Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why would you WANT to move back? Especially if you do not have to.
Maybe for the same reason some of us NC folks want to move to FL...not everybody likes/wants the same things...to each their own, live and let live and all that jazz...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,214,024 times
LOL I'm the same way. I can conduct business in spanish, but when someone starts talking to me in spanish or asks if I know spanish I tell them no. THE business language throughout the world is English, that and I want to feel like I'm still in AMERICA! It goes both ways. I like to fool the spanish speakers because I can undertstand most of what they're saying, when I told them I don't.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:34 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I agree with Crane's Rooster. I have hispanic friends and they all speak english when I hang out with them, but they do speak spanish fluently, some dont speak spanish at all and prefer NOT to speak spanish

The ones who DO speak spanish and only spanish usually are older latino/a's the ones who do have very thick barely audible accents. I have a co-worker who is 61 years old from the Dominican Republic, and I can hardly understand him when he speaks english, yet he has lived in America since 1968, so he should know more english but he doesn't

Crane, the point you made about people speaking another language because they don't want to talk to somebody is true. My hispanic friends will actually speak spanish when they see a non-latino they do not want to talk to

I have noticed a lot of racism towards white people from hispanics lately, has anybody else seen this?

I have actually noticed the opposite when it comes to the racism. Around the time I was in middle school (2003-2006) Back then it seemed like the cool thing for people to do was try to act "gangster". Most all of the hispanics in my school tried to dress like thugs, listened to rap or reggaton and tried act as least white as possible, they were still cool people though and I was friends with a lot of them. But now when ever I see the middle schoolers walking home or getting off the bus, most all the spanish kids are dressing like skaters, preps, rockers etc . Even in my high school it seems like most of the hispanics are dressing and act more stereotypically white. You wouldn't believe how many kids my freshman year who acted like wanna be gangsters, even white people, who now don't act anything like that. I think the whole "gangster" thing in general is going out of style in mainstream media while other life styles are becoming more popular and thats whats causing it. I think that also helps explian why the crime rate is gown down dramatically here and all across the US. Another reason why I don't think racism is on the increase is because now a days I've been seeing more interracial social groups than ever before.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM

631 posts, read 2,452,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
I would stay in NC. Personally, I would love to move to NC, or a lot of places actually, just to get out of Orlando and Florida.
Why would you WANT to move back? Especially if you do not have to.
It is hot here already. We went from cold to summer within a few days and now it will stay like this until December. Yuck. I think Orlando just keeps getting worse the longer I live here ( been here over 25 years)

We are looking at property in Virginia at the moment, just north of the NC border.
How exactly would you call it "hot" here? Right now it's around 80. ... and according to Weather.com the entire eastern coast is up in the 80s.

We most definitely did not go from Winter to Summer in a few days. 80s is Spring here as a simple google search will tell you that average temps for April are High 83°-Low 60° The average in May is 88.

Why are people so dead set on giving exaggerated misinformation?

EDIT - What I find hilarious about this is that it's 83 degrees along the area SGS123 wants to move to, and in fact the high is supposed to be 86.

http://www.nbc12.com/

Old 04-08-2010, 01:58 PM

We were just at Aquatica this past Saturday and it was almost too chilly for me to be running around on the waterslides...

Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
This is true about the NC part, there were/are work crews doing roofing on our section of townhomes we live in and coming and going yesterday and today, there was not one that wasn't speaking spanish amongst the whole 20 some guys that were up there...

In construction, the majority of workers in any state will most likely be Mexican. I like Mexicans - they work hard, they do what they're told when on the job site, etc. I know I'm in Real Estate Development, and Mexicans are great to work with, they really are.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I have actually noticed the opposite when it comes to the racism. Around the time I was in middle school (2003-2006) Back then it seemed like the cool thing for people to do was try to act "gangster". Most all of the hispanics in my school tried to dress like thugs, listened to rap or reggaton and tried act as least white as possible, they were still cool people though and I was friends with a lot of them. But now when ever I see the middle schoolers walking home or getting off the bus, most all the spanish kids are dressing like skaters, preps, rockers etc . Even in my high school it seems like most of the hispanics are dressing and act more stereotypically white. You wouldn't believe how many kids my freshman year who acted like wanna be gangsters, even white people, who now don't act anything like that. I think the whole "gangster" thing in general is going out of style in mainstream media while other life styles are becoming more popular and thats whats causing it. I think that also helps explian why the crime rate is gown down dramatically here and all across the US. Another reason why I don't think racism is on the increase is because now a days I've been seeing more interracial social groups than ever before.
It was the same way with the wannabe gangster crowd when I was in middle school (2001-2004) and I went to an inner-city school in Connecticut that was mostly black and hispanic, so the "gangsta" culture there was huge

After middle school we moved to a town in Connecticut that was 90% white people, and my freshman year I still saw the wannabe gangsters

My sophomore year I transferred to Freedom High School here in Orlando where I attended until I graduated in 2008, by my senior year everybody seemed to be following the skater trend, rocker, pretty stuff liek that, but there were still a lot of "gangster" people. Freedom High School is only 33% white btw

Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 AM

67 posts, read 128,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
How exactly would you call it "hot" here? Right now it's around 80. ... and according to Weather.com the entire eastern coast is up in the 80s.

We most definitely did not go from Winter to Summer in a few days. 80s is Spring here as a simple google search will tell you that average temps for April are High 83°-Low 60° The average in May is 88.

Why are people so dead set on giving exaggerated misinformation?

EDIT - What I find hilarious about this is that it's 83 degrees along the area SGS123 wants to move to, and in fact the high is supposed to be 86.

NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA | - Home

Intellicast - Lynchburg Weather Report in Virginia (24502)

It is hotter in Orlando, and more humid than in western Viriginia most of the time. There are few months in the summer it can get hot in Virginia, but Orlando is hot ALL the time except a few months. We left Orlando a few days before Christmas last year to drive up north. It was 85 degrees when we left, we were sweating while loading our stuff. When we got to western Virginia, we got stuck in a snowstorm Not too many of those here in Orlando....
Anything over 80 degrees in hot to me btw. I would like it to be around 70. ( we are rethinking Virginia btw. I would really like to move to Vermont)

Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Anything over 80 degrees in hot to me btw. I would like it to be around 70.
Well then that's relative to your likes and dislikes. To me anything under 75 lately is almost chilly...it's all in the perspective. To you it may be too hot already; to other's it could be let's bring on the 90+ temp and they're lovin' it...

Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I agree with Crane's Rooster. I have hispanic friends and they all speak english when I hang out with them, but they do speak spanish fluently, some dont speak spanish at all and prefer NOT to speak spanish

The ones who DO speak spanish and only spanish usually are older latino/a's the ones who do have very thick barely audible accents. I have a co-worker who is 61 years old from the Dominican Republic, and I can hardly understand him when he speaks english, yet he has lived in America since 1968, so he should know more english but he doesn't

Crane, the point you made about people speaking another language because they don't want to talk to somebody is true. My hispanic friends will actually speak spanish when they see a non-latino they do not want to talk to

I have noticed a lot of racism towards white people from hispanics lately, has anybody else seen this?

Yes, absolutely so. It seems to be this "only me matters" attitude. I dont see it necessarily against white people, but just people in general. I'm only talking about what I see, so please spare me the racist comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando