Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Why move when you've just gotten a job and a place to live, and have a long range plan for something that will both support yourself comfortably and give something back to society?

Also nursing programs can be very competitive to get into these days. If she moves back with parents, she might not be able to get into a nursing school back in Illinois in a timely manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well then she might have to wait. Sorry,there is a sense of entitlement to her post.

Yes your student loans are due, they're called "loans", I had them and paid them back. Lots of people did that.

People shouldn't be encouraged to go on welfare and get food stamps. That is an absolute last resort.

I have no problem if someone gets laid off and has a family and needs help.

I do when someone comes on here looking for a handout. Go home and live with your parents and you won't have to worry about the landlord.

If she has to delay school for awhile so be it. But to expect or want welfare and food stamps so you can stay in FL, not an admireable way to go.

There is even resentment in her post that those with families gets help and she doesn't. It isn't designed for college students who have graduated and move 2,000 miles from home and don't have a job lined up.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I don't agree with seain dublin all that often, but I do this time.

The OP is in the same situation as many college grads these days. She then shows up on Orlando's doorstep with no good plan and expects that we, the tax payers, will support her while she gets additional education.

The correct answer should be "C"--get two jobs, pay down your debt, get some money in the bank, and then go back to school.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Eaxctly. "On my Own 85" isn't on her own at all. I am guessing she is 24 and moved to FL with no plan and no savings behind her.

She already is having a tough time and could end up getting evicted. Moving somewhere whether it is Orlando, Las Vegas, or LA with no job lined up was foolish.

You want to go back to school, do it in Illinois and live with your parents. It is not up to the taxpayer to pay your food and rent. I suspect the only interest in going back to school is to delay paying back on the student loans.

Go back to Illinois with a life lesson learned, and if you really want to go back to school do it "On your Own"and not expect welfare and food stamps because you moved away from home without a plan, no savings during a very bad economy.

I know it is tough to be a college grad these days, but you took a bad situation and made it worse by moving without a job lined up. Hopefully some of these people that are always on here wanting to move to Fl without jobs will learn from your mistake.

Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I disagree with some of you. The OP is in a pinch, a lot us have been there and since when did it become cool in America to be so anti-charitable. She's and her parents both have paid taxes and will continue to do so and if there is assistance to be eligible for than that's what it's there for, tough times.

What's the govt. doing with the money anyhow?......Foriegn aid to a bunch of ungrateful lunatics that burn Old Glory and would slash our throats if given a chance. To the OP.....among the other suggestions I would also try the local Catholic churches, some are helpful with food assistance and help with power bills.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
There's a difference between a hand up and a hand out.

As far as I'm concerned, this one's a hand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: