Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 03:18 AM

775 posts, read 775,812 times

Advertisements

We just installed a new pool with a very quiet pump, variable speed. Our neighbor has been complaining about noise, even though it is located on our side of his garage, away from their living area. We notified them before building and only run it during the day due to solar heating. He has complained about the noise, going so far as enter our yard to speak with our spa guy to complain, and leaving pool pump insulating info on our doorstep. We deliberately chose the quietest pump we could get so it would not be a nuisance. Today he complained because he could hear it in his yard during the day. Previously he complained because it was keeping them awake at night. This is a brand new system which we have serviced every week. It’s as quiet as they get. It’s not a case of poor maintenance or an old, loud system. We are presently trying to find a suitable insulator for the pump motor that will not overheat it. Today he mentioned it again and had erected an obnoxious styrofoam block on his side of the common wall. He also said he could turn up his stereo amp to drown it out. While I told him we were working on it, I reminded him of fire wood and trash he has piled against his house on the side bordering ours which is a fire and pest hazard, which does violate code. Then he got nasty. We have lived here five years and have had no issues with neighbors, in fact, we exchange gifts at Christmas and help each other out with things around the neighborhood. I’m afraid I finally told him he was being over the top and walked away. We are not violating any codes and everything is permitted and professionally installed, and honestly want to alleviate any nuisance. He has otherwise been a reasonable neighbor, sharing fruit and eggs with us, but now I’m not sure. We are fully aware of his concerns and are not ignoring them. While it seems that we are trying to fix a problem that likely exists in his own head, how do we deal with his other intrusions? Am worried that anything we are able to reasonably do will not be enough. No HOA. Never encountered this before and we have lived here over 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 03:23 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Tell him to pound sand. You might try a home made cover out of plywood but if too small will let it over heat. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:16 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I've never heard of someone complaining about a pool pump. Almost every single family house here has one lol.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:14 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
My neighbors' pool pumps both in Tampa and Maui make lots of noise, like a rumbling noise. Same goes for the pool heaters. [I do not have a pool.]

In addition:

My Tampa neighbors on both sides both have standby generators that make lots of noise when they recharge several times a week. [I do not have a generator.]

Then there's the noise from the mosquito spraying services, the landscaper leaf blowers, construction noises, airplane noises, kids screaming, dogs barking, etc. My Maui neighbor likes to blast yacht rock from his outdoor sound system. If I wanna go water my orchids, I have to listen to Kenny Loggins circa 1971.

Your neighbor is SOL. If you want quiet, neither Florida nor Maui are the place. Or he needs to find himself an HOA subdivision.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:56 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I can totally sympathize with your neighbor. Some people (like me) are hypersensitive to noise. Some years ago our neighbors put in this chintzy sand pool with a vinyl liner a real cheapo job. We had this fantastic back yard which we had spent a fortune landscaping. They put this poll pump in the noise bothered me to no end and I would up rarely going out into the yard. We live in Florida now and have a pool. When we needed a new pump we got a variable speed ultra quiet one. The pool equipment is surrounded by a 3 foot tall concrete and stucco was which really absorbs the noise plus we added a solid wooden door. You can barely hear it outside of the concrete wall. The wall was always here but it certainly absorbs the sound.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:42 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I can totally sympathize with your neighbor. Some people (like me) are hypersensitive to noise. Some years ago our neighbors put in this chintzy sand pool with a vinyl liner a real cheapo job. We had this fantastic back yard which we had spent a fortune landscaping. They put this poll pump in the noise bothered me to no end and I would up rarely going out into the yard. We live in Florida now and have a pool. When we needed a new pump we got a variable speed ultra quiet one. The pool equipment is surrounded by a 3 foot tall concrete and stucco was which really absorbs the noise plus we added a solid wooden door. You can barely hear it outside of the concrete wall. The wall was always here but it certainly absorbs the sound.
They have earplugs used for shooting that min loud noise. Try em. Basic normal every day things can't be controlled. We had a neighbor that complained about running water and a hair dryer cause we had to get to work. Starting your car can't be controlled. Flushing a toilet same thing.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
We just installed a new pool with a very quiet pump, variable speed. Our neighbor has been complaining about noise, even though it is located on our side of his garage, away from their living area. We notified them before building and only run it during the day due to solar heating. He has complained about the noise, going so far as enter our yard to speak with our spa guy to complain, and leaving pool pump insulating info on our doorstep. We deliberately chose the quietest pump we could get so it would not be a nuisance. Today he complained because he could hear it in his yard during the day. Previously he complained because it was keeping them awake at night. This is a brand new system which we have serviced every week. It’s as quiet as they get. It’s not a case of poor maintenance or an old, loud system. We are presently trying to find a suitable insulator for the pump motor that will not overheat it. Today he mentioned it again and had erected an obnoxious styrofoam block on his side of the common wall. He also said he could turn up his stereo amp to drown it out. While I told him we were working on it, I reminded him of fire wood and trash he has piled against his house on the side bordering ours which is a fire and pest hazard, which does violate code. Then he got nasty. We have lived here five years and have had no issues with neighbors, in fact, we exchange gifts at Christmas and help each other out with things around the neighborhood. I’m afraid I finally told him he was being over the top and walked away. We are not violating any codes and everything is permitted and professionally installed, and honestly want to alleviate any nuisance. He has otherwise been a reasonable neighbor, sharing fruit and eggs with us, but now I’m not sure. We are fully aware of his concerns and are not ignoring them. While it seems that we are trying to fix a problem that likely exists in his own head, how do we deal with his other intrusions? Am worried that anything we are able to reasonably do will not be enough. No HOA. Never encountered this before and we have lived here over 25 years.
The whole thing makes it sound like you are the perfect neighbor, never doing anything wrong, ever, and that this neighbor, who has been fine up until now and apparently has hens (and at least one rooster) that makes him "reasonable" until you got a pool pump.

Although - he hasn't been fine up until now, because of the firewood and trash.

I dunno - it just seems like you're not telling the whole story. Something is missing. Also, have you been there for five years or over 25 years?

Old 05-21-2023, 12:30 AM

Yes, we are considerate neighbors. No one is perfect. Five years at this home, 25 in this city.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:03 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
How close is your pool pump to the property line?

You can download a decibel meter on your phone and get a "close enough" reading of the decibels from 3 ft. from the pump and then from the fence. A normal conversation is 60dB.The background noise inside the average house is around 40dB. If you're pump is putting out over 50-55 dB at the property line you should probably consider screening it. You don't need to full enclose it. Just put some kind of solid fencing between it and the property line that enough of the sound gets deflected. Some species of shrubs and clumping bamboo are also great sound screens.

But if your pump is below 50dB at the property line tell that dude to get lost.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
How close is your pool pump to the property line?

You can download a decibel meter on your phone and get a "close enough" reading of the decibels from 3 ft. from the pump and then from the fence. A normal conversation is 60dB.The background noise inside the average house is around 40dB. If you're pump is putting out over 50-55 dB at the property line you should probably consider screening it. You don't need to full enclose it. Just put some kind of solid fencing between it and the property line that enough of the sound gets deflected. Some species of shrubs and clumping bamboo are also great sound screens.

But if your pump is below 50dB at the property line tell that dude to get lost.
Thank! There is already a cinder block wall between us and the neighbor. The pump is low to the ground. We are trying to find a motor cover that won’t overhear the motor but in the meantime he has placed three styrofoam insulator on his side which stick up about three feet.

Also today we found our solar heater switched off. We didn’t see who turned it off but it’s back on with a lock on the control box, the timer box and our gate. I’d be concerned if he had come over here and turned off our solar heating but no way to prove it.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: