Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM

58 posts, read 228,149 times

Advertisements

Has anyone found a job in Orlando recently ? I am still planning on relocating to orlando this summer but i am having quite a hard time finding a job. I have been sending out my resume like crazy and i never get a response. Although i have enough savings to live off of for a few months should i just make that move anyway ? I was also told that when you have an out of state address the just toss your resume to the side and hire locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Do you include a cover letter with your resume stating what your intent is?

With the number of people out of work you have to understand there is plenty of local competition.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
What field are you looking in?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Canarsie girl do not move to Orlando without a secure job. The unemployment rate in Orange County is now over 8% with close to tens of thousands currently unemployed.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
It is really tough for job seekers out here in C. Florida....The only field that seems to be hiring is in Health care.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie girl View Post
Has anyone found a job in Orlando recently ? I am still planning on relocating to orlando this summer but i am having quite a hard time finding a job. I have been sending out my resume like crazy and i never get a response. Although i have enough savings to live off of for a few months should i just make that move anyway ? I was also told that when you have an out of state address the just toss your resume to the side and hire locals.
If you do plan on moving out here, you best plan of attack is to visit some of the numerous job fair events held in Orlando. I was a recruiter myself and to be honest with you, resumes are not the most effective way to apply for a job. Especially if you don't have highly specialized skills.

With job fairs, your chances of making a lasting impression is much greater. Most importantly, plan and prepare for your job fair. Don't just attend one. Make sure you are dressed appropriately, have plenty of resumes and prepare your elevator speech.
You can find a complete job fair list along with tips on how to shine at the event on orlandojobfairlistings.com

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Sorry but people I have spoken to who go to job fairs leave them very dissapointed and this has also been shown on the news.

One of the main issues is that employers who aren't currently hiring attend these fairs, or employers who only have a handful of positions for the hundreds who attend.

Yahoo has several videos online of job fairs all over the country of people attending them and leaving with no leads.

Her best plan of attack is staying put unless she has a job lined up or at least a years savings set aside.

Since she never came back on here, hopefully she realized it would be a mistake.

To move anywhere in the country right now unless you are an RN without a job lined up or substantial savings that you don't mind depleting, would be very foolish.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Job fairs can work if you are looking for hospitality/hourly/retail type jobs. Otherwise, I agree they aren't the best use of your time.

Local professional networking events have proven to be valuable to sevearl job seekers I know, and that might be a good path to follow.

There are jobs here, but they are few and far between unless you've got a background in health care or retail/hospitality.

The real estate market is picking up, and several mortgage companies are looking for contract workers, but they really want people withe xperience at least in a related profession.

I would not move here without savings or a job lined up.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 PM

I wouldn't either. I think some people look out the window on a cold wintery day and get the idea to move to a warmer climate.

Like the truck driver from NY, but they have no game plan.

There are much worse things in life than cold weather.

Like moving somewhere and seeing your savings being depleted and no job in sight.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM

58 posts, read 228,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Job fairs can work if you are looking for hospitality/hourly/retail type jobs. Otherwise, I agree they aren't the best use of your time.

Local professional networking events have proven to be valuable to sevearl job seekers I know, and that might be a good path to follow.

There are jobs here, but they are few and far between unless you've got a background in health care or retail/hospitality.

The real estate market is picking up, and several mortgage companies are looking for contract workers, but they really want people withe xperience at least in a related profession.

I would not move here without savings or a job lined up.
I appreciate everyone who replied to my post. I haven't changed my mind about relocating i've just been trying to save up more cash for the move. I will not move until i can save up enough to last me for 1 year. ( just in case things don't go right ) I am also a certified Nursing Assistant. I've always used that to fall back on when times got hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: