Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 11:15 PM

146 posts, read 468,509 times

Advertisements

I am in town for another event and wanted to watch Monday morning's space shuttle launch. I am planning on watching from Space View Park in Titusville. With the scheduled 6:30am launch, how early is it suggested that I arrive to get a viewing spot and any recommended places to park?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,052,640 times
I have seen the past 2 night launches at Space View Park, both times I went we got there about 2 hours early. The first launch (went 2 times since first time was scrubbed) in August there were no crowds at all. The one in February was on a Sunday night and people had been camping out all day so it was extremely crowded, that night the launch was scrubbed and the next night there was no crowd at all and we got a fantastic view. I wish I could help you out with the parking, but I am not too familar with the are. I can suggest that you drive around for a few minutes before you pay for parking as there are plenty of places to park for free. We have parked in a lot that had a gate on it across the street from the Buger King, but I do not know the name of it. One night when it was not busy we parked in the BK parking lot since the BK was closed that night. Since the wait is kind of long I would suggest to bring some kind of folding chair. Just be careful too, people who camp out all day become extremely territorial, and would almost start fights with people who arrived last minute and pushed their way through to the front. I find it really just depends I, since both launches we arrived around the same time and 1 night it was packed and the other 3 it was not. That being said though, it is without a doubt definitely worth the time to see the shuttle go off, it's amazing.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:02 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
If you can't make it all the way out there then one of the best places I know of to see it is from St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Oviedo.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Night launches are so bright you can see them just as good from the east side of metro Orlando. They light up the whole sky, I always watch them from my front yard and the view is great.

From Orlando:

From Titusville:

The only thing you miss out on in Orlando is the view of it taking off from the ground, you can't see until its a few miles up in the sky.

Last edited by GLS2010; 04-04-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando