Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's permanent, it will never go away. Mine has gotten slightly worse over the past year, there's nothing that can be done. My hearing hasn't degraded, and not everyone with tinnitus will go deaf. I'd suggest that you speak to an audiologist about it, and see an ENT to rule out any conditions that could possibly be causing it.
Thanks, do you know what causes the noice or sound that we hear in our ears. I know that they say that there is know cure, but I just refuse to except that I can't receive healing from this. I mean their is know cure for allergies, but I was healed, so I just have to keep positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Thanks, do you know what causes the noice or sound that we hear in our ears. I know that they say that there is know cure, but I just refuse to except that I can't receive healing from this. I mean their is know cure for allergies, but I was healed, so I just have to keep positive.
There are a number of reasons that range from high blood pressure to prolonged exposure to loud noise. Sometimes there just isn't a reason.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:55 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I can't recommend a doctor in your area but I can tell you a little something about tinnitus since I have had it for years.
I'm talking over 15 years.
I have had MRI's, CT scans, ultra sounds, of the brain, sinusus, carotid arteries. etc. All came back negative for any tumors, aneuryisms, blockage and so on.
I worked in a very loud enviornment for 30 years repairing transit buses. I was the accident repair and paint guy for many years. I worked for years on buses that had riveted bodys. Cutting panels out, replacing panels with real bucked rivets was very noisy work. I didn't know then what damage it could do and never wore any ear protection. I just never thought about it.
My doctor thinks that is the reason for my problem and there is really nothing that can be done to cure it. There is some kind of aid that you can put in your ears that gives a white noise type of thing that is supposed to make it more bearable. I haven't gone that route yet.
My Dad always complained about tinnitus in his older years and he worked in coal mines in his younger part of life. I would imagine that was a pretty noisy job.
I have noticed that if I get a bad head cold or a sinus episode that it gets worse.
Mowing the lawn, riding my motorcycle, (which has quiet mufflers), or even driving the car with the window cracked that lets in wind noise makes it worse.
I have an inner problem also that causes vertigo at times. Not a pleasant thing.
I have learned to live with it and try to protect myself from loud noises.
There can be medical problems that bring it on that need attention. But in my case the docs can't find anything as the root physical cause or anything that is a threat to my longevity.
It isn't pleasant and it sometimes goes from just slight annoyance to the point of being all I can stand. It varies.
There are tubes that go from the ears to the nose or throat that acts as vents to relieve the pressure in the ears. Eustascion tubes? I think the reason mine is worse with a cold or sinus infection is because these tubes get plugged up and causes the pressure to not be vented. I know my ears feel like I'm on a plane or driving through the mountains and they want to pop but they cant and I have all that pressure that I can't get rid of during those times.
It isn't a fun thing to have and people who have never experienced it have no idea how unpleasent it can be.
If there are no underlying health problems that can be found causing it, it is just something a person has to accept and live with as best they can.
My Dad lived to be 83 and tinnitus had nothing to do with his passing.
I have sympathy for the person. I know what it's like. It ain't no fun but it isn't always a life threatening medical condition. If it is the docs will find it and treat it. Other than that it is just something you have to put up with and try to maintain your lifestyle.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 23,724 times
I, too, have tinnitus in one ear that is constant and so bad that I cannot hear in that ear at all. ENTs can't cure or get rid of the tinnitus if curable medical condition is not found, and in most cases, there is no cause. Some can give techniques for helping to make one less aware of it. Here's source where I found most help:

Home Page | American Tinnitus Association

There's also a center in Daytona Beach that uses low-level laser treatment (LLLT). It appears to be effective in relieving tinnitus; however, I think it's still being evaluated. Somewhat expensive, but well worth it if tinnitus as really bad (as mine is) and you get relief. I'm thinking of going there. Run by neurologist Dr. John A. Ortolani. You can do google and read about the research done.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAlleycat View Post
I, too, have tinnitus in one ear that is constant and so bad that I cannot hear in that ear at all. ENTs can't cure or get rid of the tinnitus if curable medical condition is not found, and in most cases, there is no cause. Some can give techniques for helping to make one less aware of it. Here's source where I found most help:

Home Page | American Tinnitus Association

There's also a center in Daytona Beach that uses low-level laser treatment (LLLT). It appears to be effective in relieving tinnitus; however, I think it's still being evaluated. Somewhat expensive, but well worth it if tinnitus as really bad (as mine is) and you get relief. I'm thinking of going there. Run by neurologist Dr. John A. Ortolani. You can do google and read about the research done.
Not to be nosy, but have you had a CAT scan to rule out a tumor? That is the number one cause of single ear tinnitus, and there is often no other symptom. They are 99.9% of the time benign, but can cause further damage if left untreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando