Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences using PODS or something similiar to that in a long-distance move. Is it economical and convenient? Do your items come out on the other end ok or have you had issues with damaged items? If I need to leave my belongings in the POD while finding housing are the costs relatively inexpensive?

Any input on using this service in the Orlando area going out-of-state from Orlando would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

21 posts, read 100,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences using PODS or something similiar to that in a long-distance move. Is it economical and convenient? Do your items come out on the other end ok or have you had issues with damaged items? If I need to leave my belongings in the POD while finding housing are the costs relatively inexpensive?

Any input on using this service in the Orlando area going out-of-state from Orlando would be appreciated.

We check into it moving from Il to Florida. it was going to be $1,500 more then just renting a truck.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
I cannot recommend them enough. I usually don't have the best of luck with these things, but PODS made my life 100% less stressful during the 2 moves I used them. The first I had 3 PODS delivered to my home here and had them shipped to Nashville. They stored them in Nashville for 3 months and when I finally unpacked them there were a couple of damaged items, but it was mainly my fault for not packing things better. You really need to do a good job with that and you do it yourself. It was extremely convenient, nothing was stolen, everything was on time, there were no hidden costs, people were helpful...... the only negative is that it is $$$ but the time, money, energy and stress you save...if you have the money, do it. I have moved quite a bit and this makes it sooooo much easier.

I used them when I moved back to Orlando too.

They will give you a free quote if you tell them how many pods you need, where they are going and how much it costs to store them. I think mine were $200 a month each to store them.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 29,724 times
Default Using A Pod In August

We are moving to Orlando in August and will be using a Pod to move from California. So far the customer service has been responsive and professional.

I have read so much on line about moving company horror stories that I just didnt want to take a chance with them.

A bit pricey, hopefully all will be good.

Good luck with your move.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 PM

133 posts, read 191,241 times
We used a POD for a short move and it was pretty nice. We used ABF for a cross country move and they were excellent! I highly recommend them.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I used PODS in 2006 when I moved from Orlando to Pittsburgh and I also highly recommend them! They way PODS works makes a big move so much less stressful. You rent the POD for a whole month and can load it at your leisure. Then when you're ready you just call them and they'll pick up the POD and deliver it to your new home and you can unload at your own pace as well. Then just call them when everything is unloaded and they'll just pick up the POD.

I looked into PODS because I wasn't excited about driving a crappy Uhaul or something through the Appalachian Mountains with everything I own jammed in the back, while trying to adhere to a tight schedule because the truck had to be returned. PODS was great because I could just drive my own car up north at my own pace while they delivered the POD. When the POD arrived, nothing had moved an inch. I was concerned about damage to a big-screen tv, but it was perfectly fine. Of course, loading it is up to you, so you must pack everything tightly so it doesn't move around.

So yes, I can't recommend PODS enough. I've haven't had many GOOD moving experiences, so this was a nice surprise.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times
we are looking to use them.... big selling factor, maybe its more money, but as long as a previous poster mentioned and you pack it right, things should not move as the hydrolic lift doesn't tip it, like a moving truck or the competitors will

Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 51,462 times
Storage pods are a great way to move. When I used, I worked with Door to Door, a company similar to PODS. They had great service, and everything came to my new home in the same condition. I am so lucky nothing broke. I highly recommend calling around for price quotes. Fees depend on where exactly you live, so calling to get an estimate is best. They can also tell you more acurately over the phone what size of container you will need/ how many. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
If you get a POD, who helps you move all your crap into the POD, do you enlist the help of your friends? Haha! God I used to hate that request...haha!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
If you get a POD, who helps you move all your crap into the POD, do you enlist the help of your friends? Haha! God I used to hate that request...haha!
the same people that would help me load it into a moving truck...my 4 kids

Thanks for the replies everybody! It beats loading it up and unloading it into a storage room and loading it back up and unloading it again. Load it onced, leave it set until I find a place and then unload it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando