Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 AM

18 posts, read 155,804 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am just looking for some input on relocating to Florida. Our family currently lives in Southwest Missouri, a small town of about 13,000 people and we planning on moving to the area in the spring of next year once I complete graduate school. We like it here but would like a change and love the warm weather in Florida and the many things to do. I was originally born in St. Louis and a part of me misses bigger city life. My wife was born and raised here in a small town so it will be quite an adjustment for her. We have three kids so schools are very important to us. On top of that, my wife is a teacher so she would also like to work in a good school system. We have looked at the areas of Eustis and Apopka and like both towns. Apopka seems a little more convenient to us. I am an accountant and figure I will probably be working downtown or in the Winter Park Area. Any suggestions as far as places to live and schools would be appreciated. I would also like to hear from anyone that has suggestions as far as great places to work. We are looking for a smaller suburb that is not too far out. I would also like some input as to what you most love about the area and hate about the area. We have come across what seems to be qute a few people who hated living there and moved back here. I kind of figure it all comes down to what you want to make of it. Also if anyone has any suggestions as far to good boating lakes. We love boating skiing here in the summer but are used to clear lakes where you can see your feet while in the water. Any input you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM

28 posts, read 146,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvoss016 View Post
Hi everyone. I am just looking for some input on relocating to Florida. Our family currently lives in Southwest Missouri, a small town of about 13,000 people and we planning on moving to the area in the spring of next year once I complete graduate school. We like it here but would like a change and love the warm weather in Florida and the many things to do. I was originally born in St. Louis and a part of me misses bigger city life. My wife was born and raised here in a small town so it will be quite an adjustment for her. We have three kids so schools are very important to us. On top of that, my wife is a teacher so she would also like to work in a good school system. We have looked at the areas of Eustis and Apopka and like both towns. Apopka seems a little more convenient to us. I am an accountant and figure I will probably be working downtown or in the Winter Park Area. Any suggestions as far as places to live and schools would be appreciated. I would also like to hear from anyone that has suggestions as far as great places to work. We are looking for a smaller suburb that is not too far out. I would also like some input as to what you most love about the area and hate about the area. We have come across what seems to be qute a few people who hated living there and moved back here. I kind of figure it all comes down to what you want to make of it. Also if anyone has any suggestions as far to good boating lakes. We love boating skiing here in the summer but are used to clear lakes where you can see your feet while in the water. Any input you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.
Try the Melbourne area. It's close enough to Orlando if you want big city and small enough so you can still get on to the beach in season

Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM

640 posts, read 3,076,073 times
I would suggest not relocating until you secure new employment. It's not that easy to find quality employment here. There are professional positions but they take awhile to find, interview and then land. Also, you may finally find something that is a 50 mile day commute if you move here first. It's a given that wages are much lower here too so the last thing you want to do is get stuck with a long commute with traffic, toll roads with lower wages. My advice is to find that nice town nearest to your new job. And you're right, life is what you make of it. Best of luck on your new adventure!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,193,480 times
I have to dissagree about Melbourne being close to Orlando. I've lived in Orlando all of my life and have been to Melbourne maybe a handful of times. It takes just as much time for me to go to Melbourne as it does for me to get to Palm Coast or Inverness.

Anyway, compared to where the original poster is coming from, Orlando is a Big City. Yes, we have lots of lakes. Also, lots of traffic and very little parking for people trailering their boats to the lakes. Orlando is nothing like St. Louis. As far as schools go, Apopka is about the worst school district you can move to, unless your kids will be going to private school. Or, if you are in Seminole County, like Lake Brantly area, that would be ok.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:45 PM

Thank you for all of the advise. I plan on securing employment before committing to a move, I just figure most of the accounting/finance jobs will be located near the downtown area so we are concentrating on areas that are not too far out. In the last week or so our concentration has shifted more to the Avalon Park area due to the fact they seem to have great schools. It is more important that we are close to good schools so my wife will not have much of a commute and the kids will be close to her workplace. I personally dont mind traffic or a long commute, I used to drive back and forth to Tulsa daily which is about an hour and a half commute each way. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Arrow Job advice

Getting a job here before you move down will be the tough part. REALLY tough. IF you happen to get a job, don't blow it by asking for a "Missouri wage" here. The local job market is hevily dependent on tourism and these are under $9/h paying jobs. Not good for the high local cost of living.

You have to research the local job market and see that the wages here in FL are much lower and ask for a comparable local wage or you will have blown the interview by asking for too much money.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,193,480 times
Entry level accounting jobs are available. I don't know if you will get the salary you want, but you shouldn't have a hard time securing a job. I spoke to an accountant friend of mine yesterday, and he voiced difficulty in finding associate accountants to hire, as a result of fewer people entering into that profession these days.

However, if you are a "financial planner", there are a glut of them out there right now. Tax and Audit accountants are what people need.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM

I have researched the job market extensively and I am not too concerned about finding a job. When I graduate, I will be a CPA with seven years of public accounting experience (extensive tax work) and have a Masters degree. Actually part of the move is inspired because of what I will earn as opposed to here. I know the cost of living will offset alot of that, but I will still be ahead. The cost of living is extremely low here, however the wages follow that pattern and are extremely low in this area. There are not many people in this area that make over six figures a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando