Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,060,103 times

Advertisements

Anyone noticed all the new signs downtown? Tons of places are under new ownership. I am seeing new signs pretty much everywhere...The Attic took over the old AKA Lounge, Vain is taking over Lyrica (and looks to be renovating), Deja Vu is taking over Voyager (and renovating), Brix is closed and is completely gutted and is undergoing total renovation for something, Boss is taking over Element, and Primetime took over The Clubhouse (no renovation). Then you have all the new spots like Baby Grands, Mojo, and Heat on Church St. Good to see so much activity downtown....more people need to go down there and support all these places.

Anyone have any good ideas for what someone could do with Cheyenne Saloon? While I am not a big karaoke fan, I think this is sorely missing from downtown. So many people are into it, I have no idea why there is no bar for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Anyone noticed all the new signs downtown? Tons of places are under new ownership. I am seeing new signs pretty much everywhere...The Attic took over the old AKA Lounge, Vain is taking over Lyrica (and looks to be renovating), Deja Vu is taking over Voyager (and renovating), Brix is closed and is completely gutted and is undergoing total renovation for something, Boss is taking over Element, and Primetime took over The Clubhouse (no renovation). Then you have all the new spots like Baby Grands, Mojo, and Heat on Church St. Good to see so much activity downtown....more people need to go down there and support all these places.

Anyone have any good ideas for what someone could do with Cheyenne Saloon? While I am not a big karaoke fan, I think this is sorely missing from downtown. So many people are into it, I have no idea why there is no bar for this.
The old Cheyenne Saloon was so great as the old Cheyenne Saloon, so it's hard for lots of us to imagine it as something else. Yes, they did a nice job changing Rosie's but hey a musical revue just didn't make it in DT ORL 2.0. Personally I think it would be wise if CSS considered revamping the old Cheyenne Saloon and changing a few features so that it could still be a family friendly destination before and after the Magic games, concerts, and other events. DT Orlando is evolving nicely but it has lost considerable appeal for the family. I was talking with some international guests the other day and they honestly thought that DT Orlando had more life in the 90's than it does today. Certainly that is not true but I could see how from their perspective, they would feel that way. Now, as I've said before, I am so glad CityWalk, and DT Disney got the tourists out of our city core, I regret however, that at the time our city and metro didn't have the stamina to keep that area going. The exchange was a great mall and a lot of fun for example and would still make a great place to introduce a much needed element into DT Orlando, retail. Imagine revamping that place to have stores like other downtowns do. Couple that with the increased traffic from the Amway Center and the future SunRail station, and I think we will resurrect Church Street for good. It's sad when I truly stop to think about that area on my way to a great bar like Lattitudes, the realization that the only Terror left on Church Street are the skeletons of a once great and very promising urban entertainment & shopping district.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
The old Cheyenne Saloon was so great as the old Cheyenne Saloon, so it's hard for lots of us to imagine it as something else. Yes, they did a nice job changing Rosie's but hey a musical revue just didn't make it in DT ORL 2.0. Personally I think it would be wise if CSS considered revamping the old Cheyenne Saloon and changing a few features so that it could still be a family friendly destination before and after the Magic games, concerts, and other events. DT Orlando is evolving nicely but it has lost considerable appeal for the family. I was talking with some international guests the other day and they honestly thought that DT Orlando had more life in the 90's than it does today. Certainly that is not true but I could see how from their perspective, they would feel that way. Now, as I've said before, I am so glad CityWalk, and DT Disney got the tourists out of our city core, I regret however, that at the time our city and metro didn't have the stamina to keep that area going. The exchange was a great mall and a lot of fun for example and would still make a great place to introduce a much needed element into DT Orlando, retail. Imagine revamping that place to have stores like other downtowns do. Couple that with the increased traffic from the Amway Center and the future SunRail station, and I think we will resurrect Church Street for good. It's sad when I truly stop to think about that area on my way to a great bar like Lattitudes, the realization that the only Terror left on Church Street are the skeletons of a once great and very promising urban entertainment & shopping district.
Great points! I was driving by the exchange, and there appears to be a new art gallery there on the corner. I don't know if it is permanent, but it looks like it was. Signs of life there too? They need get retail back in there...I totally agree. Waste of a really beautiful building.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 AM

I forgot to mention that I also read a few weeks ago that Tabu is going to be renovated next year and turned into more of a live music venue.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
I'm hearing that the folks who own the Social are buying Tabu and might actually break through the wall to make it one large venu, or operate Tabu as the arger concert venue to compete with Firestone and keep the Social as a more caberet style.

The AKA owners basically renamed and moved the club and are now Club 57 West.

There is karaoke downtown, I can't remember who is doing it, the Globe maybe?

Frankly at this point we're nearing bar/nightclub saturation, and I think making Cheyenne into a restaurant might be a better option.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,956,628 times
Quote:
Great points! I was driving by the exchange, and there appears to be a new art gallery there on the corner. I don't know if it is permanent, but it looks like it was. Signs of life there too? They need get retail back in there...I totally agree. Waste of a really beautiful building.
I've always wondered where and how we could get the retail spark going in DT Orlando. Your post made me think about the Exchange and I thought, that's it!! If we did it right it would be like Orlando's mini version of Quincy Market in Boston with a splash or nightlife and retail to keep things interesting. From there I'm sure other locations would be snatched up around the CBD and Thornton Park for retail such as the street level of condo buildings or even the empty lot on Orange Ave near Livingston, what an eyesore.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I also read a few weeks ago that Tabu is going to be renovated next year and turned into more of a live music venue.
Do you guys remember that Lou Pearlman was going to transform the Church Street Market area to have live music and vendors and such when he moved Transcontinental Studios there? That would have been alright if he wasn't such a fraud himself. Live music venues in Orlando have always been and will continue to be remarkable. We are a blessed city for music that needs to regain it's steam and popularity as such. Went to the Paramore show back in August and Haley Williams kept saying how Orlando was the bands second home and how they had played Backbooth, the Social, HOB, Hard Rock, etc, and that they even recorded their first album here. That spoke volumes to me about how well this city can be percieved by so many people in the real world yet trashed as a second rate tourist trap by so many on CD and other internet forums. Jealousy if you ask me.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I've always wondered where and how we could get the retail spark going in DT Orlando. Your post made me think about the Exchange and I thought, that's it!! If we did it right it would be like Orlando's mini version of Quincy Market in Boston with a splash or nightlife and retail to keep things interesting. From there I'm sure other locations would be snatched up around the CBD and Thornton Park for retail such as the street level of condo buildings or even the empty lot on Orange Ave near Livingston, what an eyesore.

Do you guys remember that Lou Pearlman was going to transform the Church Street Market area to have live music and vendors and such when he moved Transcontinental Studios there? That would have been alright if he wasn't such a fraud himself. Live music venues in Orlando have always been and will continue to be remarkable. We are a blessed city for music that needs to regain it's steam and popularity as such. Went to the Paramore show back in August and Haley Williams kept saying how Orlando was the bands second home and how they had played Backbooth, the Social, HOB, Hard Rock, etc, and that they even recorded their first album here. That spoke volumes to me about how well this city can be percieved by so many people in the real world yet trashed as a second rate tourist trap by so many on CD and other internet forums. Jealousy if you ask me.
That is a very good point about retail. I think if they added shopping, it would be busier. They don't have a movie theater and maybe a restaurant row which I think would be a good idea. I would love to see a Dave and Buster's or maybe a bowling alley. I know that have a movie theater and restaurants at Citywalk, but I think it would do well downtown too. I think they do a good job with adequate bars and clubs though.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That is a very good point about retail. I think if they added shopping, it would be busier. They don't have a movie theater and maybe a restaurant row which I think would be a good idea. I would love to see a Dave and Buster's or maybe a bowling alley. I know that have a movie theater and restaurants at Citywalk, but I think it would do well downtown too. I think they do a good job with adequate bars and clubs though.
I guess you haven't seen the Plaza then...

Plaza Cinema Cafe

Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,101,763 times
Quote:
I guess you haven't seen the Plaza then...

Plaza Cinema Cafe
Well, I guess I didn't.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think Dave and busters is going to I-Drive to where Race Rock was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando