Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2023, 09:37 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times

Advertisements

A few of us at work were talking about whether or not Celebration will incorporate. I've heard that the pursuit these days is more serious than in times past as the community approaches buildout.

https://www.theledger.com/story/news...n/25894202007/

Around late 2018 into early 2019 I distinctly remember seeing signs in the Orange County neighborhoods west of UCF (around University and Dean Rd.) and they said something like "it's time for our own city" suggesting that they incorporate because of a lack of services and attention from the County.

I went to check if that's still a thing people there were pushing for, expecting to find a website or social media page, but can't find anything online about it. Does anyone else remember this or know more about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 09:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
I remember it was thing about 10 years ago and they wanted the city to be named “innovation”, and included basically the whole UCF/Waterford lakes/Lake Nona corridor east of the 417.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I remember it was thing about 10 years ago and they wanted the city to be named “innovation”, and included basically the whole UCF/Waterford lakes/Lake Nona corridor east of the 417.
Wild. That would've been huge geographically and politically. Any idea why it fizzled?

Old 06-25-2023, 09:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Interesting.

I lived in that area for years. I doubt the county would've allowed it to happen because there's too much tax revenue there to give up.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:57 AM

493 posts, read 519,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Interesting.

I lived in that area for years. I doubt the county would've allowed it to happen because there's too much tax revenue there to give up.
This.

The county also never connected East Orlando to Lake Nona with Alafaya. They are 2 separate regions that don't share much in common and are hard to travel to without using 417.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Interesting.

It doesn't work like that.

When you get annexed you don't stop paying taxes to the County. You pay additional taxes because of the extra services you receive. You can see this pretty clearly on the property appraiser's website. There are a couple of County enclaves along the border of Winter Park and Orlando where similar houses right next to each other can have a difference of a few hundred to $12,000 in their tax bill.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
This.

The county also never connected East Orlando to Lake Nona with Alafaya. They are 2 separate regions that don't share much in common and are hard to travel to without using 417.
Yes, agree that they're two separate regions. Doesn't feel like the same place once you cross 408. The signs I saw were in the vicinity of University & Hall Rd/Dean Rd. and I didn't get the impression that it was going to stretch down to Lake Nona. Not saying that wasn't the plan - I just never found out much about it.

As for the connection - it's Innovation Way (which is built) to Sunbridge Parkway which is in the engineering phase. https://www.orangecountyfl.net/Traff...geParkway.aspx
The other part is Dowden Rd., part of which is already built, and will eventually connect with Innovation Way/Sunbridge Parkway.

You can see the planning for it in the seemingly over-engineered exit ramps on 528 at Innovation Way. It's been the plan for 15-20 years to have a new toll road/expressway out there but no one lives out there yet. The roads get paid for through impact fees so they get built as the area develops. It looks like it will be built in phases like Poinciana Parkway.

That's all great for the north/south but the city also owns the rail spur through there that connects to Sunrail just south of the airport. A lot of squandered opportunities back there so far especially in the Storey Park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando