Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 09:30 PM

140 posts, read 123,023 times

Advertisements

Sad to say that my family have never been to Florida but it has been and still is one of the states I would like to retire to, mostly for tax reasons

We have two kids, 10 and 3 and will be moving around December 2024 so we will be traveling next year and having a good look around various places

A long list of wants and needs

Definitely good schools for the kids. My son is currently in 4th grade and attends our Church school. A religious school is not a necessity but will definitely consider

He’s a competitive swimmer and triathlete. We definitely want a good swim club and I’ve already been in touch with the coach at SLAP triathlon club in the Clermont area

Good cycling areas/paths/tracks would be an added bonus

The wife is Filipina so she would like to have some Filipina neighbors/restaurants/ stores near by. We are also partial to good Korean food
She is also a fully qualified Classical Pilates instructor and looking to go back to work when we move and would like to get her own studio if Clermont is a good place to open a studio/small business

Healthcare. I will be carrying healthcare from work and my 3yr old daughter does have some health issues, nothing too serious, so good children’s hospitals/ doctors would be great to have close by

I will likely be the chauffeur/ shopper/driver/ part time worker that I’ve always dreamed about so I’m easy to please

Are the private schools in the Clermont area really that much better than the public schools?
Windermere
Montverde
Central Florida Prep

I want my son challenged at school but I also want him to enjoy it and also schools with good sports fact for swimming and X/Country would be a bonus

Most importantly - As an ex born and bred Northern Ireland guy I would like a great fish and chip restaurant/ carry out in the area

Will definitely consider other areas in the neighboring the are recommended and safe

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 08:19 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
Sad to say that my family have never been to Florida but it has been and still is one of the states I would like to retire to, mostly for tax reasons

We have two kids, 10 and 3 and will be moving around December 2024 so we will be traveling next year and having a good look around various places

Definitely good schools for the kids. My son is currently in 4th grade and attends our Church school. A religious school is not a necessity but will definitely consider

He’s a competitive swimmer and triathlete. We definitely want a good swim club and I’ve already been in touch with the coach at SLAP triathlon club in the Clermont area

The wife is Filipina so she would like to have some Filipina neighbors/restaurants/ stores near by. We are also partial to good Korean food
She is also a fully qualified Classical Pilates instructor and looking to go back to work when we move and would like to get her own studio if Clermont is a good place to open a studio/small business

Healthcare. I will be carrying healthcare from work and my 3yr old daughter does have some health issues, nothing too serious, so good children’s hospitals/ doctors would be great to have close by

I will likely be the chauffeur/ shopper/driver/ part time worker that I’ve always dreamed about so I’m easy to please

Are the private schools in the Clermont area really that much better than the public schools?
Windermere
Montverde
Central Florida Prep

I want my son challenged at school but I also want him to enjoy it and also schools with good sports fact for swimming and X/Country would be a bonus

Most importantly - As an ex born and bred Northern Ireland guy I would like a great fish and chip restaurant/ carry out in the area

Will definitely consider other areas in the neighboring the are recommended and safe

Thank you
Re: Private schools: A MAJOR YES!!!!!!!!!!! Windermere and Montverde are terrific schools. The same can't be said for public schools in general, and Clermont is in Lake County to make things worse.

Also consider Lake Highland Prep in Orlando. It's only about 30 minutes from Clermont.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
FWIW - most Filipinos in the region are in Orange County (around 11,000) by far the largest concentration is in Meadow Woods and in neighboring Buena Ventura Lakes in Osceola County. After that is Eastwood/Avalon Park which is probably more your speed - Timber Creek is one of the best Central Florida high schools. There's another smaller enclave along the Cady Way Trail as it hooks south of Baldwin Park (I live around the corner from here and have no idea what this neighborhood is called) but the homes are older/smaller so maybe Baldwin Park itself?

The asian groceries and restaurants are mostly on East Colonial between Mills and Primrose or on West Colonial between John Young Parkway and Kirkman and this is where you'll see what feels like most of Asian Orlando on the weekends. Specifically Filipino places like Kaya, Sampaguita, Hangry Dobo, Jollibee, etc. are either right at Mills/Colonial (aka Mills/50) or further east down Colonial.

Clermont is nice and great for retirement but for a 10 year old who will soon be a teenager it's not central to much and quite far from most. I know nothing about the youth triathlon but is that the only club in the area? Otherwise plenty of swim clubs/teams on the east side of town. Also might be worth checking out Winter Garden/Windermere or "Wintermere" as the schools are good and it's closer to civilization without being far from Clermont.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:07 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:

Windermere
Montverde
Central Florida Prep

Thank you
Greetings!

Clermont wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list based on what you wrote. I think for one, your wife would feel out of place. I'm half Asian myself, but most Westerners think I'm Asian and I feel like I'm in a small White country town when I'm in Clermont. Nothing wrong with that, but your Asian wife will probably have a hard time feeling a sense of community unless you already live in that kind of town. It's also just nothing special... mostly chain restaurants and fast food with a couple Taquerias.

I will give you a long list of areas to check out when you visit and then if you like any of them, feel free to ask specific questions.

-Baldwin Park
-Thornton Park
-College Park
-Winter Park
-Maitland
-Dr. Phillips
-Windermere (downtown area, not 535)
-Gotha

Regarding public vs private schools... private is better for sure. I'd recommend Lake Highland Prep. Top education, good sports, and fairly diverse student population for private.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:37 PM

Thank you all for the great and very informative replies. I had only spoken to one person I knew on a triathlon forum and he highly recommended Clermont for triathlon training and that it was a growing town with the National triathlon training center right in the heart of the town

And while somewhere like that would be great for my son there is that old saying of “Happy wife, happy life” which is very important. We currently live in Carlsbad in San Diego county and my wife who has been here for 15 years ago does feel a little left out and isolated at times and while she agreed to move, she did want somewhere with a Filipino community

Thanks again

Old 12-14-2023, 09:57 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the great and very informative replies. I had only spoken to one person I knew on a triathlon forum and he highly recommended Clermont for triathlon training and that it was a growing town with the National triathlon training center right in the heart of the town

And while somewhere like that would be great for my son there is that old saying of “Happy wife, happy life” which is very important. We currently live in Carlsbad in San Diego county and my wife who has been here for 15 years ago does feel a little left out and isolated at times and while she agreed to move, she did want somewhere with a Filipino community

Thanks again
If she feels isolated at times in Carlsbad, she will feel really isolated in Clermont. Orlando has a lot of great areas though. I think you all will enjoy your life here. We moved from San Francisco at the start of 2016 and still love it today. It's actually never been better in our opinions. I just wouldn't recommend Clermont for your family. It's an easy drive to Clermont via 408.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:31 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:

Thanks again
So, the facility in Clermont is impressive, yes.
However, I'll echo what's been said, in that you might not want to actually live there, for all of the reasons listed above, and more.

Clermont is an easy ~30 minute drive via expressways from the core parts of Orlando, so driving back and forth for training, etc., wouldn't be bad at all.
Highly recommend the areas already mentioned too, particularly this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
There's another smaller enclave along the Cady Way Trail as it hooks south of Baldwin Park (I live around the corner from here and have no idea what this neighborhood is called) but the homes are older/smaller so maybe Baldwin Park itself?

Old 12-15-2023, 10:09 AM

Thanks again

The issue is we would prefer to not have to drive 30-40 mins every day of the week to swim practice. They don’t normally end until 7 - 7.30 which means by the time you get home it’s after 8pm with homework’s and feeding to do it makes for a long day for everyone and I certainly don’t want to do it if traffic is bad. We had enough of those issues in the Bay Area. Leaving 45 mins early to go 5 miles just in case traffic was bad

Old 12-15-2023, 09:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Thanks again

The issue is we would prefer to not have to drive 30-40 mins every day of the week to swim practice. They don’t normally end until 7 - 7.30 which means by the time you get home it’s after 8pm with homework’s and feeding to do it makes for a long day for everyone and I certainly don’t want to do it if traffic is bad. We had enough of those issues in the Bay Area. Leaving 45 mins early to go 5 miles just in case traffic was bad
Have you looked into other areas to train? There are plenty of other places to swim in the Orlando area. Personally I would not suggest Clermont if being in a multicultural community/area with a variety of restaurants, especially Filipino, is important. As others have said, the Mills 50 area has a ton of Filipino restaurants, recently Kaya hosted a small Filipino festival. Zips 32803, 32804, and 32801 would be good areas to look at: Thornton Park, Lake Eola Heights, Park Lake Highland, Orwin Manor, College Park, Delaney Park, etc.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:16 AM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
I have 3 kids at lake highland. We have one of the best aquatics facilities in central Florida. Plenty of the schools around have competitive swim and track. There is no shortage of facilities for athletics in Florida. Mine are all travel soccer players and practice in 3 different counties, I am VERY familiar of the time commitment for training.

I think you’ve gotten honest and helpful feedback about why Clermont doesn’t work. I have been in winter park for 12 years and previously in lake eola. I prefer being central (near downtown Orlando) for what it offers for my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando