conservative is fine)
-good place for seniors AND good for kids too
-ethnically diverse
-I would like to own a home on water
-since we will be new, accepting people. I have read of some places that people have a hard time making friends.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 09:47 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Sounds like you might like Irvine Fountain Valley or Huntington Beach in Orange County.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:02 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Malibu might be a good fit.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Bay Area. Pleasanton or Walnut Creek come to mind. Parts of Marin county. I’d avoid the City, Oakland and Richmond

Old 05-31-2020, 01:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Carmel and Monterey also come to mind.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:29 PM

301 posts, read 164,763 times
San Diego, Ca comes to mind so I am suggesting the following in no particular order:

Carlsbad
Del Mar
Encinitas
Coronado

If I had to decide and money was not an issue I would choose Carlsbad.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Ventura, Santa Barbara if you can afford it, Monterey if you like cooler weather.

The weather on the coast is great for seniors (and everyone). My older parents stay active by snowbirding between Florida and the Midwest, but they are still stuck indoors by sub-freezing temps or dangerous heat for weeks at a time. Plus the back and forth is hard on them.

They should join us in CA, but Fox News has poisoned their minds so they can't see anything beyond the caricature of California politics.

If I didn't need a job, I'd move to Santa Barbara. Great for families. Beautiful town. You can also get connections out of SBA if you don't want to schlep down to LAX and deal with that nightmare.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:44 PM

31 posts, read 18,208 times
Thanks for all the responses.

I’ve been to all the places mentioned except for Malibu.

Southern California was not as green as I would have hoped.

Is Bay Area greener? I was looking at some homes in Tiburon, Moss Beach, Stinson Beach, any opinions on these areas?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:24 AM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYourDuty View Post

Southern California was not as green as I would have hoped.

Is Bay Area greener? I was looking at some homes in Tiburon, Moss Beach, Stinson Beach, any opinions on these areas?
Lol, So Cal is not green because it is a desert. It was developed (and exists still) solely due to the water supplied via the Aqueduct and the Colorado River. Hence the annually repeated news cycles of drought/rain/mudslides (repeat ad nauseam).

Your desire for low guns, educated and well off pretty much say you are from the mink and manure crowd. Learjet liberals. You would be happiest in either Montecito outside Santa Barbara or in the Bay Area.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
San Diego, Ca comes to mind so I am suggesting the following in no particular order:

Carlsbad
Del Mar
Encinitas
Coronado

If I had to decide and money was not an issue I would choose Carlsbad.
how would you compare Carlsad to OC or even a place like Santa Monica?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California