Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 AM

34 posts, read 77,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrice McCullough View Post
There are a lot of white people that won't go in black areas because they think black people are so ___________whatever. I talk about it with my co-workers (a few are white) They talk about certain areas they won't go in. BLACK AREAS! My boss told us (black folks) about an area in the "hood" that she went to and she stated she was a little scared. We (black folks) told her that we get scared when going to that area also. We laugh and JOKE about it all the time. Come on don't be so sensitive. I spoke my mind and asked a question and got answers. Oh by the way there's a few areas I won't go in that are "BLACK AREAS"! Why not talk about it WE ALL know it's out there. Why try to pretend like it doesn't exist. I really enjoy talking to white people about sterotypes, race issues, etc. Heck we even talk about body shapes as far as white women and black women. So.........sorry if I offended you. I don't have ANYTHING against white people it's just the snooty ones that makes me laugh.
Agreed. OP was just asking a question. Most people answered without apprearing upset. No need for the sensitivity!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 AM

81 posts, read 261,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
Agreed. OP was just asking a question. Most people answered without apprearing upset. No need for the sensitivity!!!
Sensitivity?????? Oh please. LOL I'm loving this! Apparently you're not reading my comment correctly. But thanks for the input.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Be happy you are not in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacques View Post
Hell try being a lesbian in orlando : ) If your not the sporty, skinny vallyball kind, finding a group of fellow lesbians to hang out with is nearly impossible. We are very segregated here in florida, but not not by race really. Just as every one else has pointed out, but by class & politics. You'll find that if you have money and are conservative you'll probably have a pretty easy time making friends. Don't get me wrong but there are still some neighborhoods that are pretty dived by color - Parramore, Bithlo, Christmas....
My daughter just moved back to NY. Not only she couldn't find anybody of her own sexual orientation to hang out with, she couldn't find ANYBODY under the age of 65 to hang out with. "I drive around and look in cars and all I see are OLD PEOPLE." That is what she said all the time.

I worked with a young woman last summer who was a lesbian. She said when she finished college this year, she was moving to Tampa. She also said most her friends had already moved there. Must be all the young, even if natives, leave Naples.

Is moving a consideration?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Why would she have to move? SHe's in orlando where there is a large G/L community. I'm thinking she's just not looking in the right palces. I'm straight and at least 10% of my friends here are gay or lesbian.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 AM

34 posts, read 77,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrice McCullough View Post
Sensitivity?????? Oh please. LOL I'm loving this! Apparently you're not reading my comment correctly. But thanks for the input.
I am agreeing with YOU...the posters who are saying "if a white person said blah, blah, blah....THEY ARE THE SENSITIVE ONES. Like I said...most people answered the questions honestly and contributed to a good discussion. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
She couldn't find ANYBODY under the age of 65 to hang out with. "I drive around and look in cars and all I see are OLD PEOPLE." That is what she said all the time.
Where did she live? And how old is she exactly? I feel like Orlando has one of the "youngest" populations in Florida for a non-college town.....

The University of Central Florida has the 5th largest student population in the ENTIRE U.S.
List of largest United States university campuses by enrollment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And according to these demographics, only 11% of individuals in Orlando are over the age of 65:
"In the city the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 37.3% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando#Demographics

I know i keep quoting wikipedia... but it's fast

Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default No, my daughter was in Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Where did she live? And how old is she exactly? I feel like Orlando has one of the "youngest" populations in Florida for a non-college town.....

The University of Central Florida has the 5th largest student population in the ENTIRE U.S.
List of largest United States university campuses by enrollment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I just made the point to the OP to be happy she wasn't here. Orlando has a much younger population.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I just made the point to the OP to be happy she wasn't here. Orlando has a much younger population.

Haha! It would help for me to read the title of your post wouldn't it

Sorry bout that... but hey.. now people have some more demographics info

Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post

And according to these demographics, only 11% of individuals in Orlando are over the age of 65:
"In the city the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 37.3% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years."
Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know i keep quoting wikipedia... but it's fast
I think somehow a Naples post got in the thread because I agree Orlando is very young. Orlando also has a sizable gay and lesbian population. All you have to do is go to particular venues, neighborhoods, and/or eateries to be around several gay and lesbian individuals and their company (no assumptions here). Think Savoy, Hambuger Mary's, Sip, Pulse, Parliament House, Hue, etc.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM

81 posts, read 261,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
I am agreeing with YOU...the posters who are saying "if a white person said blah, blah, blah....THEY ARE THE SENSITIVE ONES. Like I said...most people answered the questions honestly and contributed to a good discussion. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
OOOOPS, Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando