Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM

26 posts, read 118,461 times

Advertisements

Im moving to the orlando area from PA, and thats all I can say....and it sux. I dont know where to go, whats the best city around their to move to, the most affordable, yada yada yada...i need massive help!!! I work as a CNA (nursing assistant ), my bf is in painting and general construction. I looked into titusville, melbourne, sanford, casselberry. They all seem good, but wut do I know, google only goes so far. We want to rent an apartment, I want an average salary at a nursing home or whatever, semi-safe neighborhood i guess, be by the coast, or at least within driving distance of it and of Orlando (love the Magic). Please, anybody...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
Okay, I'll bite...if it sux so bad, why are you moving?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML-PleaseHelp View Post
Im moving to the orlando area from PA, and thats all I can say....and it sux. I dont know where to go, whats the best city around their to move to, the most affordable, yada yada yada...i need massive help!!! I work as a CNA (nursing assistant ), my bf is in painting and general construction. I looked into titusville, melbourne, sanford, casselberry. They all seem good, but wut do I know, google only goes so far. We want to rent an apartment, I want an average salary at a nursing home or whatever, semi-safe neighborhood i guess, be by the coast, or at least within driving distance of it and of Orlando (love the Magic). Please, anybody...
If you want to be between the coast and Orlando I would reccommend an apartment complex in east orange county. There are plenty to choose from since UCF is in the area. Crime isn't much of an issue in that area either.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,375 times
Does your boyfriend have a job lined up? Jobs in construction are pretty much non-existent down here.

-Harry

Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM

No, he doesn't have a job a job lined up, I was hoping he could find something that involves painting. And it sux trying to get everything organized, but the position im in right now at my current location is what sux !! But I need to get away, thanks for the advice so far guys.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
I moved here from PA 10 yrs ago and don't regret it one bit. I'd try looking for jobs first if you could. If you have money saved up, I'd stay at an Extended- Stay here for at least a month and scope things out. See what opportunities there are. I don't think you'd have a problem finding a CNA job which pays about $8/hr. As for your bf, a painting job maybe difficult to find. Look on Craigslist for jobs too.

After you figure out where you'll be working, you will have plenty of opportunities for places to live. Where are you in PA?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Im living in a town called Hazleton, about 1 1/2 or so outside of philadelphia.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM

115 posts, read 319,352 times
Default Hello

I assume by your thread that you are moving to East Orlando Area?
I am not familiar with west Orlando, but lived in E. Orlando as well as nearby Bithlo and not-so close by Melbourne.

I agree with above that getting a CNA job will be rather easy, but construction could prove to be very hard. He might want to start applying to jobs while your still up there in PA,...and can at least be corresponding back and forth with employers, and maybe land a job.

As for where to live, Melbourne is a VERY far commute in my opinion. If your not commuting during normal morning/evening commute hours, its around 1hr and 15min to get into Orlando. Otherwise, its closer to 2 hours. Jobs are rather scare in Brevard County and a lot of people have took jobs in Orlando and commute every day. However, you will definately find affordable housing there. If you do, be wary of places around Sarno Rd, and stay away from anything off of University Blvd!
Titusville isn't the nicest place from what I have seen and heard, but the commute would only be around 30 - 40 min into Orlando, and again, its cheaper to live there than Orlando. The area is fairly becoming desolate because for so long Nasa had supplied thousands of jobs, and they have laid off many, and plan to lay off thousands more in the next few years.
Also by the coasts, if you do not mind driving a lot, check out Rockledge. It's very hit or miss as far as safety/affordabilty is concerned though.

Sanford has a few nice spots, but all in all is rather ghetto. It has a nice mall, and that's about it. It is also around 45 min away during commute hours away from East Orlando, unless you pay a rather large toll everyday on the 417 (East/West Expressway). If you don't mind that commute, check out Lake Mary instead.
Casselberry is nice if you can afford it. The traffic is the worst on your lists, but that just comes with wanting to live in Orlando. Casselberry is close to about any store/service you could imagine in Orlando. The commute is around 20 - 30 minutes depending on where you work.
I would also check out Maitland and Altamonte Springs if your job is East/North Orlando.
A lot of people rave about Avalon Park, but honestly its overpriced as well as the commute is aweful. A 10 minute trip takes you about 40 minutes in the morning/afternoon...there are only a few ways in and out, and they are all mega jammed up with cars and people.

Last, try VERY hard to not have to include taking I-4 in your commute everyday. It is the most traffic filled/accident prone/horrific ever!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML-PleaseHelp View Post
Im living in a town called Hazleton, about 1 1/2 or so outside of philadelphia.
Ahhh...that is near Big Boulder Used to ski there when I lived there..nice little town in the Pocono area! My car broke down up there once...in the snow..lol! Ah...well... We just moved down here from PA as well...feel free to PM me if you have specific questions and I will try and help here on your thread as I am able

Why do you want to move to Florida as opposed to just trying another town there in PA?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times
Default Becareful

Becareful not to leap from the pan and into the fire.Iam from orlando and had to leave to find work.I live in sd now and found work pretty fast.I wish I cound come home but almost all my friends there are warning me away and are also asking me about jobs here.yes the cold here sucks but Iam able to pay my bills here. so maybe you should look really hard before you make any moves. good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando