Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 145,495 times

Advertisements

We have been toying with the idea of taking the Auto Train from Sanford to Virginia, and then driving the rest of trip to Boston. Has anyone taken this excursion, and any pro's and con's would be appreciated. Do they provide actual sleeper cars or is it all coach type seating. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Here's some good information on it:
On Track On Line - Amtrak Auto Train Tips Intro

I looked it up because I didn't even know it was available. What a great vacation idea. Thanks for your post.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnw005 View Post
We have been toying with the idea of taking the Auto Train from Sanford to Virginia, and then driving the rest of trip to Boston. Has anyone taken this excursion, and any pro's and con's would be appreciated. Do they provide actual sleeper cars or is it all coach type seating. THANKS
I used the Auto train before and was pleased. You can get a sleeper but they are expensive(costs extra) and small and not worth the cost imho. I just did the coach and thought it was pretty cool. They serve you a meal that is included in the price of the ticket. The meal was okay and they even served wine with it (although it is was really cheapo wine). You can also buy alcohol on the train and there is a small smoking room for those who want to smoke. There is a lounge to play cards or just hang out.

The train is safe and has a lot of older snowbirds but it is a long boring ride. The auto train is a great way to save wear and tear on your vehicle though. It leaves at 4PM Sanford/Lorton and usually hits Sanford/Lorton at around 9 AM. You have to wait until your car is unloaded from the train which could take a couple hours depending on where your car is at. You also have to arrive early so they can load your car.

I'd rather just drive since it doesn't eliminate the horrible Washington DC traffic which is the worst part of the Northeast to Florida or vice versa travel imho.

pros
saves wear and tear on your car
relax and enjoy the scenery
cheap if you don't get a sleeper
sleep and arrive at your destination the next morning
serves a meal
sells alcohol
safe
no transfers
families are usually seated in a family section of the train (away from the adults with no children and the elderly)
Lorton terminal is nice

cons
long boring trip
hard to sleep in the uncomfortable seats
noisy drunk people walking by your seat at night
noisy train doors opening and closing
driving yourself is much faster
driving yourself is cheaper
tiny tiny bathrooms
trains are bumpy
Sanford terminal is run down

ps- try to get a seat away from the train doors (it is hard to sleep as people keep going through them at night)

-bring sleeping pills(prescription or Tylenol PM) or a bottle of liquor (their alcohol is overpriced) to help you sleep at night.

All in all I would do it again if I wanted to save wear and tear on my car but I prefer to just drive I-95 myself since it is not bad once you are away from Baltimore/ Wash DC area. Basically it is just a really long regular train that takes your car with you. If you rode a regular train before you know what to expect. It is nothing special and it is NOT as great as Amtrak makes it out to be. They really way over-hype the auto train. I'd rate the experience 7/10- average.

Hope this helps.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 01-15-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I don't believe there is a smoking car any longer. I think the entire Amtrak system is now non-smoking.

Auto-train is great--when it doesn't get delayed.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't believe there is a smoking car any longer. I think the entire Amtrak system is now non-smoking.

Auto-train is great--when it doesn't get delayed.
It was a very small enclosed room on the bottom level just on the auto train. No other Amtrak train allows smoking.

Their site still shows that it is available on the auto trains but they could have ended it.
Amtrak - Traveling With Amtrak - Onboard - Smoking Onboard

Old 01-15-2009, 06:47 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Auto train is GREAT idea! When we moved from Fairfax, VA to Orlando we took the auto train and it took so much stress off of us. It was a 17 hour ride and we got to Sanford early. The food was good and it was a fun trip. Of course we didn't sleep all that well, because it was bumpy at times, but it was much better than driving. I most definitely recommend it!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 35,961 times
Hi We took the auto train a few years ago..The great thing about it is that your car is all packed, no need to carry luggage around. We had coach seats, I found them comfortable, husband didn't. Meals were good and the staff was very nice. The train was really empty..I think it was about the beginning of October.. Lakeland Yankee has given good info. We have also driven from NJ to Orlando, liked the ride until we hit bad weather coming home...This year we took Amtrak passenger train from Newark to Orlando..We had a roomette, yes, it is expensive, but all your meals are included. Room is very small. I would recommend the auto train because you are going all the way to Boston, that would be an long drive from Florida. The auto train is a 17hr trip, then you would have another 8 or so hours to Boston.
Have a good trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando