Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 18,147 times

Advertisements

I am currently going to Valencia CC and majoring in Cardivascular tech. but I have a drug and domestic violence charge on my criminal background. I was not convicted of either charge and both were adjudicated with held and it happened 10 years ago. I really want to go into the health field but am not sure if I will be able to.....please help with some suggestions????????

p.s. should I be thinking of a new carrer choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 PM

265 posts, read 994,186 times
Aqutlove,
I am not sure about Cardiovasular techs, but I would imagine they are governed by a similar body such as the one who governs Nursing. The Fl. Nursing license agency I think is in Jacksonville. You need to find the number for what governing body controls licensure for card. techs. and contact them. They would be the only ones who know whether your past indiscretions would be a liability. So find them and contact them. Lastly you should be able to ask any one of your cardio. tech instructors. Good Luck, I would think that the 10 years that have passed and the fact you were not convicted should play to your favor. Good Luck

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
Aqutlove,
I am not sure about Cardiovasular techs, but I would imagine they are governed by a similar body such as the one who governs Nursing. The Fl. Nursing license agency I think is in Jacksonville. You need to find the number for what governing body controls licensure for card. techs. and contact them. They would be the only ones who know whether your past indiscretions would be a liability. So find them and contact them. Lastly you should be able to ask any one of your cardio. tech instructors. Good Luck, I would think that the 10 years that have passed and the fact you were not convicted should play to your favor. Good Luck
Thanks alot!!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 54,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqutlove View Post
I am currently going to Valencia CC and majoring in Cardivascular tech. but I have a drug and domestic violence charge on my criminal background. I was not convicted of either charge and both were adjudicated with held and it happened 10 years ago. I really want to go into the health field but am not sure if I will be able to.....please help with some suggestions????????

u r screwed!

colleges in orlando are super full and they have a very selective process VCC for exaple is overcrowded with students in almost all their campus because the pop in orlando is too much

i worked at the VCC registration and like the nursing program, for example require 10 year clean record (like you expunge your record after 10 years)

go for something else like construction tech or something like that these companies are used to illegal people and people with criminal records

well construction is good IF you legally can get a job instead of illegal aliens illegals work for 1/2 your price

Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
I would not let a response like the above deter you from your dreams. I guess they didn't really read your post as you stated it was indeed 10 years ago. If you are hard working and have good grades and you don't mind being on a wait list I would go for it. I went to nursing school in Central Fl. and I heard all about the waiting list and how it wood take forever etc. I got in after waiting only one semester. Granted I worked hard and struggled for those A's. I was told there were over 1000 applicants for 70-80 slots but it happened for me and it can happen for you. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 54,694 times
Red face oops

oh your right

if your record is expunged you should be ok

i used to work for vcc registration - in nursing program for example if you have a criminal record and is visible (meaning not expunged) then you will be turned down

go expunge your record - go to vcc and get the program info and read for yourself - an open criminal record will deny your entry into the vcc program

believe me vcc has plenty of students - YOU need to fit their profile

valenciacc.edu

Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 47,711 times
Hey Health Care Guy,

The co. I work for shall remain anonymous but I play a role in the processing of background checks for Health Care employment, in fact our company has recently signed a contract with the state of florida to provide state wide processing. YOU WERE NOT CONVICTED. YOU CANNOT EXPUNGED SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ON YOUR RECORD TO BEGIN WITH. Sorry for the rude caps, just thought I'd get you the happy news asap. And without giving much more detail, the process in which they clear you for employment does not check your background the way you think it does, (example 10-15 years), there is no year max/min as most think. You have a record, you have a record. Innocent and until proven guilty remember?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,736 times
Default Background Checks...

I too am interetsed in going into the health care field. I have a clean record here in FL but in NC where I am from I have 2 counts of Felony Embezzlement on my record. Would this affect my going into the health care field here in FL?? I have lived here little over 7 years. My record here in Fl i clean which I think of as a new start.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks, Creed

Old 04-10-2007, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqutlove View Post

You are lucky your trouble was ten years ago. All you have to do is get an expungement. Call your state bar association and ask if there is an attorney in your area who specializes in expungement. Here we have one who does it for a flat fee of $80.00. The person who said you don't need an expungement if you were not convicted is wrong. There is a difference between having a charge dismissed and an arrest record expunged (erased). You may not have been convicted but the arrests will still show unless you file the motion to have them "sealed and set aside" as if it never happened.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Thanx!

Thank you for responding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestgirl View Post
You are lucky your trouble was ten years ago. All you have to do is get an expungement. Call your state bar association and ask if there is an attorney in your area who specializes in expungement. Here we have one who does it for a flat fee of $80.00. The person who said you don't need an expungement if you were not convicted is wrong. There is a difference between having a charge dismissed and an arrest record expunged (erased). You may not have been convicted but the arrests will still show unless you file the motion to have them "sealed and set aside" as if it never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: