Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,354 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know abt the crime off of poinciana pkwy and pine st by the elem school or is it an ok place to live? how long does it take to drive to orlando (airport area or obt area) in the morning for work? how are the elem and high schools? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Crime in Poinciana isn't the worst in the Orlando area, but it's definitely up there and statistics are rising rather than falling. There is only one way in and out, so traffic is terrible on Poinciana Pkwy almost any time of the day.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM

17 posts, read 49,495 times
I would tend to disagree with Annerk's posting, while it is an older post it has been viewed several times. Everyone needs to visit the area, decide for yourself. I can tell you I grew up in Village 7, moved away and then just recently moved back after purchasing a REO Property that was built by Renar Homes of Orlando.

Crime has decreased significantly in the 34759 zip code, also APV is using HOA Funds to hire extra deputy patrols during the day and evening hours to deter outsiders from exploiting the hard working.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Just the fact that they have to use extra deputy patrols to keep crime out is enough to make me think twice about the area.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Annerk, crime is everywhere. Popular subdivisions like Celebration, Belle Isle, Hunters Creek, Metro West, Veranda Park all do this with HOA Funds to protect the residents, property and value.

I'm sorry if this deters you from wanting to move into the Poinciana area. Its a wonderful community and I LOVE the Sandhill Cranes and the nature too

For anyone moving into the Central Florida area and reading these posts, I'm going to tell you from experience... Your relator will push the homes they want to sell, the ones that pay the most commissions... You really need to do your own footwork and decide for yourself.

Villages 7 and 8 of Poinciana are in a better location then the rest of the community, the traffic, crime norms everyone else describes really doesnt roll over to this side of the community. Poinciana is 40,000 acres, the largest community of its kind in the nation.

Most of the crime that does happen in this community is from those that don't even reside here. Its up to you to maintain your own residence, pick up your trash, cut your lawn, report suspicious activity... Those things contribute to the overall well being of YOUR community, regardless of the location.

Last edited by oisurf; 05-19-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oisurf View Post
Annerk, crime is everywhere. Popular subdivisions like Celebration, Belle Isle, Hunters Creek, Metro West, Veranda Park all do this with HOA Funds to protect the residents, property and value.
Actually Belle Isle isn't a "subdivision, it's a city with it's own police force. Frankly I'm not a fan of Celebration or Metrowest, I wouldn't want to live anywhere that close to areas with tremendous crime and gang problems.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this deters you from wanting to move into the Poinciana area. Its a wonderful community and I LOVE the Sandhill Cranes and the nature too
Why would I want to move there? I live in a much more desirable area that also has plenty of sand hill cranes and nature. And doesn't need to pay for extra police protection to deter crime. (Not to mention having better schools)

Quote:
For anyone moving into the Central Florida area and reading these posts, I'm going to tell you from experience... Your relator will push the homes they want to sell, the ones that pay the most commissions... You really need to do your own footwork and decide for yourself.
FYI--I'm not a realtor.

Quote:
Villages 7 and 8 of Poinciana are in a better location then the rest of the community, the traffic, crime norms everyone else describes really doesnt roll over to this side of the community. Poinciana is 40,000 acres, the largest community of its kind in the nation.
It sure rolls over there if you need to commute to Orlando for work!

Quote:
Most of the crime that does happen in this community is from those that don't even reside here. Its up to you to maintain your own residence, pick up your trash, cut your lawn, report suspicious activity... Those things contribute to the overall well being of YOUR community, regardless of the location.
We do all of the above, and don't have to worry about gang bangers and drug dealers in the neighborhood. We also don't have to worry about our HOA going bankrupt or raising dues through the roof because of deadbeat and/or foreclosed homeowners. Our foreclosure rate is very, very low, and we also don't have to deal with a lot of renters--both long and short term--because 98% of the homes where I live are owner occupied.

I don't really care how large it is, that 40,000 acres also covers the villages that are facing huge foreclosure rates and crime problems.

You go on enjoying it there, but I'm going to keep telling people interested in that area to make sure they go into it with their eyes wide open.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Well looks like you took my post personally, which wasn't my intention at all. I am trying to promote the community in which I grew up, served in the military and DECIDED on my own to move back to after my commitment to the country was up.

I'm sorry to say this but I'm sure its pretty oblivious to others that your view on anything other then that in which you view favorable is not worthy of your praise of recognition. You're sharing some very pessimistic views on a community of 70,000....

Compare our crime rate with that of any city in the country the same size and you will probably never post a derogatory comment about the Poinciana gang bangers, which since I've lived here since 91' and moved back in 09' after my time away at war.. The Poinciana gang bangers you would be referring to are probably the same people I see riding tandem on bikes, rollerblading, walking their dogs, playing with their kids in the front yard or walking to school.. (Polk County Side, village 7)

With the Central Florida Market conditions not the most favorable right now for new job creation at most individuals are looking for the best dollar to dollar value. I personally love my neighbors, love my community and support any change for the positive and since I've been a long time resident I do feel that I am in a better position to speak on the living conditions in this sprawling 40,000 acre community.

This forum serves a purpose for providing constructive information, not complaining about how bad yadda...yadda...yadda.. is.. Wish you the very best with your health, enjoy your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando