Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **noodles** View Post
this.

Every time you open your door either a lizard or frog tries to sneak in, then try for another hour trying to scare them from under your furniture while your spanish speaking neighbors look at you like your insane. damn things like to hide out in the garage!!!

when taxi drivers and bartenders make more than most "professional" people, also bellboys. bartenders, definitely possible. I would never be a taxi driver in orlando.

you have 5 different languages being spoken in the workplace and nobody can speak english properly, and giving advice to other 30 year-olds how to spell or say something correctly in english. i definitely hear ya on the 5 different languages thing. I just have to go outside in my neighborhood to listen to that stuff.

sand cranes waking you up in the morning, usually around 7am with their loud annoying squawks. i actually like them, i feel very "naturey" when i see them around...

no fences in between your neighbors yard, no privacy. i hate this!

entry level positions require 3 to 5 years experience lolololololol and pay $12/hr rofl!!

You feel like the last man standing at work because almost everyone you knew from the start has either been fired, layed off, or mgmt has found something really bad on your background and chooses "just" the right time to let people go. lots of turnover.

your neighbor (spanish btw) hasn't figured out yet that yelling into a cell phone makes absolutely no sense and you can practically hear the entire conversation even with your tv turned way up. preachin to the choir

Last edited by Keeper; 09-20-2009 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
The Youtube video was pretty funny. It was an interesting time musically and entertainment wise when Orlando was the birthplace of so many of the pop artists. What about Guts, Double Dare, etc?

Christina Aguilera is one of the most talented artists in all of music despite her beginnings so I am not sure why she's in the video as a negative.

A lot of these things are not unique to Orlando either like the languages, bad drivers, bad job outlook, etc.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
You know your in Orlando when your kid gets a great education at a great school, you have friendly neighbors, you always have something to do

Old 09-19-2009, 07:21 PM

64 posts, read 145,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
this.

Every time you open your door either a lizard or frog tries to sneak in, then try for another hour trying to scare them from under your furniture while your spanish speaking neighbors look at you like your insane.

When taxi drivers and bartenders make more than most "professional" people, also bellboys.

You have 5 different languages being spoken in the workplace and nobody can speak English properly, and giving advice to other 30 year-olds how to spell or say something correctly in English.

Sand Cranes waking you up in the morning, usually around 7AM with their loud annoying squawks.

No fences in between your neighbors yard, no privacy.

Entry level positions require 3 to 5 years experience LOLOLOLOLOLOL and pay $12/hr ROFL!! Seriously...I thought it was just me when I moved here, but I don't know how people can make it on these salaries.

You feel like the Last Man Standing at work because almost everyone you knew from the start has either been fired, layed off, or mgmt has found something really bad on your background and chooses "just" the right time to let people go.

Your neighbor (spanish btw) hasn't figured out yet that yelling into a cell phone makes absolutely no sense and you can practically hear the entire conversation even with your tv turned way up. LOL, true story!
Still a little new so I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly. Thanks everyone for your GREAT contributions to this post - all awesome stuff! I've read them all out loud to him while he was on his dinner break (he works the evening shift), and he was definitely amused. I cannot wait to show him the Youtube video.

Hmm...you know you're in Orlando when...

Everyone twentysomething you know (and some older than that) either lives with parents or two + roommates to be able to make it.

You can't go a day without using your horn when you're driving because some idiot cut you off.

You stop watching the local news because all that's reported is crime.

You find yourself becoming a really angry person because of your surroundings (I know, applicable anywhere).

Old 09-19-2009, 07:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,478 times
You know you're in Orlando when.....you feel like your breaking the law by using a turn signal.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
You know your in FL when you get rear ended and your first concern is the moron who hit you insured, not if you or anyone is hurt....LOL

In a state that has one of the highest rate of uninsured drivers that is always a concern.

You can't assume in FL that they have car insurance like most states.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You know your in FL when you get rear ended and your first concern is the moron who hit you insured, not if you or anyone is hurt....LOL.
So true...last March, an idiot girl rear-ended me at a red light, and even though she had insurance, she didn't have ENOUGH insurance to cover the wreck, which ended up costing ME out of pocket, thanks to No-Fault (which, I know, there are other No-Fault states, I acknowledge this).

Ugh...I'm like this when I'm on the road most of the time.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
People in Florida drive very aggressively...it's not an Orlando thing. I have lived in FL most of my life and I am used to it, even though I am not a very aggressive driver. Just let the people pass you and don't let it bother you. As for the other complaints...there are plenty of plusses to living here and the argument that there is no beach holds no..."water". 50 minutes to a nice beach is more than most people in this country can say.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
50 minutes to a nice beach is more than most people in this country can say.
Cocoa is a nice beach? LOL

Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Moderator cut: comment

Once SecretHoboSpice (Alex) gets home from his dreadful commute (we live in Casselberry, but his work is in the tourist part of Orlando - John Young & OBT intersection) and gets his Chinese food craving all worked out, he'll be back on the forum. I can't say it enough - thanks everyone for contributing so much - it's amazing how well his first post did and even though I read him your replies over the phone, he'll be thoroughly entertained when he sees them.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-20-2009 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando