Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,377 times

Advertisements

I'm in my upper 20's and looking for a place where i will have the best chance to make money in the service industry and have a fun social life. I'm torn between Orlando and South Florida as I have some friends in both area's. I work in the restaurant industry but have customer service experience as well.

The offseason is coming up soon and Im worried about finding steady work. I like to go out to bars and clubs too and live in area's where it is not a big deal to go out, places that are close to nightlife.

Any young people out there who have been to both area's that can help me decide which one will be better for me? I've been to both area's but not long enough to make an overly educated decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:36 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,921 times
Quote:
The offseason is coming up soon and Im worried about finding steady work. I like to go out to bars and clubs too and live in area's where it is not a big deal to go out, places that are close to nightlife.
It's getting closer to spring and summer...how is that the off-season?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm in my upper 20's and looking for a place where i will have the best chance to make money in the service industry and have a fun social life. I'm torn between Orlando and South Florida as I have some friends in both area's. I work in the restaurant industry but have customer service experience as well.

Any young people out there who have been to both area's that can help me decide which one will be better for me? I've been to both area's but not long enough to make an overly educated decision.
The tourist season is just beginning in Orlando (spring and summer). Downtown Orlando is full of locals, so there is no off season.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM

200 posts, read 538,518 times
If you're only going to rent then go for South Florida. Main reason I am in Orlando is because it is more affordable for homeowners (insurance is much cheaper since there's less hurricane risk here than on the coast, and prop taxes are a bit lower). As for service jobs, I can't say, both areas seem to be struggling. edit: Yeah, I agree, tourist season is getting busy so Orlando might be a bit better.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I think Orlando will be younger and more fun for what you described, but in some places maybe too young because it does have a huge student population (19-24). In the service industry the jobs are plentiful when the economy permits. Palm Beach is more traditional, but the income disparity is larger. There are very wealthy areas and really scuzzy areas of West Palm Beach. There are resorts, golf courses and other service industry jobs but not to the same degree. The population is also a little older demographically.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I went down to south florida for a brief stay to visit a friend, who still wants me to go down there.

We went to delray beach and enjoyed the clubs. I had a blast down there and found the people to be refreshingly friendly, hot, and the girls to be flirty. I felt a breath of class that I haven't felt in central florida that made me really happy. There seemed to be this gleam in peoples eyes and attitudes that I don't notice up here.

That being said things seem more spread out. I wouldn't want to live in Miami I don't think and then the next largest place is lauderdale, which reminded me more of central florida.

I like central florida but it definately seems a lot different from many area's in south florida. With Orlando there seems to be more job openings in a smaller radius, which makes things easier as far as planning goes. Orlando night life seems more like new york night life would be and south florida night life seems more like what southern california nightlife might be but with less exclusivity (at least outside of southbeach).

With Orlando the downside is it's a city in economic trouble so where there might be 50-100 applicants against me down there in south florida, there will be 200-300 in Orlando at least. The biggest question is if it's harder as a guy who's not 6'4 with a perfect smile to get hired as a server in Orlando or in South florida. Then of course there is also the consideration that come June business will drop in south florida but from what I hear it will not necessarily drop in Orlando.

Other than that I think the fun and nightlife you have to give to Orlando (if you don't count miami in with south florida). The nightlife is abundant and in a small area radius.

I have a lot of friends interested in me coming to Orlando and in my visits to Orlando I have found the cities "buzz" to be attractive to me. I haven't run into this ghetto criminal city thing that had me worried about moving to Orlando before, but then again i'm sure there are places I could find that. lol.

Decisions decisions.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,952 times
If you really like serious clubing maybe South Beach is the best for you, there`s really not that many real clubs in West Palm Beach...but then again, if you spend more because of the cost of living then you could not go out as much as you want too...I speak for myself but I would choose Orlando instead.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrabred View Post
If you really like serious clubing maybe South Beach is the best for you, there`s really not that many real clubs in West Palm Beach...but then again, if you spend more because of the cost of living then you could not go out as much as you want too...I speak for myself but I would choose Orlando instead.
That's how I'm leaning right now. I do like serious clubbing but from what my friends say southbeach is too exclusive and expensive which offsets the joy of going out and having fun. Orlando seems to have enough spots to keep me preoccupied and with my friend living in south florida and the hostel they have on south beach Im sure I will have some time to taste the southbeach scene on a few occassions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando