Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 39,365 times

Advertisements

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to read my post. As the title suggests, I'm looking for a job to anchor my relocation to the greater Orlando area.

My background: Graduated from Rollins college with a BA in Environmental Studies. I used the degree in the conservation field as a environmental educator,wildlife technician and was involved with wetland mitigation. This took place on the Chesapeake bay watershed.

I am a graduate of the Outward Bound Leadership Development Program and actually was stuck in the Blizzard of the Century in the Smoky Mountains during the program.

After completion of the program, I moved South to warmer climes to pursue my dream of running a business as a Charter captain. I started out mating on a boat to get the hours required for my captain's License and scraped up the funds for a skiff. Got my skiff.learned my water over the course of a year or so while working in a fly fishing shop. This all took place in SW FL. I decided to take a break from the profession after about 10 years to see what else was going on in the world outside the confines of my boat. Truthfully, I was also having doubts about the water quality in my area being able to support my livelihood over the long haul.

I took some time off and unfortunately had a bad accident which left me unable to walk for a year. After several surgeries,and lots of rehabilitation, I was back in action. It took overall, about three years before I felt like i was on solid ground again and my new ankle functioned without constant aches and pains.

During this period, I became a shallow water kayak fishing enthusiast and reignited the fire that is my love for the sport of angling. I also worked for a big box store outdoor retailer in the Fly shop section to help finance my endeavors.

I'm looking for a full time job working in a Fly or kayak shop. I may be going back to school at nights so working at night is out. I'm open to Conservation work as well.

Any leads would be appreciated. I'm good with people, a great salesman and have some great customer service skills. The economy and job market is not so great right now, but there is no better time to start on this than right now.

Thanks and be well-Steve

Last edited by capthooked; 10-16-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: change a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,184 times
Capt.-- First, good luck to you, you have been thru so much. You may already have checked there but Bass Pro Shop has a huge store in Festival Bay up on International Drive, the end close to the Turnpike exit from I 4. We were in there like 2 weeks ago and everytime I go the parking lot is full, I think there doesn't seem to be a recession for boys and their toys if you know what I mean. Now the only other similar store I know of is Gandy (Competitor to Bass Pro) and it is also a similar large store located right when you get off I 4 at the Lake Mary/Healthrow exit, stay to the right and you will see it back behind I think a Wendy's and a gas station. Either would be lucky to get someone like you with actual outdoor experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando