Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Orlando area and will be making a few visits before making any decisions. Wife will be working in Winter Park I work from home. 2 Kids that are school age 5 and 11. We are looking for recommendations for areas to look.

house $300-350K
good school district
near parks (not amusement)
friendly neighbors (we have some here)
probably Eastside (surfing)
shopping

I am asking:

1. where not to look so if you know an area not to look definitely let me know.

2. If you were starting fresh in Orlando and you know what you know now where would you look?

I really appreciate this forum and all of the loyal posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM

12 posts, read 52,474 times
Hi Mov2Orl,
Let me give you a summary, I do not know anything about Jax. I lived in Miami from 90 to 92, then in 2004 to 2006 before moving to Upstate NY. However, because I am fighting the custody of my son in Orlando, I requested a transfer to Orlando which I was granted without any problem and been here since July. Well let me warn you and advise that I can not wait to return to Upstate NY. There is no respect on the roads in ORL, the tolls do not make sense, the schools OMG they are worth $0.00 (sorry teachers), it's just ... I can not even think while I'm typing... Oh, and I am still waiting for a decision from the court in regards to a custody battle, have spent over 10K on lawyers and still don't have my son and there is no guarantees...

Mov2Orl, I am being very honest and the only way I learned was with experience, I am over 40 and have a very good job in a Fortune 100 Co for 15 years, but I had no other choice than to move to ORL because I love my son.

Good luck, if you need additional advice, please do not hesitate to ask...

Last edited by RelocatorNYtoFL; 09-18-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-19-2008, 05:44 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Oviedo would be an excellent choice for you.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Winter Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, Colonial Towne and Delaney Park for a short commute for your wife. In order for you to stay closer to the beach I would reccomend Oviedo, Waterford Lakes or Avalon. Of course that would create a commute for your wife but its the best compromise for being closest to the water without being too far from work. In all honestly though, staying closer to your wife's work in the downtown area will only add about 30 minutes to your drive to the beach.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I moved to Orlando from Jax a few months ago. I never thought I would say that I missed Jax....but I do. I guess I'm just more used to it and consider it home. I think the traffic here is much more congested, but it is easier to find your way around initially. The downtown is much easier to navigate as well. It is also hotter and more humid without the beach breeze that you get in many of the Jax areas.

I don't have kids in school, but I would agree with the above posters about the area you would be most happiest with in regard to your school zoning. There is a fabulous science museum here for your family to enjoy. It is much bigger than the MOSH located in downtown Jax. It is nice to do something beyond theme parks.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:25 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Default It`s not that bad here

Winter park, oviedo, winter springs would be some good choices.

Orlando is not all that bad some people just like to carry on about how crappy it is here...Please...If you are forced to live somewhere then ok I can understand but too many are down on this town all the time.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 PM

90 posts, read 193,605 times
"I am asking:

1. where not to look so if you know an area not to look definitely let me know.

2. If you were starting fresh in Orlando and you know what you know now where would you look?"

1. i'd stay away from east orlando/orange county other than waterford lakes and avalon pk areas. oviedo and winter springs are good too. stay away from anything off university, goldenrod, semoran, etc in east orlando... stay away from pine hills, parramore areas. also, on the west side, stay away from metrowest.

2. oviedo, winter springs first choices... then avalon park, waterford lakes areas

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM

90 posts, read 193,605 times
"There is no respect on the roads in ORL"

this is very accurate, i hate driving in orlando. it is a different world here now, compared to just 10 yrs ago. people moved in and driving got worse.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
Well, Since your wife will be working in winter park, your looking for great schools for your children, near parks, and shopping, (can't comment on friendly neighbors....that's from house to house, and it takes two people to be friendly), I'd say Winter Park itself should be your first choice. I'd try to stay in the 32789 zip and the Brookshire heights neighborhood/area near Lakemont Dr. The closer to Park Ave the better, though in Winter Park in your price range you may be looking more in the neighborhood mentioned above. Winter Park isn't that accessable from major highways in the area (depending where in WP she's working) so if commute for her is a big issue WP really is going to be the place to be for you.

Like others said above as well. I highly recommend Oviedo and Winter Springs for their schools, trails and parks throughout the area. And I personally live in the Waterford Lakes area. Avalon Park is a maybe, they do have highly rated schools but the access isn't that great, and the closer to Hwy 50 you get the less desireable it gets. You will certainly be able to get more house for your money in these area's compared to Winter Park.

One more suggestion would be Lake Mary, more north of all all the area's mentioned, and your wife would have to deal with I-4 traffic, but the area is gorgeous with trails and parks everywhere. A rated schools, plenty of shopping, and just an overall nice place to live.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
I live in east orange and it`s not all bad here, I live in Bonneville and although it`s not some rich upper class neighborhood it has a A rated Elementary school and it`s is not a transient community like some of the other newer areas.

It`s one of those everyone knows everyone neighborhoods.

In the back on lake price has some more expensive homes on a lake those will run you higher but it`s a nice area back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando