Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in Houston, TX and I feel I need to make some big changes. I am debating on relocating to two potential cities back east, Orlando being one. I've always been a Florida-phile and central Florida is similar in climate to Houston (although maybe not as humid). I have a trip planned for training/seminar for August and as a prelim tour of the area. I'd really appreciate any feedback I could get about any of the following areas:

Quality of Life: I've been reading several of the posts here to get some idea of peoples' opinions on the city, crime, jobs, areas of town, etc. The major complaint seems to be about traffic which I am not too concerned about (Houston=4.5 mil people and has horrendous traffic). I am a golfer and see there are over 120 public courses in the area.
Why is crime so high? (much higher rate than rest of FL or here)
Has your life been effected by the crime rate?
Complaints about traffic make me think that there is lots of urban sprawl. Are most professional jobs downtown or is econ development spread out over city?
What areas of the metro area do I definitely want to stay away from?

Social Life: I am early 40's single straight male w/no kids so I am wondering what might be available to me. I see that the median age in metro area is late 30's with women outnumbering men (Yeah!)
What areas of town are cosmopolitan? What are more family?
If you are similar (late 30's/early 40's), where do you go/what do you do for fun and to meet people?
Are there many Catholic churches in the area (I'm Catholic)?

Money: I have been researching the economic and job outlook for Orlando and it reads positive. I am a network administrator and accounting operations professional with a MBA so I would like opinions on professional job opportunities and job outlook. I've been applying online but I may move without a job lined up.
Beyond the complaints of low paying/Disney type jobs, what do other professionals think of the local job market?
What experiences did you have the most recent time you looked for a new job? How long did it take for you to find your job?

I am committed to leaving Houston by Sept (I've given notice and sold my house). Any feedback would be great. I can do the research online but that doesn't tell me how it effects real people.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times
I would say that when they planned building the Orlando area that they didn't know so many people would be living here in such a fast time and that with the fact of the flood of immigrants has created alot of problems with the city of Orlando.

Crime is an issue....some people do exadurate it a little bit ....it just matters if you take precautions like knowing what to do in certain areas of town.....i am from Miami and when i was there i always had my guard up, but i lived in Altamonte Springs (a suburb of Orlando) and a guy robbed me at gunpoint but i would say it was mostly my fault because i was trying to be generous and offer him some change since i didnt have a cigarette he asked for, and my guard was down and he pulled a gun and took everything i had.

Well the traffic is a problem because the growth of the city was a lot faster than expected.....

but i like living here.....I live near Universal Blvd......and im close to the attractions in a quite area but close to stuff...not the country but a new development by I-Drive.......I would say that most days going from a suburb to downtown that the traffic starts getting busy around 3-3:30pm and then its jammed stop and go around 5 - 6:30.....

Orlando has become more diverse but crime has definatly gone up since i moved here in 2000. Some dude got shot at a traffic light the other day for honking at the person in front of him to go when the light turned green....

but there is alot to do even if some Northeasterners dont think so....they just miss thier cities and thats why there are complaints...there's plenty to do here too keep occupied

Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 AM

Default One more thing

Yeah i forgot to add about what there is to do for you since you are in your 40's.

here are some places to go just with you and your wife which i recommend for locals

Well a really good part of town to visit for you would be Doctor Phillips. It has a bunch of nice resturants and lots of nice shoping with some nightlife. It is really close to International drive.

The Samba Room is a really nice Club/Bar/Resturant in Doctor Phillips. Winter Park also has the same kind of stuff and if i was in my 40's i would enjoy that. Downtown Orlando is not going to really be your cup of tea unless you are going to a basketball game or to a concert or comedy club....other than that i would stay away from downtown at night because thats when all the young party type of people and the thugs come and go to all the clubs.

CityWalk at Universal Studios would be a nice place if you want to go to a relaxing club/movies/resturants without all the "party crowds....they have lots of people but mostly tourists just looking to relax and thats where i go when i dont wanna bother with people wanting to start a fight or something..

Waterford Lakes is a really nice clean area with movies shops and some nightlife like bars but im not too sure what else they have there because i havent been to all they have.

As for stuff to do with kids for locals...

Old Town is a good place if you wanna go on some rides and go shopping or to see some attractions ...its like an open air fair but with a street that has shops and haunted house and arcades and all sorts of different stores for amusement and it has alot of fair type rides and as a local i prefer something like this or Fun Spot or Magical Midway instead of the theme parks.

Downtown Disney has about 7 different types of clubs and also at downtown Disney and they have House of Blues which has concerts every week and a resturant and bar. Downtown Disney also has DisneyQuest which is like a GIANT 5 story Arcade which has tons of games and things like bumper cars and you can build your own virtual rollercoaster and ride it......

If you wanna go to the beach with your family. I would suggest going towards Clearwater beach near Tampa or Siesta Key near Sarasota....it takes about an hour or so to get there but they are alot better than Daytona or Cocoa.....the only beaches i would go to on the atlantic is up in Flagler county

The gulf coast beaches have nicer people usually and white sand with clear water and its more family oriented

Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 AM

Sorry i missread and thought you had kids....well just incase you meet a lasy down here and have kids there are some suggestions....lol......but i would still as a single guy go towards the gulf coast beaches like Clearwater it has younger people and is right near Tampa and has better looking water and nice sand....i saw lots of girls there last time i went.....it's beautifull Sarasota and Siesta key beaches are more family and old people beaches and Daytona is an ugly beach and thats just my opinion

Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times
Default New comer feedback...

I'm here on and off for business and thinking of staying.

Quality of Life:
Nice weather.
Lots to do.
Many good restaurants.

Social Life:
Don't know, I don't party much these days. There are lots of nice looking bar/restaurant settings.

Money:
If you're not making at least $75K/year you're gonna' be a peasant.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Default Heathrow, Lake Mary, etc

Don't tell NG this but the following areas sound like they could be a good fit for you:

Lake Mary
Outskirts of Heathrow
Winta Pawk (locals know the difference between Winter Park and Winta Pawk)
Winta Pawk is the old $$ in town. But has a great shopping/dining area around Park Ave.
Heathrow/Lake Mary is full of young professionals, has great shopping and a more laid back "night life" scene with the building of the Colonial TownPark area.
Dr Phillips also has Plaza Venezia, which is like the Colonial TownPark only on a larger scale.

There is also Baldwin Park but to be honest, I don't know that much about it, to me it's still the "Old Navy Base."

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I'm familiar with as my husband and I frequent all three.

Happy Hunting!!

Last edited by Granny Sue; 06-14-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando