Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 285,671 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite things to do when I go to a new area is check out some of the local dining. Since moving here I haven't really done a lot of that as of yet but I certainly would like to. I was just looking at the question someone had about where kids eat free and saw a place called Jersey Mikes which made me wonder - what are the best unique local flavor restaurants?

I'm open to all types of cuisine although my preference is definitely asian and I'll admit to not being much of a seafood person (at least beyond shrimp & sushi).

Thanks everyone - I'm looking forward to getting some opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Some of the best ethnic foods you will find here are Vietnamese and Caribbean. Some of the best examples of Vietnamese are Little Saigon on E Mills and my personal favorite is Pho Hoa on Primrose and Colonial behind a Il Pescatore and Einstein Bagels. One great Latin place is La Lechonera on east Colonial near the intersection of Dean Rd and another is Rolando's (Cuban) in Casselberry. I have yet to try Rolando's but I have heard nothing but great things about it.

A lot of Orlando's restaurants are chains, some are national, some are in the SE, some in Florida, and some only in the area. This does not mean that they are not worth a try though. Some great restaurants that are chains but are great places to eat are Seasons 52 (Florida and Atlanta only), and Toojays (Florida), Ale House (Sports bar, but fun and local to the state).

Some trendy contemporary cuisine places include Ravenous Pig on N Orange, Luma on Park in Winter Park, Dexter's (great chain with three locations in the area: Lake Mary, Thornton Park, Winter Park). I hope you enjoy these suggestions and more to come. Have fun in town!

P.S. -Also Urban Spoon is a great site to look for specific types of cuisines, neighborhood eateries and favorites, rated by people who have actually eaten there. I have used it to try places in Orlando, CT, and Las Vegas and have been pretty lucky, it is a pretty accurate website.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
SOunds like Wilsire and I have some similar tastes and haunts. There is a Thai restaurant on Semopran and Old Cheney that is excellent. Hue on Summerland is upscale and very nice. Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have always like Mythos in IOA and Hard Rock in City Walk. Chinese in town for some reason is pretty dismal. Among the better options is a place in Altamonte behind the Burger King on 436 across from the mall I don't recall the name. it is high priced for Oriental but not horrible price wise.

For the back home experience there is the Koffee Cup (under the water tower on 192)in St Cloud or Sunshine Cafe on Curry Ford near Crystal Lake. The Koffee cup is the cheapest eatingin the city.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
San Jose's is a great local place. They have locations in Winter Garden and Clermont.

Also Tinuana Flats for great fast food, it's a chain, but it started in Orlando, so I consider it "local."

The Ravenous Pig, Funky Monkey Wine Bar, Little Anthony's Pizza. Boston Fish House has real New England style seafood in a very casual setting, it's the closest to a real New England seafood shack I've found south of New York.

I also like Hue, Luma on Park, Christiani's for a special occasion.

Akino in Clermont is fantabulous if you like Japanese.

That's a good start.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
I like Charley's Steak House, on Orange Blossom Trail. The others aren't as good, imo.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:35 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
SOunds like Wilsire and I have some similar tastes and haunts. There is a Thai restaurant on Semopran and Old Cheney that is excellent. Hue on Summerland is upscale and very nice. Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I have always like Mythos in IOA and Hard Rock in City Walk. Chinese in town for some reason is pretty dismal. Among the better options is a place in Altamonte behind the Burger King on 436 across from the mall I don't recall the name. it is high priced for Oriental but not horrible price wise.

For the back home experience there is the Koffee Cup (under the water tower on 192)in St Cloud or Sunshine Cafe on Curry Ford near Crystal Lake. The Koffee cup is the cheapest eatingin the city.
I really like Royal Thai, that is the location on Semoran and Old Cheney. The other really good Thai place I frequent is SEA Thai on E Colonial by the Orlando Fashion Square mall. Hue is on Summerlin and Central in Thornton Park. The name of the cafe on Curry Ford and Crystal Lake is Daybreak Cafe. Just a few corrections. AONE, you seem like a landmark driven individual but I agree with your tastes. The places I have tried at least.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
Sushi is really good here in Orlando. Try Shari, Seito and Wazzabi. Rolando's Cuban is great. There's also a Peruvian place in Hunter's Creek that's really good. Cafe Trestavere on Magnolia is good Italian. Greek Corner on Ivanhoe is, well obviously Greek. For a different dining experience, although a little pricey, Texas de Brasil is really good steaks and meat cuts. Kohinoor for Indian in Altamonte.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I think Texas De Brasil is really overpriced unless you get a BOGO coupon. (They are a chain, too.)

Another that's a little overpriced and a small chain but really good is Colombia, they are in Celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando