Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 32,703 times

Advertisements

I see more Giants/Jets/Eagles stickers, hats and jerseys that I do Fins, Bucs or Jags... A lot of natives are Fins fans, but there arent too many natives left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I think it would be awesome even if they just shared a couple games with Orlando like they are currently discussing. That would be a great move to expand their fanbase into a territory currently split by Dolphins, Bucs, and Jags fans. I'm a Dolphins fan, but I would pay to see a Jags game for sure since there are no other football options here. Now Dolphins - Jags, or Bucs - Jags?...HUGE $$$.

However, if they moved here they would probably have the same problem they do in Jax. Once people actually get the team then they get bored when they aren't winning and lose interest.

The location in Parramore also means nothing. There are tons of stadiums in ghettos in the US...the problem is the stadium is just not up to NFL spec and that would be a requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMngr View Post
I see more Giants/Jets/Eagles stickers, hats and jerseys that I do Fins, Bucs or Jags... A lot of natives are Fins fans, but there arent too many natives left.
Don't the local stations pick up games based on what game would get watched the most in that area, thus would bring in the most advertising dollars? They always broadcast either the Bucs, Jags, or Fins here over any other team.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 32,703 times
If you go to Charlotte, the Panthers games are always on. Same with Atlanta. I dont know about you, but a lot of times the Fins games are not televised and the Jags games are blackout a lot. I think the Bucs have a good attendence, although when they play the Giants or somebody like that, you'll see 1/4 of the stadium has the wrong colors on.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Yes, that is just what the NFL wants a football team in Parramore to improve the leagues image. The Citrus Bowl is so disgusting birds don't fly over it. Dream on!!!
It has been said many times that the Citrus Bowl can not support an NFL team. They would have to build a completely new facility. I do not see an NFL team coming to Orlando anytime soon.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM

258 posts, read 811,938 times
Wow this would be awesome. Orlando is very football hungry, but the Tampa Bay Bucs have never really caught the attention of Orlando residents too much. Tampa has tried to make Orlando a secondary market but I don't feel like it's ever caught on. This is a great move on the Jags part.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
I think it'd be nice if Orlando gets a few Jaguars home games next season. However, I don't think Orlando could support an NFL football team. There aren't nearly enough people and as you head out to Polk county those people are solid Bucs fans. Someone mentioned a 2.1 million metro population. That number is incredibly decptive and includes Daytona down to Cocoa Beach and west to Lakeland. A true measure of the metro population would take in about half the land area. I think 1 million would more accurately reflect the area and the city is only slightly above 200,000 people. In any event, I'd like to see Orlando get the Jaguars but a city like Las Vegas or Salt Lake would make more sense.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Although I think a the Jags would be better off in Orlando I'm not sure it's a move that would happen because there are bigger markets out there. As to the first half of my statement, given the larger population and the intensity for football here it's reasonable to expect the Jags to do well here. Yes there are already fans from other areas of the country but Central Florida in general is just very football crazy.

The Magic do well here and we are not even a basketball town. Very few college or pro players coming from our area, fairly dim spotlight for both high school and college ball here. Now compare that to football where Central FL regularly produces dozens of D1 players and high school football here gets it's own show on the weekends. The Sentinel does extensive coverage of local high school games and follows individual players closely. Growing up here football was and still is king. Take also how popular UCF football is here even though they are a mediocre program at best. Given all this it seems the Jags would do well here.

That being said, NFL teams really seem to prosper in either very large markets or where there is a deep rooted history with the team. Sometimes even the later doesn't prove enough. Just as Jacksonville is doing, the Buffalo Bills will start playing regular season games in Toronto to expand their fanbase. On top of that the second largest market in the US, Los Angeles has been without a team for decades now. I would not foresee Las Vegas or Salt Lake as NFL cities, nor any other mid size cities, but would think that LA would be next in line for a franchise.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 AM

316 posts, read 1,036,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
There are plenty of football fans here to support a couple games a year and sell out those games, especially against other Florida teams. Florida is crazy about football, Orlando included. However, I don't think Orlando could support a pro team. It's just too transient here and there is not enough wealth. The Magic are well supported, but the NBA is better suited to a city Orlando's size.
Not questioning the football fan population, it's the brand of football. Florida is mostly HS and college. Orlando itself is more NBA (and not greatly like NYC or any other large city).

The transient nature of Orlando is the largest issues for any sports team, plus it's said by your neighboring cities - Orlando just isn't a sports town. Now before you go shoot off on that one - compare it to LA, Chicago, NYC, Baltimore, etc... it really isn't. Tampa is more of one - football, baseball, hockey - the bases are covered except for bball.

Also it's not wealth that supports a team - it's interest and want - if you have that you'll find people that can't pay their electric bill buying a ticket. Again re:- NYC, chicago, etc.

Lastly Jacksonville reaks the Bucs are too close and I can't say they don't have their fair share of odor this year either. Dolphins are far enough away so that's not a consideration.

Everything considered it's a stupid move. It's not going to make them winners, it would add something to Orlando to mess up Sundays on the 408 since Orlando isn't even ready for this. Maybe he should try South Carolina......

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM

30 posts, read 623,244 times
I think it's good idea for Jags to play just few games in Orlando. Buffalo did couple of games in Hamilton, Canada to increase fan support there. But to move a team to Orlando permanently probably not a good idea. Obviously like some posters said, stadium isn't up to NFL standards. Even if they do, Bucs won't like it and may vote against Orlando franchise. I think NFL require 90% of 32 teams vote to approve, I'm not sure.

LA is probably next city to get a team. LA is one of largest market cities in America.

Las Vegas will never get a major pro team in any sport. Why? Gambling!

Salt Lake isn't a bad option for NFL. Utah already have strong football fanbase for BYU and Univ of Utah.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I could honestly see a major international city getting an NFL franchise before a mid size American city. I know it sound CRAZY but I really could see Toronto or London or one of the former NFL Europe cities receiving a team before an Orlando, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Portland or Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando