Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 14,038 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have lived in Lake Mary for the past 10 years as a renter. I am looking to buy a condo in Notting Hill. Their HOA fees are 350$ but the location is good. I like that they have a running trail next to the complex.

I am afraid of the HOA going belly up though. They are in bad shape and no one will give loans to buy a property there.

Does any one have any experience living there? Any advise?

TIA,
JS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow2009 View Post
Hello All,
I have lived in Lake Mary for the past 10 years as a renter. I am looking to buy a condo in Notting Hill. Their HOA fees are 350$ but the location is good. I like that they have a running trail next to the complex.

I am afraid of the HOA going belly up though. They are in bad shape and no one will give loans to buy a property there.

Does any one have any experience living there? Any advise?

TIA,
JS
You've answered your own question. I'd proceed with great caution. Many banks will not approve mortgages for places like this with high investors/foreclosures.

Condos that have a very high foreclosure rate, high short sales/foreclosure are in grave danger.

However, location is very good as you've stated.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,542 times
Look around, this sounds like a big problem that you could end up holding the bag on, if they can't pay their taxes or other expenses, they may need to do special assessments to make up the different. Plus, once you buy, you are likely not going to be able to sell until things are running right again, that could be a long time. There are many bargin condos in Lake Mary, my brother lives at another condo complex there and the HOA is adequately funded and his monthly fee is like $220.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Look around, this sounds like a big problem that you could end up holding the bag on, if they can't pay their taxes or other expenses, they may need to do special assessments to make up the different. Plus, once you buy, you are likely not going to be able to sell until things are running right again, that could be a long time. There are many bargin condos in Lake Mary, my brother lives at another condo complex there and the HOA is adequately funded and his monthly fee is like $220.
Do ppl that live in the same complex pay different condo fees? The reason I'm asking is b/c my daughter's landlord said the fees are $167/yr. Maybe they went up this year?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Do ppl that live in the same complex pay different condo fees? The reason I'm asking is b/c my daughter's landlord said the fees are $167/yr. Maybe they went up this year?

The HOA's do vary a great deal, probably based on the size of the property. they seem to range from low 200's - 400. It could indeed be a serious concern. Lenders that handle this sort of property will likely be needed as most probably won't touch them.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Beckycat-- Yes, they assess it based on square foot, sounded like your daughter is in a 1 bedroom unit, my brother is in a 2 bedroom unit. I think at their complex basic cable is included in the fee.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Beckycat-- Yes, they assess it based on square foot, sounded like your daughter is in a 1 bedroom unit, my brother is in a 2 bedroom unit. I think at their complex basic cable is included in the fee.
OH, they don't get basic cable though. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM

My daughter is in a condo in downtown Birmingham, Al. and her monthly fee is $159 and it includes cable but I bet the insurance on the building is far less than here so that probably makes up the difference.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,823 times
i am looking to buy a home also in Notting Hill, but the main concern is the HOA fee of $400.00. what other options do I have?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,979 times
There are many closings on those foreclosed or short sales in Notting Hill every month for the last several months. That means the condo association has gotten their back fees for those units. The fees are high, in the mid 300s a month but they include basic cable, water/sewer, and much more. Most sales are cash but there was recently a conventional loan that closed. The active listings that are priced to sell, go fast. Most times, I send listings to people looking in Notting Hill and if they don't act immediately, the unit goes under contract. There are more pending listings that active listings in the community. Prices are as much as 75% under the initial selling prices for the units. Prices seem to be very level. I put in two cash offers on Sunday for customers, both above list price. One was rejected because they took a better offer and the other has not responded yet since it was only on the market one day. The seller, who is the lender who foreclosed, won't respond until 7 days have passed. The units are renting via the leasing office for as high at $1600 for a three bedroom unit. Private leases are lower. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: