Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 100,383 times

Advertisements

We are going to moving to Florida the 1st week of August. We are thinking the Deltona area, We have a 6 year old daughter and want to be in a good area. I will be looking for admin work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 07:13 PM

26 posts, read 67,748 times
I have lived in central florida for 22 years. I currently live in Apopka. I have never lived in Deltona. It seems nice enough I suppose. Deltona is in Volusia county which I would absolutly reccomend living in rather than Orange county and even parts of Seminole county. Living wise you will get a little more bang for your buck. Now if you plan on living in Deltona and working in Orlando you are looking at possibly a 40 minute commute each way due to horrific traffic. Maybe try to get an admin job in the Lake Mary area and your commute would be easy. You will soon learn I-4 traffic is the pits. I think Deltona overall isnt a bad place to be in central florida. You will be about oh 20 minutes to Daytona Beach. Hope this helps

Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouthjay View Post
I have lived in central florida for 22 years. I currently live in Apopka. I have never lived in Deltona. It seems nice enough I suppose. Deltona is in Volusia county which I would absolutly reccomend living in rather than Orange county and even parts of Seminole county. Living wise you will get a little more bang for your buck. Now if you plan on living in Deltona and working in Orlando you are looking at possibly a 40 minute commute each way due to horrific traffic. Maybe try to get an admin job in the Lake Mary area and your commute would be easy. You will soon learn I-4 traffic is the pits. I think Deltona overall isnt a bad place to be in central florida. You will be about oh 20 minutes to Daytona Beach. Hope this helps

Thanks, Right now work is 20 mins. awat. so I would like to kep it at that.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Default Hello stac...

I've lived here, in a city that borders Deltona...and I have lived here since I was 5 years old...I am now 52. When I was young, and these parts were nothing but forests..and Orange groves...and 17-92 was a two lane dark...lightless road from DeLand to Sanford...and I-4 was nothing but a two lane highway...I grew up...and when I was about 9 years old...I began watching the state begin to load tons and tons...dump truck after dump truck of sand....sand....and more sand, and they built homes on this sand, and called it DELTONA!! ...and now, everytime it floods, because of a hard, long downpour...or a hurricane or two...just guess what city is practically under water?...yes...Deltona!! It is awfull!! If you would like to live in a place that is perfect for families...and not in the big stressful cities...if you would like to live in an area that is right in the middle of everything...30 minutes in any direction to get to anything you'd like for intertainment...choose DeBary, Fl...or DeLand, Fl. Debary is just north of Orlando, across the St. John's River...in 7 minutes you can get to a wonderful Mall in Sanford...great restaurants...and Orlando is 25-30 minutes away...Maitland is a great city between DeBary and Orlando...another great place to live. If I were you, I wouldn't choose anything closer than Maitland in proximity to Orlando to live...Orlando is the PITTS!!! Let me know if you have any more questions...I'd be glad to help you out!!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
I've lived here, in a city that borders Deltona...and I have lived here since I was 5 years old...I am now 52. When I was young, and these parts were nothing but forests..and Orange groves...and 17-92 was a two lane dark...lightless road from DeLand to Sanford...and I-4 was nothing but a two lane highway...I grew up...and when I was about 9 years old...I began watching the state begin to load tons and tons...dump truck after dump truck of sand....sand....and more sand, and they built homes on this sand, and called it DELTONA!! ...and now, everytime it floods, because of a hard, long downpour...or a hurricane or two...just guess what city is practically under water?...yes...Deltona!! It is awfull!! If you would like to live in a place that is perfect for families...and not in the big stressful cities...if you would like to live in an area that is right in the middle of everything...30 minutes in any direction to get to anything you'd like for intertainment...choose DeBary, Fl...or DeLand, Fl. Debary is just north of Orlando, across the St. John's River...in 7 minutes you can get to a wonderful Mall in Sanford...great restaurants...and Orlando is 25-30 minutes away...Maitland is a great city between DeBary and Orlando...another great place to live. If I were you, I wouldn't choose anything closer than Maitland in proximity to Orlando to live...Orlando is the PITTS!!! Let me know if you have any more questions...I'd be glad to help you out!!
I agree with your synopsis of Deltona but Orlando is not the pitts, as you put it! That is too general a statement given the fact that within Orlando are some of the nicest homes, communities and schools!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
I agree, DeBary is very nice.

Quote:

Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Default O.k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I agree with your synopsis of Deltona but Orlando is not the pitts, as you put it! That is too general a statement given the fact that within Orlando are some of the nicest homes, communities and schools!
...you're right, I am making too general of a statement...I am basing my opinion on my own personal experiences when I moved to live there In the Pine Grove Apartments, on Kirkman Blvd...It was the most terrible 2 years of my life!!!...car break-ins...shootings...the traffic absolutley drove me insane...I spent 3/4's of my life at a stop light...I was SOOO over it, and moved back here where I am now....whew!...what a relief to be away from that mess!!! I am a country girl...I love untouched, thick forests of green trees...moderate traffic...short stop lights...a whole, complete car to drive in the next morning...and peace and quiet. Other than that, Orlando is great...!...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I agree, DeBary is very nice.
DeBary is a wonderful place for a family...great schools...great teachers...great, respectable, quiet neighbors...community affairs for the family...Gemini Springs Park...Blue Springs Park...the River with it's landscaping and picnic areas...and eating establishments....a good way of life in DeBary!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM

34 posts, read 77,015 times
Quote:
DeBary is a wonderful place for a family...great schools...great teachers...great, respectable, quiet neighbors...community affairs for the family...Gemini Springs Park...Blue Springs Park...the River with it's landscaping and picnic areas...and eating establishments....a good way of life in DeBary!

I checked schooldigger.com and the schools didn't get very high ratings...do you think this is an unfair judgement? Moving to Florida within the next year.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Quote:
...you're right, I am making too general of a statement...I am basing my opinion on my own personal experiences when I moved to live there In the Pine Grove Apartments, on Kirkman Blvd...It was the most terrible 2 years of my life!!!...car break-ins...shootings...the traffic absolutley drove me insane...I spent 3/4's of my life at a stop light...I was SOOO over it, and moved back here where I am now....whew!...what a relief to be away from that mess!!! I am a country girl...I love untouched, thick forests of green trees...moderate traffic...short stop lights...a whole, complete car to drive in the next morning...and peace and quiet. Other than that, Orlando is great...!...
You should post your experience in some of the current Metrowest forums LOL! Glad you got to somewhere you enjoy more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando