Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM

39 posts, read 102,800 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to the central florida area (orlando, ocala, daytona, gainesville, etc). He's in sales and will be all over the place, so we're pretty flexible as to where we live. We're thinking we need to stay relatively close to Orlando though as the most jobs for my field seem to be there (advertising). We're looking primarily for safe, family-friendly areas. We don't have kids yet, but plan to, so we'd like to buy within a good school systems as well. We've been trying to get a feel for the areas around Orlando and have heard good things about both Oviedo and Hunter's Creek. From research, I'm leaning towards Oviedo and Seminole's school systems, but it seems like we'll get more for our money in Hunter's Creek. Can anyone give me some firsthand insight into the pros and cons of these areas? Are there any areas like these that we should know about and possible consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,229 times
As a whole, the schools in Seminole county outrank Orange County. There are some exceptions, though. I have lived in Hunter's Creek for 5 years now. I also lived here back in 1990 for 1 yr. before moving up to PA. Anyway, as for now--the elementary schools and the middle school for Hunter's Creek are all A rated--so that's tops. My kids have done well and I now have 2 in college and 2 in HS. All 4 will finish in the top few percent of their class--but Freedom HS could use some improvement. It's a relatively new school--so it's not that issue--it's the kids from areas around Hunter's Creek that are districted for the same HS.

Hunter's Creek is a heavily deed restricted community--so if that bothers you--you might not want to be here. Some of the things the Association complains about are awfully nit-picky--like putting your trash out too early, too many trees in your yard, Christmas lights being up past deadline to take down, etc., but it is also those guidelines which keep the area looking very nice. If homes were not sitting in foreclosure and empty, the yards would all be mowed. You can't have weeds and you can't have bare spots in your yard.

As residents, we also enjoy an awful lot of free ammenities...lots of lakes to fish in and boat on (without motors). Several community parks, tennis, racquetball, golf, tot lots, etc. Free movie nights, our own Christmas parade, easter egg hunt, haunted house, and so much more. Each neighborhood has its own association and there is the women's club, summer camp for kids, and oodles of sports.

Hunter's Creek is a very safe area with little to almost no violent crime. You will find people out walking all of the time. I will walk at 10-11pm with no worry. There is petty crime in the area, but I get the stats emailed to me monthly, and Hunter's Creek is way down the list on that too.

I personally think the location is great--with very easy access to all of the major roads--I-4, 528, 417, FL Turnpike, etc. We have lots of shopping and dining right here--so I rarely leave Hunter's Creek anymore.

I don't have a lot of experience with Oveido, so I can't say a lot. Most everyone that we know that lives in the Oveido area loves it. It is a great family area. A few times we have thought of going up to that area or over to Waterford Lakes (which is straight south of Oveido down Alafaya Trail. I haven't looked at prices in Oveido or Waterford lately, so it surprises me that you think you might get a better deal in Hunter's Creek. For a long time, I thought Hunter's Creek was overpriced and actually--there was more for less $$ in Oveido and Waterford.

I like both areas. I have just become so acclimated to the Hunter's Creek area and SW Orlando, that I am more comfortable here. Hunter's Creek is also much more convenient for husband's job. I like our location for ease and convenience of going elsewhere.

As for demographics, I believe that the Oveido/Waterford area probably has a higher % of whites than Hunter's Creek. We have a nice mix of ethnicity in Hunter's Creek, but I am sure the Hispanic population is more concentrated here in Hunter's Creek than Oveido.

A few other areas that you might want to consider in Orange County include: Dr. Philips, Windermere, Winter Garden, & Lake Nona.
In Osceola County, Celebration is wonderful--if it fits your budget.

Good Luck to you.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 AM

196 posts, read 817,657 times
I would go for Dr. Phillips....Good location with out a lot of compromise, good schools, great restaurants, and central. Zip codes (32836,32819).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando