Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2021, 04:59 AM

7 posts, read 7,873 times

Advertisements

I am recently separated from my spouse. We’ve been together almost 2 decades and he has been the primary breadwinner. We own our home (mortgage in his name only) and lived there seven years. I have no rental or mortgage history. I am desperate need of getting my own place. I have a part time job and can afford rent and good credit score. How does someone get a rental home/apartment without rental history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 09:59 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
So many questions.

Why aren't you staying in the house? Are you selling it? Seems strange if you've been together for 20 years that it's only him on the mortgage? Are you on the deed? Do you have a lawyer? It sounds like you need one.

Minor children?

If you have good credit and you're married with a mortgage (and you can prove it) it shouldn't matter that you don't have rental history. I was renting out my own house because I had left town for work and didn't know if/when I'd be moving back. No one cared about rental history or really about my mortgage. Just my credit score - the mortgage is on there anyway. If you have cash for deposits and can show income that's all most landlords care about. They just want their money and they want to be sure you're not going to trash the place.

Old 10-26-2021, 03:56 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Apartment communities (versus private landlords) care little about lack of rental history and lower credit scores. As long as you're not sporting a criminal record with felonies and don't have a pile of unsettled debt/collections, it's never a problem from my experience.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:04 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apartment communities (versus private landlords) care little about lack of rental history and lower credit scores. As long as you're not sporting a criminal record with felonies and don't have a pile of unsettled debt/collections, it's never a problem from my experience.
The apartment I rented in Baldwin Park from 2020-2021 was my first ever rental (owned a house for years prior to that -- similar situation, divorced, etc.) and my credit wasn't the greatest. The only thing that came out of that was a higher deposit than someone with rental history/great credit would have.

My advice: try to apply through Zillow. Fill out the one-time zillow app for like $30, and you can apply to as many units that accept zillow apps (you can filter this out, and there are TONS) per month. I guarantee you will find something decent.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM

210 posts, read 270,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybeautiful22 View Post
I am recently separated from my spouse. We’ve been together almost 2 decades and he has been the primary breadwinner. We own our home (mortgage in his name only) and lived there seven years. I have no rental or mortgage history. I am desperate need of getting my own place. I have a part time job and can afford rent and good credit score. How does someone get a rental home/apartment without rental history?
Have you spoken with an attorney? Florida is an equal distribution state and you are probably entitled to more financial support than you are aware of. I’d move myself right back in and speak with an attorney ASAP. Breadwinner or not, you have rights.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Have you spoken with an attorney? Florida is an equal distribution state and you are probably entitled to more financial support than you are aware of. I’d move myself right back in and speak with an attorney ASAP. Breadwinner or not, you have rights.

I agree and strongly urge you to know where you stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando