Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,587 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving from Michigan to Orlando or some other part of Florida, or to a Chicago suburb next year sometime in, 2011.... at this point im not sure what to do, im almost 29 years old with a business administration degree and a few years at a company, and my girlfriend, 24, needs to find a music teaching job before we move, but will have 2 years of experience teaching music. My questions are this: Which area has a better long term outlook for jobs and economy? And which area do you think a person looking for a music teaching job could get hired easier?
I realize that I would be able to come home easier to Michigan from Illinois, its only a short drive and from Florida its a plane ride home. My mother has arthritus bad and Id like to come home a couple times a year, a couple weeks a year. I'm really stuck on the situation and asking people from Orlando area and Chicago area for their opinions. My girlfriend and I would like to live in a larger area, but not too large. And we will be buying a house also in the next couple of years so where we move we would like to stay for 10 years or more. We realize Florida has hot summers, and Chicago area has cold winters, but it isnt a big problem, we are from northern lower Michigan where the winters are colder anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,455 times
In Orlando area, Don't think there will be many teaching jobs this next year available and the musical ones might be nil since they may get cut out of schools.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
In Orlando area, Don't think there will be many teaching jobs this next year available and the musical ones might be nil since they may get cut out of schools.
Yep. I just checked the website of the elementary school where I used to teach (1st grade) and music is no longer listed as one of the "specials". (like art, PE, etc) I guess it is gone.

Odds of getting a music position in FL are slim to none, esp without any local connections.

From the state of the Illinois budget gap, things don't seem very good up there either. Maybe try private schools or charters?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Ive seen some music teaching jobs online for florida at schoolspring.com, and other florida teaching websites... i also read a couple of years ago they made it into law that the class sizes had to be smaller in Florida, so that could possibly attract new teachers. But as far as economically, what area of Florida is doing best? I assume that is the best possibility to find a job in the state of Florida for a teacher, and for a business person like myself.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM

The class size amendment will amost certainly be put on hold by the legislature. There simply is no money to hire new teachers. The district where I used to work has not had a raise since I left 4 years ago.

Keep in mind that if a layoff has to occur, the first year teachers will be the first cut. (anyone new to that district) Then you can also be cut for any reason within the first 3 years. The stimulus money runs out summer 2011, so it will be very tough indeed after the 2010-2011 school year to keep a job if you are in years 1-3.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 PM

238 posts, read 742,816 times
Do an on-line search for teaching jobs and apply, get a commitment for her job. Depending on where your company job is located and where she lands a instrutor's job will determine what area you would want to look at in Greater Orlando. I'd recommend that you rent for a few months, be it in Orlando or Chicago so you can see where the better place to live would be. Traffic in Orlando and Chicago is heavy, so the commute may play a factor in where you end up.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Although the economy is terrible, there still may be some open positions. I mean, people get married and move, some women have babies and decide to stay home, people go to grad school, people move home to be closer to an ill family member, etc. There was a story in the Orlando Sentinel (our major newspaper) this past summer about how Orange County Public Schools was hiring teachers new to the county over the teachers who were laid off for budgetary reasons in May. So, although this market is tough for a lot of people, I do not believe things are impossible.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 PM

I realize the economy is terrible and I just got alot of replies saying that llinois teaching positions are hard to come by as well.. as far as in Florida, any of you Florida natiaves know which areas are best right now economically?

Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM

All counties are in terrible shape, and will be a lot worse when the stimulus money runs out. Some counties are trying to pass a temporary tax increase to fund the schools. (I think Seminole was one of those - that would be the Lake Mary area.) Of course, for the best areas, you will have hundreds of applicants for each job.

I would get a plan B if I were you. Can she get certification in an area other than music? (add something else on) How about starting as a sub in the regular classroom? (but get in line behind all the other jobless people who want to be subs all of the sudden)

Seriously, I think her chances are almost nill but might be a little better if you she can broaden her search area to something other than music (which of course means she has zero experience in that subject and will be at the bottom of the barrel) I know this is harsh, but my friends back in FL tell me things are bleak. My friend in Gainesville told me there were 300 teachers in her district who wanted jobs but didn't get a position last fall. (and these are teachers who can teach any grade like K-8, not just music). She was able to get hired in part through personal connections.

Oh and finally, if you do find a position, prepare for a major change from the conditions that you enjoyed up north. Mainly no union rights, and more expensive insurance. (you already know the pay is a lot less) I don't mean to be harsh, but you need to realize that chances are very, very slim for her to find a job at all.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 PM

67 posts, read 218,630 times
Check educationamerica.net and teachers-teachers.com - I've seen some Florida positions pop up on those job boards. There is currently one for string teachers in Polk County (Lakeland area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando